• This section of the forum was maintained by our good friend Mister Moo who was taken from us last year
    Recent topics are being moved and this section is now closed and preserved in memory of Dan

First Meer tobacco recommendations please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MakDragon

Wizard of PSF
Patron
I just recently took the plunge and bought an apple Meer from Altinok. I suppose it will be here sometime in the next month. My question to all you meer experts is, what would you suggest as my first toby in this gem?
I like mild aros like SWRA but also love Penzance, Orlik Golden Sliced, Carter Hall and my favorite english blend, Fr Dempsey.
Just looking for suggestions from the meer-sperts!

Morse

+1. I gave this a lot of thought this weekend before using my IMP meer for the first time. After asking this exact question I smoked my fav tobacco - Dans Blue Note. It has never burned so cool or tasted or smelled so good. Without doubt one of my best smokes yet.

Chriss

If you like aros ( and I still do) it's one of the best IMO
Ive only ever had captain black ( blue) and david's blend ( black cavendish aromatic) and thats only 2 bowl on the david lol XD!!

but both are regular behind the counter tobacco so im thinking the quality must be higher on pretty much any specialty tobacco (aromatic or not lol) !!

Mington

+1. I gave this a lot of thought this weekend before using my IMP meer for the first time. After asking this exact question I smoked my fav tobacco - Dans Blue Note. It has never burned so cool or tasted or smelled so good. Without doubt one of my best smokes yet.
You know I love Blue Note, but never smoked it in a meer (I have 2 meers) I just might have to try that this week, Thanks!:th1:

Mister Moo

Gone but not forgotten
Staff member
Smoke 'em all. That's one of the best things about a meer. :)

(Personally, I'm very partial to anything with latakia in a meer. - the nuance-ier the better.)

t-bear

Agree on the Favorite to christen your meerschaum, but I've found over the years, that dark aromatics and Cavendish heavy tobaccos will color faster. I'm not a big fan of aros, but still smoke them occasionally. If you're an aromatic/Cavendish fan...best of both worlds.

FlatbushPaul

Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker
"For Meerschaums Only", created by Steve Books... www.houseofcalabash.com. :D

Seriously, the best tobacco to start with is your favorite. It'll probably show you a side you never saw before, or at least further define what you know about it. Best to go with the blend you are most familiar with.
I wholeheartedly agree. If you plan on acquiring several more , then you can start dedicating to various types of tobacco blends. But if you plan on only having one or two, then it's best to smoke your favorite tobacco in it.
I try to do that with every "special" pipe that I buy. Whether it's Meer or Briar.

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.