Flake takes

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Mister Moo, Jul 26, 2009.

1. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

The fold and stuff thing takes time. I love it but only use that method when I'm sitting about and not distracted by anything else. I think Erinmore Flake might be a good starting point for fold and stuff as it is a smaller flake that isn't too moist out of the tin. Not to be confused with Erimore Mixture.

I sometimes think of fold and stuff as a codger thing as it helps to be retired and have time to deal with it until you get it down. Even then it requires some attention. For me, it is worth the effort.

David Emond likes this.

2. synt4x

synt4x Member

Just folded and stuffed a flake of Capstan Original Navy Flake and boy was it easier to get going compared to SG FVF. And stays lit a lot longer, although it still does go out from time to time but at least it's not every 2 minutes now. :D So at least with this tobacco I'll continue to do the fold & stuff method.

I'll have to ask about the MacB Navy Flake and Erinmore flake when I go shopping next time as well.

p120d16y likes this.
  3. SmokingRhino

SmokingRhino Member

Had my first flake experience last night with a bowlful of MacB Navy Flake. Having checked out a number of 'how to' vids on youtube, I went with the cube cut method with some rubbed out "kindling" on the top which basically resembled normal ribbon cut stuff. As a newbie I actually ended up with more of this than I intended (about a 1/3 of the bowl to 2/3 cubes) but this at least got it lit well. The main thing I noticed was just how different the flavour was between the rubbed out tobacco and the cubes - far fuller from the cubes and much more enjoyable. It burnt well right to the bottom, very few relights, no bite and took over an hour to get through it! My next challenge will be a fold and stuff

4. halpuff

halpuff Member

One of my favorite flakes is SG Navy Flake and like McNutz I love the process of the fold and stuff method as well. One flake will just about fill my big full bent that I use for flakes. I love to use my full bent in order to get my nose right over the bowl when smoking flakes. I fold and then top off the bowl with some of the loose stuff in the bottom of the tin. SG Navy requires a few relights at first but once going I've held a nice cool smoking smolder for almost an hour and a half. Sometimes a new tin will be quite wet when just opened, but will dry gradually in the tin as time passes. Most of the time I will remove a flake and let it sit out overnight and plan on smoking it the next day. By then the flake is just on the verge of the break / fold state which tells me the flake is just at the right moisture level.
    I have tried the rubbed out method but think the best flavor is realized as it is released gradually from the whole smoldering flake and burning oh so slowly.
    And oh.... those sugar crystal coated flakes and aroma from the tin.........It's no wonder they call it pipe candy.

p120d16y likes this.
  5. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Possibly the easiest smoking, best burning flake around; it's one of them that really doesn't need kindling on top. It's a good flake to rub out gently, wad and gently stuff. It's also a pretty easy fold and screw. Nice to hear we've got another flake artiste in our midst.

6. halpuff

halpuff Member

I'm really surprised that more tobacco makers don't offer their other cuts of tobaccos in flake form.
    For example.....could you imagine what a flake form of Presbyterian or Squadron Leader would taste like?
    Or......for that matter. For the aromatic lovers......How about a flake form of Captain Black.
    Might be a whole new experience.

7. SmokingRhino

SmokingRhino Member

Well I went for the fold and stuff last night with the macb navy flake, and very nice it was too! Required a few more relights than the cube cut method but still smoked nicely down to ash, taking way over an hour. I also have a sample pack of SG FVF lying around. Any advice for preparing/packing this?

mecompco, psquared and Mister Moo like this.
  8. Mister Moo

I would compare ease of smoking between MacB Navy Flake and SG Full Virginia Flake like beauty and the beast. You are looking at two ends of the spectrum, in my view. Frustration with trying to smoke FVF has turned weaker people into flake-haters.

1. let a flake dry for at least 30-45 minutes
    2. rub it out thoroughly and, yes, save the crumbs to put on top
    3. fill without over-compressing - FVF expands quite a bit as it warms up and it will plug a pipe if you over-fill or over-moosh
    4. light the pipe with enthusiasm covering the entire top of the fill with a nice orange glow
    5. a good light may go out more than once; do not overcompress a charring tamp(s) - better to light twice, thrice (or even frice) than plug once

MacBaren's Navy Flake is a walk in the park compared to FVF that hasn't been dried and rubbed. Forget fold and stuff with FVF for a while.

9. SmokingRhino

SmokingRhino Member

Thanks Mister Moo, I'll remember to have some patience for when I give that one a go!

10. Mister Moo

Half bowl, dry, rub well, don't overcompress, light with gusto, tamp lightly. Good as gold.

11. psquared

psquared DGErwin, my horse would like a word with you...

A wide/conical bowl may also help with FVF.

12. Mister Moo

Or a blowtorch (for a rookie).

psquared likes this.
  13. Charles

Charles Member

SG Chocolate Flake is always a hard one to get going I find. But its worth it! The flavor is 10x better folded and stuffed.

14. cigarsarge

cigarsarge Active Member

I cube wet flakes and rub out dry flakes into pretty large chunks. Always leave plenty of room for expansion upon lighting.

15. hoss

hoss Member

I hold dear my medallions, flakes and crumble kakes. Number one on the list (which is, actually, a pretty crumbly flake) would be Butera Kingfisher. Something i've been bulking on for years as it is no longer easy to find. Personally, i use a wide combination of methods from folding, twisting, rubbing, drying, stacking, etc depending on mood, moisture level, time on hand, size/shape of flake and type of bowl i'm smoking them in. I have a perfect bowl for curly cut disks, for instance, and like to rub a couple out, make a bed in the base of the bowl w/ the larger strands, stack several disks in the middle and top off with the finer shreds from the disks i rubbed out originally. To each his own! :puffy:

16. JohnG

JohnG Member

I have my first ever flake out and drying right now. SG Best Brown..... It came out of the tin very moist.
    Guess for my first attempt I will cube it.
    Wish me luck.

Rockbass likes this.
  17. Mister Moo

Leathery stuff, that... needs drying - maybe shredding, too. Lovely stuff.

18. JohnG

JohnG Member

Shredding... Tts basically pulling it apart, right. Then just place it in the bowl ?

19. Mister Moo

Lots of things work with Best Brown; personally I like shredding it to smithereens after it dries a bit. Throughout a smoke compress very lightly in the pipe or it makes like a cement plug. I just moosh the whole mess lightly in a bowl.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  20. JohnG

JohnG Member

Moosh the whole mess.... got it.....thanks