First try with Penzance... Question.

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by SchumiJr, Dec 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SchumiJr

SchumiJr Member

I wasn't able to locate a tin or tins but managed to get about 6oz. bulk @ a Just for Him store locally. The tobacconist let me try a bowl before I bought itt and as such I just loaded some of the loose broken up flakes. Once I got my bag home after a long car trip and hauling the Christmas goods around all I have no is a bag full of crumbles with about 3 whole flakes.

My question is this....

Is there any real difference between loading and smoking a bowl full of rubbed out flakes and a nice folded flake?

Carter

2. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Yes, but Penzance isn't a typical flake.

So...in this case, no.

kreinhard and Jesla like this.
  3. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

Is your real name Bill Clinton? The reason I ask is that you have a way of answering without really answering. :confused:

Gary likes this.
  4. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

SchumiJr, do not worry about it with Penzance, just smoke and enjoy!

5. Capt

Capt Active Member

In my experience with it, I have always rubbed it out (basically just picking it up crumbles it) and loaded it up.

6. yinyang

I said yes to the posed final question(a generality on perceived differences in smoking based upon various flake preparations), and followed it with a no on Penzance, the brand(a specific style of flake that resists 'typical' definition and possible modes of preparation).

Glad I could clear that up.

7. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Yinyang is right, though his explanation could stand to be expounded upon. Penzance is cut the same way as Kingfisher, both of which are Butera products manufactured by J.F. Germain & Sons. Kingfisher is, according to the packaging, a "double cut crumble cake". It's a neat presentation, but it's hard to even retrieve one "flake" intact from a tin. You won't have any luck folding and stuffing either one, so just load it up and enjoy.

Herb

Mark w4mms likes this.
  8. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

You have a great B&M, not only did he actually have Penzance in stock, but he let you have a sample!?!?

BigJ and Mark w4mms like this.
  9. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

I smoke the Penzance out of the tin by standing up the cake slices in the bowl. I smoke Penzance out of the jars crumbled up in the bowl. It's much easier to keep the cake slices in tact while I remove it from the tin. I jam my jars tight with this tobacco so I end up with the crumbled version. It's crazy good either way.

Ol Brokedik.

Kiowapipe likes this.
  10. SchumiJr

SchumiJr Member

Hey all. Thanks for all the replies.
    Next question though, is there any real difference between the bulk and tin versions?

@ Smokey Joe The tobacconist said he had just managed to get some in. While was nice enough to offer the sample, the whole demeanor of all the employs was really kinda disinterest. While I may go back to the store because of their selection, I promise I won't return for hospitality. I guess I have just experienced really great tobacco stores starting out and they have just set the benchmark very high for everyone else.

11. user1975

user1975 Active Member

+1! Penzance is some great toby... just load and enjoy!

12. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

smoking some right now... yum!

13. furious

furious Junque collector

I usually fully rub all flakes out, including Penzance, for easier packing with my two-step "Shadow" method. You must have been reading my mind cause I just has a bowl of Penzance, and man was it good!!

14. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

I loaded a bowl earlier today and it must have been still a bit moist. I was clearly overlighting it to get it to go. Now that it sat in the bowl and dried a bit more, it burns beautifully. Smooth and cool with great flavor. Glad I have 8oz in the way!

15. Nate

Nate Member

My answer to both questions :D

16. SchumiJr

SchumiJr Member

Well.... Just getting around to bowl number 2 in my "new" Savinelli Grand Prix.

I'm loving it.

Carter

HCraven and Nate like this.
  17. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Glad you like it, Carter! Cheers!

18. yinyang

I'm scared to be the one who answers this directly...scared now that Rewster will henpeck me on it.:)

My limited experience with bulk Penzance tells me it's drier and and less 'nose heavy'. Problem here is I've gotten it in sample form from other sources, not as a whole(fresh?) package. I'd hazard if the moisture level on tin and bulk samples are even, I wouldn't be able to spot the difference.

19. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

The tinned version comes in nice looking slices....which disintegrate when you touch them....becoming the bulk version. The bulk I bought a while back (two 1 lb. pkgs.) came in large trays, in foil packs. Getting the tobacco out in anything resembling a whole flake was next to impossible, so I just grabbed hand-fulls and jammed it into my jars. Penz is a true "crumble" cake. Mine was fresh Kyle, and just a bit dryer than the stuff I had in tins...aroma was just as strong though. Not sure why, but I preferred the bulk offering over the tinned. Seemed to have a richer flavor....prolly my imagination.............

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.