Flake issues

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by DocB, Nov 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DocB

DocB Active Member

Of all the times I have ever smoked flake tobacco, I have always used the "fold n stuff" method. The past few times during smoking and afterward, I have noticed that I get a slight tongue nip, only from the flakes. I tried packing my bowl a bit more loosely last night smoking MacB Vanilla Cream, but got the same results. How do YOU smoke your flake, and have you ever experienced the issue I am having with any other cuts?

2. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

MacBaren's blends have a tongue bite stigma...can you be reasonably sure it isn't a body chemistry deal?

3. DocB

DocB Active Member

No, I can't be sure. But I did experience a bit while smoking FVF, BCF, and OGS. I believe the issues with those was that I was learning how to load and smoke flake, and I packed too tight and puffed too hard to get it lit and keep it that way.

4. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Too many relights during the last half of the bowl can do it.

5. DocB

DocB Active Member

Yeah, I did that too...:doh:

6. furious

furious Junque collector

I find that I have much less trouble with tongue bite and flakes when I rub them out instead of folding and stuffing. FVF and many others do taste better though with fold and stuff, however.

7. WayneTeipen

WayneTeipen Member

I prefer to rub flakes out fully. MacBaren tobaccos give me tongue bite while not many others do.

8. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

McB explains the tongue bite to me. That molasses/honey casing they use on everything just bites the tar out of me. Could be over puffing too though. Fold and stuff can be hard to keep going for some.

9. user1975

user1975 Active Member

I fold and stuff most of the time with flakes, but I do let them dry a while before smoking, and haven't had a problem with bite.

10. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

I find that flakes take a good bit more time to dry than other tobaccos, if a ribbon is ready in 30 minutes, a flake may take 2 or 3 hours. I usually fold and stuff myself, but if it's still a little too damp I get a little bite sometimes too. Slightly compressing the tobacco from the end while I'm folding seems to open the flake up a little more so air can circulate a little better and keep things cooler as well (think closer to an air pocket or cannonball fill).

11. qwik

qwik Member

Is there a best pipe shape with fold and stuff? never mind just found thread on it. Thanks

12. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Narrow stacked billiard. Like the one SI put in the pot, that's a nice flake pipe

qwik likes this.
  13. TRAVIS

TRAVIS Member

I have usualy been a folder and stuffer but rubbed some out last night and the only difference i noticed was it stayed alight better. I haven't had toungue bite for ages i nearly always smoke with a whiskey n dry though i think that helps.

14. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I fold & stuff flakes most of the time, but for variety try other things too. I've found that folded flakes take a different tamping method to avoid frequent relights. Where rubbed out tobacco requires a delicate hand when tamping, F&S flake needs a little firmer push to keep the flame even because of the stiffness of the flake. It takes a little practice, but once you get it down, relights are about like with any other method.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.