1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

First NKT Pipe- Contest Poker

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by BradNTX, Jul 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

For any that didn't see the haiku puzzle contest Nate King posted, this pipe was the prize. I first saw Nate's work at the Chicagoland International Pipe Show, but have often browsed his website, and admired many of the pipes he's made. I think Nate has a talent for shapes, textures and finishes, and put a couple of his models on my PAD list. So, I was very excited to win his contest for a really neat looking poker.

I received the pipe last night, but didn't have time to smoke it, so took it to work with me today. As soon as I saw it, I thought it looked like a flake pipe. I should back up, and say that I was surprised at the size of the pipe when I opened the box. Nate has a talent for photography too, and this poker looked bigger in his pictures than actual size. :poke:

When I opened the box, my 4 year old exclaimed, "Dad, that pipe is my size! That pipe should be mine!" Sorry, son, not yet. The color and sand blast looked every bit as beautiful as the pictures. A wonderful, dark burnt-orange with a nice little wood band near the stem and a "fumed" black top.

Nate's pic:
    [​IMG]

Here's a pic of the pipe sitting on the seat of my car, next to a babyfood jar filled with SG Best Brown Flake:
    [​IMG]

One with my hand for scale:
    [​IMG]

Honestly, I wasn't too sure how a small pipe would perform. Would it burn for a decent amount of time? Would the smoke be hot? I wasn't too sure. I IM'd Nate and told him I was thinking of smoking a flake, but it was a freshly opened batch of BBF, and was pretty moist. He assured me the pre-carbon bowl would smoke fine and promised no gurgles. I thought that was a little bold...
    [​IMG]

I peeled off a 1" length of BBF and folded it into a 1/2" chunk and stuffed it into the bottom. I tore off another chunk and rolled it into a ball for easier lighting. It lit up easy enough, and I made sure to look at the clock: 7:31 PM.
    [​IMG]

The draw was very easy, and the bit is maybe the most comfortable I've ever clenched. At less than one ounce, it's probably the easiest pipe to clench I own. My drive is about an hour home, and I'm an active puffer. I don't toke like I'm burning a stoggie, but I don't let it sit much either. That said, I was very impressed by the 53 minute smoke time! The moist BBF smoked to the bottom of the bowl without a relight and NO GURGLES. I am very impressed.

On top of that, it did not smoke hot at all. I don't understand why, but even the bowl remained luke warm the entire smoke. This isn't usual for my smoking style, as most bowls get fairly warm.
    [​IMG]

My overall impressions are that this pipe is engineered well, has great proportions, is an extremely comfortable clencher, and holds a great amount of leaf for its size. I could see having several in my collection, since I smoke a lot during lunch breaks or on the way home, and the dimensions make my NKT poker the easiest pipe to carry around in my collection.

Thanks again Nate for sponsoring a great contest and for this awesome little pipe! :thu2:

2. Nate

Nate Member

I am so pleased you like it Brad! You are extremely kind in the review and I am happy it smokes so well for you! I was thrilled to offer up a pipe for the contest and for the fine members here. I hope to do more in the future!

BradNTX likes this.
  3. Vaquero

Vaquero Member

That thing looks awesome, I wasn't daring enough to enter the contest but it sounds like you deserved it, and are putting it to good use. The finish is amazing. Enjoy!

BradNTX likes this.
  4. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Great review and story Brad - your kid has good taste. You're in big trouble.

HazyDat620, Old Codger and BradNTX like this.
  5. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Not much for pokers myself..but...now that's a poker I could smoke!

Actually, I'm going back to IU to finish school in a couple of weeks. I could use a good "study" pipe for when I'm up late for school. Something I can set down while I go make a cup of tea or get a drink of water, without having to mess around with balancing it in a stand or something. Oh well, I have a Bjarne sitter, and while it gurgles a little it's nothing a quick swab with a cleaner can't fix when it gets bad.

Nice pipe! Enjoy it for many years to come :th1:

BradNTX likes this.
  6. BradNTX

You got that right. He's beat me up for his own pipe for a year now. I picked up a couple of the MM min-cobs from the Chicago pipe show, and gave them to the boys. They loved them, but the Irish Terrier loved them too. Neither survived. :oops:

Old Codger, dwaugh and Spillproof like this.
  7. Hudson

Hudson Member

You mean it's not the size of a beer can? I was sure it would hold its own with a 12 oz'r. It's probably a lot more practical being the size it is; weighing in at under an ounce is really surprising and a real bonus for the commuting clencher. You worked hard for it but you're still a lucky dog.

BradNTX likes this.
  8. BradNTX

:ohyh:

9. Darkly

Darkly Active Member

Awesome review! Can't ask for a better pipe then that! Hope it smokes for you for many many years!

BradNTX likes this.
  10. BradNTX

Thanks!

11. 1858remington

1858remington Active Member

I'm waiting for nate to make a pipe with a bowl that holds 50g of bacci.:bing:

Mington and Nate like this.
  12. Nate

Nate Member

Don't tease me....I'll do it!! :D

Smokingmiami, Mington and Spillproof like this.
  13. 1858remington

what about a steampunk pipe that had a chamber with a 2nd bowls worth of bacci.
    just a turn of a dial, or push of a plunger and reload the pipe.

14. 1858remington

Like a paddle wheel of inner bowls that can be rotated to bring a fresh one onto position.
    essentially a rotation of bowls in one pipe.

15. 1858remington

Put a big magnet on the bottom of that pipe and you could place it on the roof of your car while you drive to let it cool

16. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Geez, I think this is the first time I've seen your mug......

BradNTX, Mington and dwaugh like this.
  17. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

I was thinking the same thing.

Mington and jpberg like this.
  18. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I like to say I'm better off for it, but - um, Lee Van Cleef wasn't all that bad after all.

Old Codger and dwaugh like this.
  19. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Awesome Brad and great pics! Enjoy my friend!
    (A poker is on my PAD list for one day) ;)

BradNTX likes this.
  20. Nate

Nate Member

No, won't be doing that.

Old Codger likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.