1. Unique, Original Reviews Only

Please do not post reviews from other websites. Reviews found posted on other sites will be deleted.
    Dismiss Notice

First tin of Frog Morton Cellar

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco Reviews' started by MakDragon, Jul 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

Forgive this undertrained palate but I just had my first bowl of FMC. My local B&M had it in stock and I bought the tin after reading other reviews on this blend and needed to try it.

Well, here goes......

The tin aroma was very, very nice. I immediately caught the scent of the whiskey stave and was intrigued. At the recommendation of a forum member here, I let the tobacco dry a bit before I put it in my new DGE Poker. The charring light sent me a really nice taste right off the bat. I noticed the Latakia immediately but it was very light in comparison to other lat blends I enjoy such as Fr Dempsey blend from Kramer's Tobacco.
    The whiskey was also nicely present but less so than the scotch I enjoy in C&D's Strathspey.
    I smoked the pipe on my patio, so it was difficult for my wife to comment on the room note. However, when I went in the house to get her a cup of coffee, I took my lighted pipe and puffed a few times to fill the kitchen with some aromas.
    When my wife came in later on, she would tell me that she enjoyed the room note. Her exact words were, "That's nice"!

No tongue bite what so ever. I had to relight a number of times but I believe that was my fault in technique rather than the tobacco.

My B&M had 2 tins, of which I bought one. Tomorrow, I shall go get the other one.

olddog, Rodfather, Harrison and 13 others like this.

2. Marker

Marker Active Member

Great review. FMC does seem like it would be too much whiskey when you smell it from the tin. When you light it up, everything comes together nicely. It is a little moist from the tin but drying to taste works well.

zacROK, GANDALF WHITE and MakDragon like this.
  3. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

My thoughts exactly!

zacROK and GANDALF WHITE like this.
  4. Explorer352

Explorer352 Active Member

Thanks for posting this. FMC is one i've been wanting try for a while now.

zacROK likes this.
  5. Hunlock

Hunlock Member

This sounds very interesting. I see a lot if people have this on back order... Is this a seasonal thing, of just that popular?

zacROK likes this.
  6. Jamison

Jamison Member

...it's really just that popular. FMC, stonehaven, northwoods, and Mississippi river are all really talked up by some big pipe youtubers, the Dagners. Basically, if you're watching a new video of theirs and they recommend a tobacco you've got about an hour to buy some before it's back ordered.

7. Shatteredzen

Shatteredzen Member

I just had my first bowl of this yesterday as a nightcap with a mug of gunfire (rum and black tea) aside from being wet out of the tin (didn't let it dry) it blew my socks off. I took it in my churchwarden and despite smoking it much faster than I usually would it never gave me even a hint of tongue bite. Loved it and will order some bulk of this next payday.

8. Lucky Duck

Lucky Duck Member

Great job on the review!

9. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Imo , it's the best of the frog blends . Well , it's the only frog blend I like ..... it's really damn good , this one ! Oddly enough , it's the only pipe tobacco blend that contains whiskey that is even good . Every blend I've had with whiskey is just " meh " , till now . In a few months the hype and newness will wear off and it will be available like most any other blend

zacROK, MakDragon and Smarty Jones like this.
  10. Smarty Jones

Smarty Jones Active Member

My favorite Frog. I buy it 5 tins at a time so I don't run out ;)

11. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

Gooooooooood stuff!!!

12. GANDALF WHITE

GANDALF WHITE Member

nice review thxs. FMC the best of the froggie line njoy

zacROK and thedismaltrade like this.
  13. SimonR

SimonR Member

No matter what else I'm smoking I always have a tin of FMC open (currently with 10 more standing by … you never know how hard it may be to get all the way to Australia). It always hits the spot. Consistent, easy to smoke. Total win. It's too sweet to me for all day or regular smoke, but on the verandah in the evening at the weekend. Just perfect.

zacROK likes this.
  14. MikeyJ

MikeyJ Member

Definitely my favortie of the FM line. In my opinion, it is a pleasant, all day smoke. I try to keep plenty of it on hand in my cellar too! Good review! Thanks.

zacROK and SimonR like this.
  15. Lukasaurus

Lukasaurus Member

This is probably one of my all time favourite blends :) It ticks all the boxes for a perfect smoke for me. A little on the milder side for long sessions, a touch of Latakia, a touch of sweetness, a nice balance and a lovely room note. I've actually dedicated my favourite pipe to this one blend :)

Also Jamieson, I second everything you say about the Dagners. They'be seemingly become pipe royalty as of late :P

zacROK likes this.
  16. zacROK

zacROK Member

I love me some FMC. It seems to always be on hand for me. It is annoying for me to get tobacco living outside of the US, but FMC is always ordered at least once a month. All around good stuff.

17. Harrison

Harrison Member

I just discovered this blend! I am enjoying it thoroughly. Very smooth pleasant flavorful smoke.

MakDragon and SimonR like this.
  18. SteveH

SteveH Active Member

I'm smoking my first-ever tin of it at the moment. I wondered what they meant about "barrel stave cubes" in the label, until I got past the half-way mark, and found a lump of wood in the bottom of the tin. I don't know whether that makes a real difference or is just a gimmick, but it's a gorgeous baccy, which I'll be buying again.

MakDragon and Harrison like this.
  19. SimonR

SimonR Member

I don't know either, but I've got a growing pile of them in the jar I use when the tins get opened, and I kinda like it. It gives me a bit of a tally ... And looks cool.

MakDragon likes this.
  20. enigmaticbriar

enigmaticbriar Member

yup best FM blend hands down, But its a little sweet for me some times. i always get a hell of a vanilla taste when i smoke it. at first i didnt care for it but i have to smoke a tin before i can decide yay or nah. well im totally hooked on it now. and that chunk of barrel smoke quite nice in my nording churchwarden.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.