Flake Storage?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Bahnzo, Mar 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bahnzo

Bahnzo Member

Any ideas on storing flakes (like OGS)? I notice they are drying out in the tin, and don't fit very in a Bell jar. I'd like something that keeps them intact, so stuffing them in a jar doesn't work, but I've yet to see a square jar or tin that has an airtight seal.

2. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

It doesn't?!?!?!

Works for me....

3. Kyle Black

Kyle Black Member

Get the wide mouth jars. For small flakes like IF, GAF, and OGS, just put them in. For Stoney, FVF and the sort, coil them up and insert, works everytime.

4. pottsy

pottsy Member

Just buy bigger jars.

5. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

I have quart jars of flakes. The trick is to have the flakes vertical, i.e, parallel to the side of the jar. A pound fills a quart completely.

6. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Flakes aren't going to stay intact
    when you load them in your pipe.
    So, keeping them straight and
    tidy in the jar shouldn't be a
    concern. IMHO

dp

7. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

I stack Stonehaven in a 12oz tall-boy ball canning jar and one holds a bag (8oz).

I'm working on a "road box" with 4oz jars and put an entire tin of OGS, GAF, ABF, DNR each in it's own little jar. I just cut the flakes in half with a razor blade (on a block of nice spruce) and layered the half flakes in the little jars. Don't feel that since you've got a square peg, you can't put it in a round hole! Just turn the lights out.......errruh, different thread, just cut the flakes in half or curl/roll them GENTLY to fit. I've often needed more than one flake but less than two and figure these half flakes allow me to grab 3 halves and go! or even 5 halves and :) !

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

8. Bahnzo

Bahnzo Member

I don't see why not. Maybe to you it's not a concern, but I like my flakes intact. One flake is the perfect size for a smoke, so I know when I take a flake out it's the exact amount. Plus I like to cut mine into cubes, so having them broken up would foil that.

I guess I was hoping there was some sort of square, flat jar out there (like the tins). But a google search turns up nothing. Might have to resort to the inelegant solution of putting the tin in a plastic zip lock.

9. slr

slr Member

I cut my flakes in half and stuff them in a quart size mason jar. Works great for me.

10. Puff The Magic

Ball makes a flat wide-mouth jar sold in packs of four.....that'd work for the smaller OGS/GAF sized flakage.

Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff

11. Jay

Jay Active Member

for the 50g tins of OGS, I put a rubber band around it to keep the lid on tighter. It seems to keep fresh enough at the rate I smoke. The 100g tins, are round and have the good screw down lid which seems to work fine at the rate I smoke as well.

J

12. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

I don't bust mine when I jar them except for some of the Penzance. Get bigger jars - no worries.

13. ArtisanArcher

ArtisanArcher Member

Just curious, but does anybody use vacuum seal bags? That would seem like an idea way to preserve the flakeness of the flake. Never done it myself, but before I read everybody's comments that was the way that I would plan to do it in my vast ocean of ignorance.

Happy Smoking
    Arty

14. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

I buy flat, square,wide-mouth ball jars from the local Wal-Mart. They come four to a package and work a treat for all my flakes. They also stack nicely in the pipe cabinet.

15. Bahnzo

Bahnzo Member

Interesting, I've never seen these at my Wal-Mart. Do you remember, where they right there by the other canning stuff?

16. Puff The Magic

With the canning jars and I believe they're called "Elite" by Ball. ACE has them too.

Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff

17. JuJu McMojo

JuJu McMojo Member

My grocery store stocks the Ball Elite -- the 8oz size is particularly handy. There's usually an isle dedicated to canning supplies.

18. ZuluSafari

ZuluSafari Member

sigh.

I need to move out of the backwoods or something! My local stores only carry the standard canning jars - none of the fancy short/flat ones I have seen here recently! I do have the opportunity to travel alot though, so I am keeping my eyes open!

I saw some really cool antique jars at a second hand store, but the rubber washers were completely shot. I think I will keep an eye out for replacements, and probably pick some of the old bail-top jars when I see them!

I use the rubber band method to help reseal my square(ish) tins, too.

19. pottsy

pottsy Member

Check online, Amazon probably has them.

20. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

On long flakes like Stonehaven I lay them on a cutting board and cut them in half then slide 'em into regular old pint sized jars. If you are careful you can get alot of them in a jar.

Most flakes will go into jars neatly. Some are going to fall apart no matter what you do. I have some G&H flakes, esoterica flakes and a few others that come apart and that is OK with me. OGS has never had that issue for me. I'll put 2-3 tins of OGS in one jar and it works out great. The flakes hold together fine. I do the same with Erinmore and a few other flakes that come in square 50g tins.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.