Flake?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Beale, Apr 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beale

Beale Active Member

Ok i keep seeing this topic? I am guessing that the tobacco is just that"Flakes"? Being a NOOB is this something I should wait to try or not. What are it's advantages and disadvantages? If I do try give me a good one or 2 to look for, Beale.

2. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Flakes are a MUST try to all pipers, IMHO.
    Flakes are usually VA based, and some
    are only VAs. Flakes come from sliced
    plug or pressed toby. These can be rubbed
    out, partially rubbed out, folded and
    stuffed, etc. A good starter flake is OGS.
    Nice and light (an all day smoke for me).
    You could request some in a trade and
    see how you like them. They do take a
    bit of getting used to, but once you've
    found a method that works for you when
    loading these, they provide some great
    smokes!

dp

3. Beale

Beale Active Member

Ok I understand some of that? OGS means? I guess I need to spend some time on Pipe a pedia? Beale.

4. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

+1 what snake said . Making flake blends takes time and know how which lends flakes to being mostly of high quality . I really dig the PS / Peter Stokeby and MB / macBaren flakes. They seem to have the right amount of mostiure wheresa others , though equaly as good , are a bit more moist and require longer " air " time to dry enough

5. Beale

Beale Active Member

Thanks again! Beale!

6. Snake

7. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

There are flakes, then there are flakes.

No two are going to be exactly the same. You'll have long, tightly-compacted flakes like Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake, which is mild in flavor but looks and feels like a stick of beef jerky. Then you have all sorts of "broken" flakes, which are jerky-like in shape but don't hold together quite as well. PS luxury navy flake is an example of this (at least I believe--it's been a while). Then you run into the odd varieties of "crumble cakes", which are flakes that basically fall apart if you stare at them too hard. Esoterica Penzance is a good example of that.

You can fold flakes in half and stuff them into your pipe, rub them between your hands until they resemble ribbon-cut tobacco, roll them into a ball and "cannonball" them in your pipe to leave a little pocket of air at the bottom, or whatever you prefer. It's fun developing different techniques for different pipes and flakes. Flake newbies have to be careful because flakes are usually a ton more moist than ribbon-cut tobacco, plus there's a natural tendency to pack things a little tighter, which results in a very uneven and unpleasant smoke.

A lot of flakes I've tried have an extra oomph of nicotine to them. OGS and the Peterson flakes immediately come to mind. So take your flakes slow, make sure to smoke on a full stomach, and keep a nice beverage on hand if you're susceptible to Vitamin N like I am.

8. Snake

TS,

You think OGS has a good dose of
    vitamin N, huh? Don't try Royal
    Yacht then! You'll be out until the
    next morning. :eek:hyeah:

dp

9. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Right? That was the thought that immediately popped into my head.

TS, sorry for the teasing, but for me, comparing Peterson (IF, UF), to OGS doesn't mesh. OGS is glacier fed spring water to IF's 100 proof whiskey. Both are excellent, though.

Beale, flake is really just another form of tobacco. There is always this sense of mystery and apprehension, it seems, with newer pipers. There needn't be. It like hopping off a mountain bike onto a ten speed. The readjustment is minimal.

If your looking to buy one, OGS or MacBaren's Navy Flake is probably the safest bet. Available and relatively cheap, plus both are presented as a whole flake. (Looks like sticks of chewing gum). They both are also well reviewed and 'palatte' friendly.

10. jhe888

jhe888 Member

Were you asking what a flake is? Maybe you know, but it is a tobacco pressed into a more or less solid mass (which could be in any number of shapes), and then that mass of pressed together tobacco is sliced into flat flakes. The shape of the flakes are determined, of course, by the shape of the compressed toby. Ropes of tobacco get sliced into coin shaped flakes, and cubes get sliced into rectangular or square flakes.

Many flakes are primarily made of Virginia tobacco, but that is not a rule.

11. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Flaked toby allows the piper to choose how they're going to prep the toby for the smoke and adapts easily to varying conditons (try smoking ribbon on a windy day :( ). It's also compact and you can carry a good amount of it in the same sized ribbon/rough-cut pouch. Allows for a better or more consistent "amount" of toby for a particular bowl from bowl to bowl of the same pipe. One slice/one bowl (or half slice, 1.5, etc.) Stays moist longer or doesn't dry out as quickly as ribbon. Many advantages to flakes. Besides, takes up less room and you can get more cellar'd if space is any issue. Or, get more into the jar! :thumbsu: :whistle: :groucho:

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

12. Cobra

Cobra Member

Erinmore Flake is a good one, it has a rich taste, burns slow and cool and gives a fairly good nic hit. It's been my main smoke for forty years. :puffy:

13. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

14. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Beale, my favorite Virginia is a flake and is very popular, available by tin or by the pound and is Dan Tobacco- Hamborger Veermaster (made in Germany). The other is my favorite Burley and is Solani Aged Burley Flake.

These both have a smooth sweetness, but with totally different flavor profiles. Lots of our PSF bretheren speak highly of them, and in fact, turned me on to both.

15. slprl1

slprl1 Member

I would absolutely try flake. It looks like bacon. Gawith's Virginia Flake and Kendall Creme are 2 favorites of mine.

16. Marc

Marc Active Member

A flake tobacco is tobacco that has been pressed then sliced, it can be easily rubbed out for indoor smoking or broken up in chucks or pieces for outdoor smoking or windy conditions.

17. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I deprived myself of this pleasure for over 20 years, based on one bad experience. Then on Good Friday (ironic, eh) I tired some Orlik Golden Sliced (OGS). OGS... OMG! You gotsta try some! I tired the "fold and stuff" method w/out much luck, but just really rubbing it out did just fine. Just be sure to do it over a small plate so it makes it easier for you to fill your pipe, and so you don't lose any of the baccy goodness.

I've since had three bowls of it, two briars and a corncob, and I think it was best in the corncob. I'm gonna buy a new MM Country Gentleman for it, since I think that the MM Diplomat was just a bit too small.

Anyway, do yourself a big favor and get yourself some.

18. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

Maybe it's my body chemistry or the fact that I tried OGS very early on in my piping career and haven't tried it since, but that was my impression. I was hit with the nicotine pretty heavily. I've built quite a tolerance over time so maybe it is time to revisit.

19. woody

woody Admin Admin

Yeah it's good stuff.
    G. L. Pease - Union Square is another good one.

20. Beale

Beale Active Member

Ok my next Buy will be Flake! Sounds very good! Beale.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.