first smoke in restored Kaywoodie

Status
Not open for further replies.

limpinghawk

Received my old Kaywoodie yesterday and it sure did look better in the pictures on line, then it did in my hand. :rolleyes:

It was so filthy inside that I couldn't get a pipe cleaner through either the stem or even the bowl!
I had to soak the pieces for a long time before I could get a pipe cleaner to go through.

The mouthpiece was closed so tight I had to heat it up and expand the opening to get a cleaner through it.
And of course the stem was crooked, so I had to straighten that out too.

I actually stripped the finish right down to the bare briar it was that bad, I just soaked the whole thing bowl and all.
Then I refinished the bowl and the stem by simply hand rubbing both with Red Palm Kernel Oil that I use for cooking, then buffing them out with a soft cotton cloth.
Plus the more I handle it, the better it is going to look.
But as of now, I think the pipe stem, and bowl look great, but better yet is the way it smokes.

After a lot of work I was able to smoke my first bowl this morning.
I must say that Kaywoodies are one great pipe.

It is smoking cool, burning even, not even a hint of a bite,
the draw is super easy.
I am able to take a couple of puffs, put the pipe down to type a little, (or whatever), pick the pipe up and it is still smoking.
What a great system the stinger is, I wouldn't remove it if you paid me.
No wonder Kaywoodies have been around for such a long time,
This is one great pipe.

(Kaywoodie Super grain bent billiard)

limpinghawk

dubhdarra said:
pics or it didn't happen.
What do you mean it didn't happen?
What the hell do I have to lie about?

First of al I don't have a camera.
Don't believe me,I don't care either way, no skin off my nose!

What kind of a day and age are we living in when a mans word can't be taken without the use of Pictures?
I don't get it?

I'm too damn old to start lying about something as stupid as an old pipe!
Get a life son.

Mister Moo

Gone but not forgotten
Staff member
limpinghawk said:
What do you mean it didn't happen..
As one crusty fart to another the fellow was saying, in forum-shorthand, "Gee limpinghawk! Please share the fruits of your labor for all of us to appreciate in a more visual way! A restored super grain Kaywoodie is a work of art that we'd all enjoy seeing."

Anyone might have said, "No pic - it never happened" hoping to share the pleasure of your restoration. Take a deep breath, brother.

limpinghawk

Mister Moo said:
As one crusty fart to another the fellow was saying, in forum-shorthand, "Gee limpinghawk! Please share the fruits of your labor for all of us to appreciate in a more visual way! A restored super grain Kaywoodie is a work of art that we'd all enjoy seeing."

Anyone might have said, "No pic - it never happened" hoping to share the pleasure of your restoration. Take a deep breath, brother.
Okay, I get it I'm wrong, and I apologize.

It's just that being an Ex Army Ranger, and a Viet Nam war veteran,
when I feel someone has drawn first blood, I attack to the kill.

I apologize.

OldAtHeart

Congrats on a successful refurb and thanks for sharing the story! I've been wanting to get into refurbing pipes. This is the kind of post that will help me when I finally do start that. If you do happen to get pics somehow, it would be quite interesting to see before/after shots.

Mister Moo

Gone but not forgotten
Staff member
limpinghawk said:
...first blood...
No blood. Just pipes and tobak amongst cordial friends here. So... point being, we all like before/after pix when possible. If not possible, enjoy the restored KW.

dubhdarra

wow... erm.. sorry about that. thought people knew that was forum shorthand for "show me please".

sorry you dont have a working camera too, i know how bad that sucks.

OldAtHeart said:
Congrats on a successful refurb and thanks for sharing the story! I've been wanting to get into refurbing pipes. This is the kind of post that will help me when I finally do start that. If you do happen to get pics somehow, it would be quite interesting to see before/after shots.
I'm lucky to be able to use a computer.
I don't have any high tech stuff, I still use rabbit ears for my T.V.

I have an old Savinelli coming in, in fact I'm hoping it will be here today,
I will be restoring it, but since I won't have pictures, it may be best to just keep it to myself, as the only way I have to show my work is through words in which one can visualize.
Sorry guys.

dubhdarra said:
wow... erm.. sorry about that. thought people knew that was forum shorthand for "show me please".

sorry you dont have a working camera too, i know how bad that sucks.
No, I don't know about this stuff, in fact this is my first forum experience.
I just took it the wrong way, and thought that you were calling me a liar.

I do apologize to you I see from the posts, that I am in the wrong here,
but I truly didn't know what you meant, like I said I took it as though you were calling me a liar is all.

I apologize to you, are we forum Friends now?

Mister Moo said:
No blood. Just pipes and tobak amongst cordial friends here. So... point being, we all like before/after pix when possible. If not possible, enjoy the restored KW.
Again, I guess old war habits are hard to die.
I see that I am in the wrong here.

I didn't mean for all this to happen, really I didn't.

I just want to enjoy the remainder of my years in peace, and smoke the rewards of my labor.

user0003

limpinghawk said:
Again, I guess old war habits are hard to die.
I see that I am in the wrong here.

I didn't mean for all this to happen, really I didn't.

I just want to enjoy the remainder of my years in peace, and smoke the rewards of my labor.
And we would be proud to have spend as much of your time with us as you can.

RS422

Hey linpinghawk,

I am an old fart too and I like to hear about restorations even if there are no pictures.
What is the red palm kernel oil that you speak of. i have never heard of it.
I use olive oil on my vulcanite stems but don't have any buffers or anything like that.
I always like to hear other peoples restoration processes as this might help me. So please tell us of your savinelli restoration. I for one am interested in the process as i don't have a lot of money for expensive equipment.:puff:

dubhdarra

limpinghawk said:
No, I don't know about this stuff, in fact this is my first forum experience.
I just took it the wrong way, and thought that you were calling me a liar.

I do apologize to you I see from the posts, that I am in the wrong here,
but I truly didn't know what you meant, like I said I took it as though you were calling me a liar is all.

I apologize to you, are we forum Friends now?

yeah, we are. i've blown up over WAY less obnoxious stuff, so i couldnt hold that against ya if i was inclined to. if you're ever in the NYC area we'll get together for a bowl.

Mister Moo

Gone but not forgotten
Staff member
limpinghawk said:
... the only way I have to show my work is through words in which one can visualize...
Words will do in a pinch. There are still a few of us here who can read when they have to. I'm talking about the older, smarter guys, mostly. People like, uh... me.

(If you're new to forums let me spell it out a bit, speaking only for myself. Personally, I think it's great you've come to a place where you can share the pleasure of our hobby in any way you please. Forums vary in temper, technology and tempo; each tends to have it's own character and special focus. This forum operates very much on the open, honest and civil side. We are, at the moment, a generally low tech, pipe focused and exceptionally cordial bunch. Times and membership change but I hope this forum persists in the present format. Some forums seem to operate with a combative nature; this one does not. Usually, if something doesn't rub right, a private message is the way to clarify what's going on.)

Status
Not open for further replies.