• This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

First New Briar - Savinelli Trevi 616

Status
Not open for further replies.

ocipio

I bought my first brand new briar, a Savinelli Trevi 616 (Black Rustic). I was a little hesitant getting a new briar since I had issues with two antiques I bought. It comes with balsam filters to help with moisture, which I used for the first few smokes. But since, I have replaced the filter with the plastic piece. It has a nice thick stem.

I am very glad I bought this though. What an excellent smoker. The first few smokes I was patient to make sure it didn't too hot so I could build up a little cake. After 5 or 6 smokes now, it only gets slightly warm now and only when I get about 2/3 of the way through.

Many of you know I had issues with moisture, but after reading a few things when smoking Virginia flakes, I do not have the problem anymore. Basically, I have found that when smoke flakes, I only fill it once and slightly tamp it down since the flakes swell much more than other tobaccos I have smoked. Also, I was over tamping (tamping too often) and have learned to only tamp when it starts to go out. Why mess with it if it is still smoking wonderfully?

I'd like the thank the members of this board for the help and pointers and pointing me toward getting a Savinelli for my first pipe. It truly is a wonderful smoker.

Here is a link to a picture and a youtube video of a pipe smoker with one.

Savinelli Trevi 616 picture
Savinelli Trevi 616 - Youtube

JD1969

That is a nice looking pipe, reminds of what my dad used to smoke. I am thinking my next briar will be a rusticated one.

yinyang

Some rim charring is to be expected.
No Ads Upgrade
That pipe is nice...I tend to overlook Sav's cuz I find them too...'svelte'? looking...yours, however, looks like a right hefty piece of hardware. Think I'm a bit jealous, actually...enjoy it, man!

I am very glad I bought this though. What an excellent smoker.

I'd like the thank the members of this board for the help and pointers and pointing me toward getting a Savinelli for my first pipe.
And Im sure it wont be your last :) A Savinelli pipe is just like anything else that is good,it makes you want another one. :bing:

Status
Not open for further replies.