First smoke after salt treatment- Whoa!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I have been smoking some of my pipes since 1994 and some of them had been used before I got them. I always cleaned the stems with 91% alcohol when I got a used pipe and after a few months of smoking them and I run a pipe cleaner through my pipe after every smoke. I had never cleaned the bowl in all this time.. I didn't really notice the sour taste as I guess I had gotten used to it. I decided to do the salt treatment on all my briar pipes a week ago.... I did one treatment on all and repeated it on two of them... I waited 5 days to let them dry out completely before smoking them again.. I had my meerschaum's during that time to hold me over... I just finished my first smoke through my second hand Sasieni .... what a smoke.... I tasted the tobacco for the first time in quite awhile.... the amazing thing was how sweet the pipe smelled after the treatment and before I smoked it.... it just had a really sweet smell instead of the sour putrid pond scum smell I had grown accustomed to.
I cant recommend the salt treatment enough! What a difference it made in my pipes. I truly enjoyed my smoke tonight as never before... this will become a regular thing for my pipes after every few months of smoking them. I am just amazed at the sweet taste and smoke I just had.

Mister Moo

Gone but not forgotten
Staff member
Some say that salt/booze can crack a pipe and "they" recommend cotton balls in place of salt. I've salted and boozed a lot of pipes and they all come out sweet and clean smelling after 24-hours. I think Everclear (or 91% isopropyl alcohol) has so little water in it there's too little water to swell up briar and initiate a crack. The FAQs advise coarse kosher salt; not sure what iodine in salt does to briar, if anything, but I always use kosher salt for pipes.

yes I used Kosher salt and I only added 7 to 10 drops of alcohol.... I didn't soak the bowl with alcohol.... just enough to dampen the salt and draw the old gunk out.... it is truly amazing!

doc_jude

does this work with cobs? or do you even have to do it? I've never done this, I just clean them & use a lil' sweetener.

Hitch

Yup. The cob absorbed the rum far too fast and fractured.

For cobs I dump a little in the bowl and leave it about 30 seconds, then swab .

doc_jude

Hitch said:
Yup. The cob absorbed the rum far too fast and fractured.

For cobs I dump a little in the bowl and leave it about 30 seconds, then swab .
You dump booze into the bowl, leave it for 30sec & then wipe it out? Cheap white rum work good? Because I ain't using my Sailor Jerry, damn you!!!! :p

Falconeer

Hi All,

I can wholeheartedly second the salt and alcohol treatment - the improvement is amazing.

A few years ago I decided to stop smoking and went to one of those "Quit Courses" and foolishly did what they suggested - I binned all my pipes ( some nearly 30 years old ) gave away my lighters pouches etc. I lasted out 6 months - the longest six of my life, before I gave up giving up permanently.

Shocked at the cost of replacing my pipes I bought a basket pipe, performed some surgery on it ( removed the varnish, opened out the bore ) to turn it into a good smoker and smoked the thing for the best part of a couple of years every day. In the interim I set about replacing my other pipes - ouch!

Last year I read about the salt and alcohol treatment and gave it a try - I left mine for 5 days, and boy what an improvement; it really was like having a new pipe. I can heartily recommend it.

On the corncob front, everything I have evr read suggests this will not work and may leave the pipe's exterior filthy and black - the cob's absorption factor is too high, I think

Gerry

Hitch

doc_jude said:
You dump booze into the bowl, leave it for 30sec & then wipe it out? Cheap white rum work good? Because I ain't using my Sailor Jerry, damn you!!!! :p
It only takes a little if its high test. If you get a pint you'll get a new computer before its gone,,,,,Provided you do not put it to other uses,,,oh and on your briars be sure to KEEP ANY ALCOHOL OFF THE FINISH.

Brian

speaking of cobs ... I have two sitting on a shelf at home in the middle of my first salt treatment. Yikes! I will have to see how they survived later tonight when I get home from work.

I really thought they were starting to taste sour. These were my starter pipes from May of last year. I have a couple cheap briars now, but they are not old enough to get sour I think.

woody

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Falconeer said:
Hi All,

I can wholeheartedly second the salt and alcohol treatment - the improvement is amazing.

A few years ago I decided to stop smoking and went to one of those "Quit Courses" and foolishly did what they suggested - I binned all my pipes ( some nearly 30 years old ) gave away my lighters pouches etc. I lasted out 6 months - the longest six of my life, before I gave up giving up permanently.

Shocked at the cost of replacing my pipes I bought a basket pipe, performed some surgery on it ( removed the varnish, opened out the bore ) to turn it into a good smoker and smoked the thing for the best part of a couple of years every day. In the interim I set about replacing my other pipes - ouch!

Last year I read about the salt and alcohol treatment and gave it a try - I left mine for 5 days, and boy what an improvement; it really was like having a new pipe. I can heartily recommend it.

On the corncob front, everything I have evr read suggests this will not work and may leave the pipe's exterior filthy and black - the cob's absorption factor is too high, I think

Gerry

I did similar to what you did once getting rid of everything. By a lucky accident I forgot to toss 2 dr grabows out and still have them now.

I don't know but I don't think I would try this on a cob unless I really didn't care about ruining it. I agree about the absorption factor.

Brian

The salt treatment worked good on my two corn cobs. They taste much better. I can definitely see this tearing them up though.

The overall thought I had was, this is way too much effort for a $4 pipe. I am always happy to experiment, and glad I did my first two salt treatments on cheap pipes so that mistakes don't ruin an expensive pipe.

It just isn't worth it. I'll buy a new cob the next time these sour up.

Hitch

Scottish Piper said:
The salt treatment worked good on my two corn cobs. They taste much better. I can definitely see this tearing them up though.

The overall thought I had was, this is way too much effort for a $4 pipe. I am always happy to experiment, and glad I did my first two salt treatments on cheap pipes so that mistakes don't ruin an expensive pipe.

It just isn't worth it. I'll buy a new cob the next time these sour up.
Try this first;

Dump in a little spirit, wait about 30 seconds and swab clean with q tips. Leave to dry over night. Swab out the stem too.

Your current cobs might be too far gone but try it on the next batch.

Status
Not open for further replies.