Flake takes

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Mister Moo, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

I edited the bad links out of the O/P. If anyone finds bad links in this thread, please pm me.

2. Moose

Moose Active Member

Thanks Mister Moo for the updated links. All worked well with me. I just red OT's Condor post and was interested in this style of tobacco as I have never taken it on, yet. Will pick some up soon to try.

Dave

3. Mister Moo

Be sure to smoke it in a pipe you don't plan to use again. :laff:

Lewis, jpberg, SouthBound and 2 others like this.
  4. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

I liked this post just so I could unlike it. Shame on you, Moo.

Mister Moo, jpberg and psquared like this.
  5. Mister Moo

Jeepers. That's harsh treatment for barnyard honesty. I have experienced one pouch of Condor, ever. I liked it, same as I like Samuel Gawith 1792, yet I fear it like a Great White with a gun in open water. The stuff odorized a favored cob and it took many weeks to banish the ghost.

6. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

Don't banish it. Just smoke more Condor.

Come here Ol' Bossy. Let me scratch you behind the ears.

7. Mister Moo

Hrumph. Not much supply in the Carolinas.

Thuber88 and jpberg like this.
  8. TxTate

TxTate Member

I found this to be very interesting, thank you!

Mister Moo likes this.
  9. Mister Moo

Smoke mo' flake.

psquared and TWolf like this.
  10. DS86

DS86 Member

Thank you for this link. I will make it my home page and get around to checking it out soon.

11. Mister Moo

Flake: truth in advertising.

psquared and Moose like this.
  12. Dr Dover

Dr Dover Member

Currently, one of my elected positions is as State Chaplain for the VFW, so I travel a lot. I have shopped at each of the JR stores. I enjoy shopping at each. For me, it is almost like being a kid in an old time candy store, back when there was such a thing as penny candy. I enjoy searching for "lost treasures" and trying new tobacco. JR has the following qualities: A larger selection than my local shop. You get to walk away with your purchase on the spot and not wait for USPS or UPS. The staff has always been very helpful. From time to time, they have great promotions. I stayed an extra night from one event in order to attend a JR's Cigar and Coffee presentation. When they found out, I got "bumped up" on the type of cigars. You gotta love that!

David Emond, jhguthlac, TWolf and 3 others like this.
  13. Huby Springer

Huby Springer Member

Excellent thread. I had decided to try some SG Full Virginia Flake after lunch today. I hadn't even opened the tin yet. Glad I lucked across this thread 'cause I'm sure I'd have screwed it up without this primer. Anyway, I went down and opened it up....smells great in the tin but very moist. I think I'll have to rub it out and let it dry a little for the first smoke as I can already tell that if I dont I'll end up with a clogged pipe and much frustration. We'll see how this goes.

14. Matrix

Matrix Member

Good informative thread everyone. I just picked up some Mac Baren Navy flake and some Mac Baren Virginia flake. If I'm sober enough after the football tonight I shall be attempting my first foray into the world of flakes. Navy flake has been mentioned on here as a good starter so hopefully the advice on here will lead to an enjoyable smoke.

Lithua pipe and psquared like this.
  15. JoeSmall

JoeSmall Member

I guess I'll have to try some of that navy flake dwaugh sent me a while back. I rubbed one flake out pretty good about a month ago and got 3+ bowls in my legend. Think this time I may experiment with folding and stuffing into a kaywoodie a bunch of us have. A quick question, is one flake a complete tin sized layer or half a tin sized layer? My tin seems like every layer (flake) breaks perfectly in half when I try to pull it out.

16. Mister Moo

The sizes vary according to brand. The MacBarens are usually full width of a tin and quite thin; Samuel Gawith flakes are narrower but thicker. Some are too moist to smoke without a little drying (SG, usually) and MacB is typically perfect out the tin.

17. JoeSmall

JoeSmall Member

Turns out I can just lay em on top and fold em in half and stuff em in the bowl and smoke em. Guess fold and stuff is a pretty accurate way to describe how you fill the bowl with flakes. The cool bit was I'm starting to be able to find the different flavors. I tasted the citrus Virginia that's a lil bit like velvet at the beginning, then when that calmed down a bit I tasted the burley and then throughout I tasted just a hint of something that reminded me there was Cavendish mixed in there too. I even realized that it was dryer than it should be and burning hotter than it should be so I adjusted my technique to compensate and it worked. Gotta say I'm loving this hobby for being only 3 months in.

It was macbarren BTW.

dBear likes this.
  18. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

I don't know if it is my over active imagination or not but I find the fold and stuff method brings out the different flavours in a tobacco in wonderful ways. I like playing with the tobacco so I liked the flakes but started to love them when I discovered the fold and stuff method.

Lithua pipe and psquared like this.
  19. synt4x

synt4x Member

I'm new to flakes so this thread came in handy. Thanks Moo!
    I tried the fold and stuff method the first time but man it was really hard to get it going, and it kept going out every 2 minutes. It took me 3 hours to smoke! Of course, that was a SG FV flake that I had dried for only an hour or so and I've since learned that they need to dry out much longer. But since then I have mostly just rubbed them out and I also tried the cube cut method that I saw in one other video which worked out alright. Next time I'll try the fold and stuff method again though. There was definitely a difference in taste when I did that compared to the other times when I rubbed out the flake.

Lithua pipe likes this.
  20. Mister Moo

FVF x fold n stuff is a challenge for experienced smokers. The FVF bulk burns a bit easier than the tinned, fwiw.

MacB Navy Flake is a very rewarding fold n stuff for novice flake guys.

psquared and Thuber88 like this.