1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

First Pipe Stem

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Whalehead King, May 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Active Member

Did you start with a bent or a straight pipe? Did that shape remain your favorite or did you change your mind?

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I've always bought bents. I don't think I've ever purchased a straight pipe. I've got a couple sitting around, but they were byproducts of trades.

3. noflex

noflex Member

My first pipe was a Stanwell bulldog #32. And I smoked straight for some year's then i got in to bent pipes and now it's what I'm in the mode for. But I'll say that striaght is easy'er to start with. But that's just my $0.02

4. Cobra

Cobra Member

I bought a straight initially almost forty years ago mostly because of a notion of how others might perceive a young guy smoking a bent pipe. That didn't last long thankfully, that was the only straight pipe I bought. Bents are the way to go. :goodjob:

5. BluesGuy

BluesGuy Member

I must do things bass ackwards....I started with bents and just lately am finding I like straights better.

6. stummel bum

stummel bum Member

First was a straight. Didn't take to it so I bought a bent soon after. Mainly I just didn't know what I was doing. I was smoking really wet and I ended up sucking up the juice like a straw with the straight.

Now that I know what I'm doing (sort of) I like to mix it up with a combination of straight and bent dependent on tobacco selection.

7. Marc

Marc Active Member

When I first started smoking pipes I bought bents and straights and did so for years especially when I started collecting Italian carved pipes then years ago I just started gravitating towards straight pipes and the billiard shape in particular and they are all I smoke now. There’s no tobacco I have smoked that does not smoke well in a straight billiard.

8. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

Combination of both.

9. CarlBC

CarlBC Member

The first pipe I ever bought was a 1/4 bent meerschaum claw at a Tinderbox. I still prefer bent stem pipes, but I do have a fair number of straight stem examples in my line-up.

10. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

11. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

i've maybe two non-cob pipes that aren't straight, and they're both about a quarter bend. just about everything i smoke is a straight billiard, though i do own a dublin, a poker, one pot, and one that i can't quite decide if its a short billiard or a tall pot. i've owned bent pipes i just never liked how they smoked or how they sat in my mouth and hand. maybe that will change some day. i doubt it.

12. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Member

Same here.I have 1 straight pipe,a Butz Choquin Belami Jr. Canadian,and I only keep it because of it's size.It makes a perfect 15minute smoke,but straight pipes just arent my thing.

13. Marc

Marc Active Member

Bent pipes make your face look droopy... :startle:

14. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

I started with a mixed bag and stayed that way: each has pros & cons.

A straight pipe that's a tad too heavy or has the wrong bit or button won't clench.
    A bent pipe with a hink in alignment won't clear a pipecleaner or wants to gurgle.

I favor easy-clench, not-too-heavy bents in the car and I'll lean to big, bad billiards when I am parked in a chair. But sometimes aesthetics makes the call for me. But then, sometimes, I like a featherweight billiard in the car and a monster bent out on the porch.

Do I have to choose right now?

15. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I started with quarter bents, bought a few straights, and now my last couple purchases were quarter bents again. Guess decisiveness isn't my forte. I'm already entertaining a full bent, if only to put the curiosity to bed.

16. Demented

Demented Member

Bent then, bent now! The one straight pipe I own (Ben Wade freehand Canadian) has an eighth bent stem.

17. Demented

Demented Member

It's not the pipe :)

18. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Sraights...I like the way they look.

Still, everyone's got their own style.

Bri2k

19. Demented

Demented Member

I love the way straight pipes look, but I am literally the size of a door, 6” 3” wearing a size 60” coat. Dainty little pipes look silly sticking out of my face, and I can’t imagine a large straight pipe being comfortable stuck between my molars all day.

20. Marc

Marc Active Member

I'm 6' 1", size 52-54 and "dainty pipes" look good when I clinch them! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.