1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

First Pipe (missouri meerschaum)

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by ChrisD, Jul 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisD

ChrisD Member

Hello,

I bought my very first pipe today from my local B&M, a missouri meerschaum with a bent stem. Im not sure what the actual model is, as it didnlt say on the box, but it is a standard looking medium size, finished, cob pipe with a bent stem. Im a little hesitant to light it up as i don't want to ruin it on my first go.

I got some "Carter Hall" tobacco. Not for any particular reason, as it was basically a shot in the dark purchase. The pipe, carter hall tobacco, and pipe cleaners was a total of like $10, so i figured it would be good for experimenting with my first pipe.

Have you guys tried "Carter Hall" before ? should i burn it through the cob, or maybe go with another brand ?

Also, what about the filter? do you guys leave them in, or take them out?

Lastly, does the pipe need to be cleaned after every smoke? or can you smoke a couple bowls out of it in a day and clean it out at the end of the day? and also, are pipe cleaners adequate, or do you need some kind of cleaning solution?

Thank you, and sorry for all the noob questions lol

2. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

I think Carter Hall is a good "starter" tobacco and the cob an excellent first pipe choice. I like Carter Hall (though certainly not my favorite) and it smokes well in most of my pipes. I have 5 briars, 2 meers and three MM cobs and my cobs get the most workout.

I generally smoke my cobs without a filter although I've been experimenting with a two inch, folded clean section of a used pipe cleaner stuffed in the stem (not shank). I fold it and insert in the stem with the point of the "V" pointing towards the bit. Spring tension keeps it from going into the shank and it's easy to remove by grabbing the part that sticks out. Anyway, the pipe cleaner soaks up a bit of moisture and tar and it's free. I replace the pipe cleaner "filter" after every smoke.

I clean the bowl with a paper towel wrapped around the end of a fat "Sharpie" marker after each smoke and run a pipe cleaner through. Periodically, I'll soak a pipe cleaner with "Everclear" and clean the stems and shank of all of my pipes. (Everclear will take the finish off pipes so don't get any on the outside surfaces.)

You may notice a bit of bitterness at first as the stem section in the bowl burns away. I've lined the bottom of all my meers with "pipe mud" (cigar ash mixed with a bit of water) and the rounded out bottom makes clean up easier. This should help eliminate burn through problems, as well.

WyoBob

3. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

Your first purchase is exactly what a lot of people here would have suggested so you're already on the right path. There are a lot of Carter Hall fans here and its one of those tobaccos that's an old favorite. I wouldn't worry about ruining the pipe, its very hard to do and cobs smoke cool and dry by nature. As for cleaning: the pipe cleaners will do the job fine, but the cob will require a different approach than a briar. Periodically clean the shank and stem with the pipe cleaners. When the filter gets too dirty to smoke, toss it and replace it with a new one or just smoke the pipe without it. You'll hear a lot about building cake in pipes, but you must not let a cake form in a cob as you would in a briar. Periodically scrape the sides of the bowl with a knife to remove the carbon build up (again this is for a cob not a briar). Finally, I wouldn't use Everclear or any other alcohol on a corn cob pipe.

If you run into problems check the Pipe Smoking Tips forum and if you're looking for tobaccos to try take a look at the Newbie Sampler thread over in the trading forum.

Welcome aboard!

4. chambers11283

chambers11283 Member

I agree with the rest, the cob and carter hall was perfect for you to start off with. When i first started smokeing a pipe my older brother already had been doing so for a while, so when i said i was interested he bought me a MM corn cob pipe, said he wanted me to get used to packing the pipes, lighting it, just get the overall feel of smokeing a pipe before i moved on to my much more expensive briars. And when my father came about and said he wanted to start smokeing a pipe i did the same for him. The cleaning with pipe cleaners will help keep your pipe fresh, without it it would taste ashy and could sour. And it is true what they say you do learn something new everyday, i didnt know you scrape the cake like Deckard said, good thing i never really smoke my cob anymore.

5. ChrisD

ChrisD Member

Thanks for the replies !

Im going to give the cob a go tonight with the carter hall, I can't wait to try it out :)

then I will rub out the bowl with a sharpie and paper towel, and give the shank and stem a good once over with a pipe cleaner. Thank for the tips everyone !

6. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Active Member

Welcome. If you get any gurgle in the pipe run a pipe cleaner through the stem all the way down. Take your time and smoke slowly. A cob can take a lot of abuse and it will become a trusty companion.

7. ChrisD

ChrisD Member

Well,the cob smoked very well, not so sure about the carter hall, might try something a little more aromatic, but I found it to be very satisfying, even more so than cigarettes, even without inhaling. Im officially stuck on pipes ! now time to look for a nice bulldog :whistle:

8. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

I have the same reaction to burley, it just doesn't have the flavor I'm after, but its a good tobacco to perfect your packing and smoking technique.

9. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

You done real good IMO. Couldn't have started off with all the right "tools", errruhh, I mean "toys" (I like toys)! Cobs are wonderful smokers and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. As for cleaning 'em, that's up to you but a clean pipe smokes best. I usually try to only smoke any bowl only once in a day with several days rest inbetween. May be over kill especially where cobs are concerned. I'd say you could probably smoke 2-3/day in a cob with not much ill effects, but I definitely wouldn't do more than 2 in a briar. I enjoy a clean and dry well rested pipe. They just allow me to get that much better of a smoke and enjoy the toby more. Don't store your cob in a confined space (don't do this with any pipe after smoking it) let it aire out.

Welcome Chris!

:whistle:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

10. Jay

Jay Active Member

Right on Chris, that is the perfect set up. I was actually at the un-local tobacconist today looking for Carter Hall and they didn't have any--wound up buying a house blend that is equally (if not more) enjoyable. I do have a few bowls of CH left. Your post makes me want to bust out the cob and smoke it. Have fun and enjoy!

J

11. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Do you really need filters for corn cob pipes?
    The reason I ask is that some sellers on Ebay sell them with filters.

12. Burner

Burner Member

Without the filter the draw is a little open for my liking. You can cut the filters in half and make them last longer or do the pipe cleaner trick as described by wyobob.

13. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

I went anOthrr route for the filter. Look up walker forever stems. I enjoy my cobs even more with a "real" stem.

14. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

So if I buy a Forever stem; no filters would be necessary? Thanks!

15. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

No, no filters would be necessary nor possible. The draft hole through the stem attenuates the draw down to "normal" resistance and mine w/4-ever stems smoke way better than an MM with or without filters (and original MM stem). Although I do smoke Prides without filters and with original stems (just to have the basic of basics.......don't really care for the flavoring the filters do to the smoke even when changed every smoke).

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.