First Smoke Order!

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Tyler Lad, Sep 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyler Lad

Tyler Lad Member

I'm finally going to order from pipesandcigars.com :]

This will be my first adventure into an actual variety of blends and pipes.
    What do you think about my (planned) order before I place it tomorrow or soonafter?

First my background:
    I smoke a cheap churchwarden and have have been through a 100g of Frog Morton over the past 2 months. I absolutely love the blend. I have never smoked before this tin of FM and so I'm probably still very sensitive to vitimin N.

4 Cobs:
    2x mini corn cobs $2.39 each
    Ozark corn cob Hardwood Bent $4.87
    Patriot Straight $8.89

6 Pouches:
    Sir Walter
    Prince Albert
    Captain Black Gold
    H. Sutliff's Mixture 75
    Middleton's Cherry
    Red Cap Regular (0.75 oz)

+some replacement stems and pipe cleaners

subtotal - 45.82
    Shipping - 13.85
    Total- 59.67

Reading about mixture 75, I'm a little scared of it. What do you think of that blend?
    Also, would you recommend Middleton's Cherry or the Paladin Black Cherry blend?
    If you can think of anything better that comes in a 1.5oz or 0.75oz pouch let me know!

-Tyler

user3221 likes this.

2. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

Avoid Paladin like the plague!!! I have previously compared it to a urinal cake and, in retrospect, I think I did urinal cakes an injustice.

Old Ted and Tyler Lad like this.
  3. Calvinandpipe

Calvinandpipe Member

Stick with Middleton's Cherry, though I haven't tried it, I have tried Paladin. Let's just say that even my buddy that only smokes aromatics uses Paladin as incense for his sock drawer rather than smoke it.:)

Tyler Lad likes this.
  4. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

Personally I do not care for the Patriot cob. For me it burns very hot. In order to get that appealing shape the walls are too thin, in my opinion. You might prefer a diplomat if they are still available. About the same size bowl. Nothing wrong with the mini but later you are going to want larger bowls. Can't go wrong with the price though.

Old Ted and Scottly like this.
  5. Monkeyshine

Monkeyshine Member

I'd remove those mini cobs altogether and add a pouch of Carter Hall. I have one of those mini's and it seems more of a novelty item than a legit smoking pipe. I cannot speak for most of your tobacco choices as I've never had them besides Prince Albert.

6. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

Instead of the two mini cobs I would be inclined to get one Legend for about the same price or a Gentleman for a little bit more. Honestly I think those mini cobs will be just too small to enjoy. The Legend is a little bigger and the Gentleman is a nice sized pipe, which would only add about three-bucks to your total if bought in place of the two mini cobs.

7. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

+3 on the mini cobs.
    And +1 on the Carter Hall!

JescoWhite and Monkey like this.
  8. Dan Manchester

Dan Manchester Member

+4 on the Mini's. Get the legend or Gentlemen if you can. +2 on CH. And forget the Red Cap. Try some Apple Pipe Tobacco by Middleton. I think you'll like it.

Monkey likes this.
  9. MikeInMaine

MikeInMaine Passes for human

+5 on avoiding the minis. I got one a while ago and it wasn't worth the $2.00.

10. buistd

buistd Active Member

I have never tried Red Cap, but from what I have read it is a cigarette RYO tobacco. As for the Mixture 79, most people here seem to dislike it but the only thing for you to do is try it. I was put off by reviews of Half and Half but found it be a pretty pleasant smoke - definitely something I would buy again. I also suggest you try a Gawith Hoggarth flake or two as a good introduction to both flakes and British tobaccos. Best Brown #2 is a real good 'un to get you started.

Tyler Lad likes this.
  11. physiognomy

physiognomy Member

I echo the other members & think you are better off replacing the mini cobs with something else. Check the measurements for yourself, but they really are too small imho. I can't add much regarding your tobacco choices, but why aren't you getting more Frog Morton? I'd hate to have a hankering for an English blend & be stuck because I ran out. Just my 2c...

12. Tyler Lad

Tyler Lad Member

Sadly, most of the bigger corn cobs aren't being sold. I assume due to the draught. I think the patriot or washington were my only choices...

Good point!
    I think I'll cough up the extra $8 and get some Frog Morton on the Town or something different.

For all you guys and the mini cob warnings-
    I know I will be very affected by strong tobaccos. FM is quite mild but I found myself dealing with the symptoms of it for a few days before my body stopped acting crazy. :]
    That in mind, I thought a smaller bowl would help me to smoke just the right amount (about 10 min.) when I'm trying something out. Figured I'd try mix. 75 in it, for instance. Do you guys still strongly dissaprove of a mini?

As for Carter Hall, I figured Prince Albert and Sir Walter would cover me for the burley blends.
    Is Carter Hall much different than those two?

I think I'll do that. :}

13. buistd

buistd Active Member

I should also say that if you are interested in exploring the Latakia blends a little more, I am currently tearing my way through a pack of Gawith Hoggarth Balkan Mixture. Certainly not the same as Frog Morton but well worth a try.

14. buistd

buistd Active Member

I have tried CH and PA and of the two I find CH more enjoyable, but at this stage, it may be best to stick with one or two. I found when I was first starting out that I was switching from blend to blend so quickly that I was unable to become well enough acquainted with any one blend, and ended up disregarding certain blends as I thought I didn't like them, when in fact I just hadn't got the hang of them (also caused by bad smoking technique a lot of the time).

15. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

I went to the web site before I made my suggestions. They had the Legend and the Gentleman listed. If you want smaller the Legend would be the option. And, yes, I would still steer you away from a mini. Although I prefer to smoke a whole bowl when I start it, you can try slipping a pipe cleaner down the bit, tamping the ash down and finishing the rest later.

16. Bump

Bump Member

Personally I'm not sure I know if I like a tobacco or not after ten minutes. I’ve had some that after light up I thought "This is great!" but by the end of the bowl, not so much. And the opposite, especially with Irish Oak. 1/3 third through that bowl and it's okay for me, but 1/2 way and to the end, it's a much more enjoyable smoke, which lasts about 30-40 minutes.

Tyler Lad likes this.
  17. Tyler Lad

Tyler Lad Member

Yessir! But they're sold out :/
    Edit: But not the legend. That may be a good idea. thx!

I could go for the McArthur. haha, but that may be a bit too much.

18. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

I tend to agree - regarding the Patriot, the only pipe burn-out I ever had in over fifty years was a Patriot (bowl side!). No doubt others will attest to trouble free smoking with one - but once bitten!..... , pity really, as I like the look of them!.
    OT

Tyler Lad likes this.
  19. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

You dig good ! The only miss was the Red Cap .. Its more a RYO ... But I've tried it in the pipe and it was ok . It does make the best damn cigarette ! I was smoking it during a job in the Ozarks and everybody was wanting me to roll them one .. so I did . The whole crew ended up buying their own pouch by the next day ... I was a rolling fool :) It was fun cause I was an out of towner and it brought me in with those guys ... they were good guys .

Monkeyshine likes this.
  20. Tyler Lad

Tyler Lad Member

you know, I've been chewing on your statement off an on for a coupla' hours. hmm.. I think I should scratch the mini's (I agree with the old farts on that one ;D ) and forget about sampling everything I can in favor of some more Frog Morton and one other brand- CH maybe?

Glad I posted this, get some new ideas.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.