1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Flattening a Pete P-Lip?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Splat, Dec 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Splat

Splat Member

I've got my first Peterson, a p-lipped 302. It really surprised me the difference in tasting compared to my traditional/regular pipes. I tasted things in my baccos that I hadn't tasted before. Orlick's Golden Sliced red is utterly fandamntastic in the Pete! I mean...wow! :bow: The smoke is cooler, and tastier, so I guess this means I'm a Pete believer...except!...the stem. Why oh why'd they have to make it so rounded? I know some have no problems clenching Pete stems but for me it just wants to roll around.

Peterson fans might want to stop reading now because I'm about to speak profanely. :eek: Has anyone took a file to flatten the upper and maybe lower radius of the stem in front of the p-lip? I wonder if I could flatten it enough to facilitate comfortable clenching. Anyone?

PS, anyone know if the fishtail and p-lip stems are the same diameter towards the bit?

2. ronbruce61

ronbruce61 Member

This is what I found on Peterson's website.....if your file job goes bad.I'm almost certain a fishtail stem can be fitted to your pipe.

Replacement Mouthpiece

Peterson pipe mouthpieces, like those of most other manufacturers are not standard size and are normally hand-fitted. Therefore you will need to return your pipe to us to have a new mouthpiece fitted. The price will be €22.50 that includes postage. Payment by credit card will be requested when the new stem has been fitted. If you wish to avail of this service please send your pipe together with your full postal address to:

Pipe Repair Department
    Peterson of Dublin
    Peterson House
    Sallynoggin
    Co. Dublin
    IRELAND

Alternatively, if you are located in the U.S.A. it may be more convenient for you to purchase a stem from Schulte's Pipe Repair Service - details as follows:-

Schulte's Pipe Repair Service
    678 Old Dixie Highway
    Vero Beach
    FL 32962
    U S A
    Phone:772 564 0079

3. Splat

Splat Member

Thanks Ron. I had hoped to not have to go a replacement route. I just got done with my experiment. I dropped the stem into boiling water. After roughly 30seconds I took the stem out and using my small hobby vice flattened about 1/4"-5-/16" out from the p-lip. I then took a fine file and took down the high radiused spots on the top and bottom of the stem. It was a little beat looking so I polished her up using red and then white compound on my diy buffer. So all that and what'd it get me? Well, I can now clench a lot easier than before. It's still not as thin as most fishtails but it's definitely a marked improvement. If I get another p-lip Pete I would do this again. So far, so good.

Tony Malerich likes this.
  4. hansel

hansel Member

i have 3 petes all with plips and i love them, im working on getting another now

5. Splat

Splat Member

I too love the whole performance of "the System" but the dang thick stems just upset me. Why can't they make them with thinner stems?

6. Stinger4me

Stinger4me Member

I have a Peterson pipe and the bit was too short for my liking. I think it may be a Lovat shape, longer shank and short stem. I am not sure whether it went to Norwoods or Walker Briar Works. They made me a new stem, longer and with a P-lip. The pipe gets more use now than previously.

Stinger

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.