1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Flea Market Estate pipes YUK!

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Redone, May 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Redone

Redone Member

Well in my neck of the woods we have hardly had a dry weekend since the so called spring has sprung. We got lucky and had one this past weekend. My daughter, wife and myself enjoyed a nice afternoon at our area's huge weekly outdoor flea market that has an inddor market ,farmers market the whoe deal. I was looking for a few things, Items for my homebar and now Pipe's or pipe smoking items.
    For the bar I got a cool old 70's bar light that said "bars open" on a lampost with two cartoonish clown looking guys drinking and hanging on the pole, $6 and a nice round metal Blatz standing bar light from the 70's for $8.
    I found allot of lighters and a few old half and half tins. I then found a series of mini toby tins in a set in plastic for $6 but passed...never heard of the tobacco brand.
    Then I finally found a cigar box full of old pipes. Every one was super gross. I mean caked with tobacco tar , grime, discolored stem's. All of the bowls had never seen a reamer and were super caked almost unable to put toby in them. There were a few good looking pipes and one was a high end looking pipe maybe a Peterson by the looks but it was too gross to touch. Did anyone back years ago ever clean their pipes or ream them? These things were very used but man, I was surprised how bad of shape they were in.

2. telltime

telltime Active Member

How much were they? If you didn't get them, you may have passed up a few diamonds in the rough that would have cleaned up nicely with a bit of elbow grease...

3. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

As long as briar and stem are sound, these ugly ducklings can oft times be turned into elegant swans. If the price was "right", I hope you didn't pass them by.

I once bought a cigar box full of very rough pipes for $10.00. The Peterson Kinsale I sold for $45.00...the two RJR era Grabows sold for $25.00 each...I'm still smoking the Carey freehand meer-lined. Two others were gifted to new pipers.

4. ichabod

ichabod Member

What did they cost? I would like to find a big box of nasty old pipes that aren't really worth much to try my hand at refurbishing them, get a technique down and test it on cheapies instead of risking damage to a nice pipe.

5. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Dang, you've just missed an opportunity to create silk from pig's ears. Cleaning/restoring grungified pipes is actually kinda fun.

6. Redone

Redone Member

FUN?:eek: Man! I would not let my Daughter touch those things...don't know what you might catch. They were $5 ea and I'm sure I could of got them for 4 maybe 3. I was going to get the one which I'm sure was an old Perterson. There was a few Medico's and I can't remember the other's but about 15-20 in the box. I'm kind of kicking myself for not getting the Peterson looking one. I could not read what it was. I said fine imported briar on the side but the comapny was worn off. Allot of these pipe were way charred around the rim of the bowl really bad.
    I guess I learned something and will go back, there will be more there I'm sure. I'm just not sure I can keep down my lunch cleaning those things..Yuk!

7. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

Three or four bucks isn't a bad price. If you get two that you can re-sell for ten/fifteen bucks each, you're ahead of the game already.
    As for "YUK"...two words....latex gloves. LOL

8. Redone

Redone Member

I guess what put me back was somebody smoked these things and never took a second to clean them. I doubt a pipecleaner hardly ever made it down a stem. If i would got a few I would have quite a bit of time in cleaning them thats for sure. As for the gloves..check..what about a barf bucket.

9. bigpoppamike100

bigpoppamike100 Member

you get the box next time, and i'll pay you for them. Those deals are far and few inbetween. and like t-bear said you probley could have spent 50 bucks on the box and made a 150 bucks, or added some beauties once they where cleaned to your collection

10. whitebriar

whitebriar Member

i'm afraid in the 'old days' men smoked their pipes, using their favorite tobacco, at a fast and furious pace--the object was to enjoy the experience--it wasn't a 'pipe smoking hobby' in those days-- pipe care was highly variable among users, but for the most part was much less cared about than today--

i come from the last generation of those old pipemen--in past years my pipes suffered, but today they are pampered compared to their treatment of 50 years ago--they still smoke sweet after many decades--

11. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

Redone, regardless of whether they may be worth cleaning up (I think they often are) I think you were really getting at: how could anyone have smoked these things... I cleaned up this Kaywoodie from a flea market and I can't imagine how the pipe would have allowed any air to pass through the stem... -David

ichabod likes this.
  12. ichabod

ichabod Member

I've seen some other pipes you've cleaned up and you, sir, are quite good at it. In fact, I have a page saved in my bookmarks, where you cleaned up the guildhall...I just haven't brought myself to try it on anything yet.

Anyway, excellent work!

13. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I've seen pipes that looked worse on the outside, but none that looked worse inside the stem. I can't imagine how horrible that thing must have tasted when the owner lit it up. It's almost too bad they didn't have tobaccoreviews.com back then, that guy would have had some interesting ones...

"Balkan Sobranie: Another boring tobacco. Tried it in my trusty Kaywoodie. Same road tar/ferret vomit taste as the last twenty things I've tried. No points for originality, and more expensive than Borkum Riff. One star."

14. Marc

Marc Active Member

Yuk is right! I would never think of smoking someone else's pipe, I have bought used pipes that were collectable, had them refurbished for display, but I would never smoke a used pipe and there is no level of sanitation that would persuade me to do so, for you that do more power to you!

BradNTX likes this.
  15. Redone

Redone Member

There were maybe 3-4 in that condition ...really a bit worse. The others were some real turds. Some of the bowl rims were charred like old firewood. You could not tell where the rim started with the all the cake. I learned something thou and wont let them go again, might head back this week to see if they are still there.

16. jeffbee

jeffbee Member

Those pipes were smoked to that point because they smoked well. When each one got to the point it wasn't smokable, it got tossed in the cigar box and another pipe was obtained. Its when you find a pipe that old in barely used condition that you should worry. It probably didn't smoke well and thus never got used. Think of the rim-char as a form of rustication.

I have several "rescues" that I like a lot. One is a Preben Holm freehand.

ichabod likes this.
  17. Longbottom Leaf

Longbottom Leaf Member

Do not be afraid of trying to restore old pipes. It is a challenge and the end result is very rewarding in my own experience. I have had so much fun with these last two I can't wait to do more! Five dollars is a very acceptable price imho and for the restoration supplies you might spend thirty or so dollars but they will last you through many restorations.

So far the pipes I have obtained for restoration purposes have come from the dankest darkest antique shop imaginable. (You would expect to find the Necronomicon or other unimaginable things from there seriously) These things were bad so I understand the Yuk factor, they can be fixed though. I've had three successes now and one failure (which was one of my first and it had a crack anyways) I'm out a little bit of money, but for the price I paid it is nothing for getting three pipes and a rewarding experience!

If your worried about sanitation get a pipe retort, I mean come on boiling alcohol? What yuk could survive that? You also have to think these things probably haven't been touched by human lips in many years. Don't forget the stem bleach bath either if necessary that's gonna put a hurt on the yuk as well. Think of it this way.. you've had worse things in your mouth!!!! Have you ever eaten at a restaurant? I'm sure you have and how many people have put there lips on the silverware at the restaurant? Lots more than have had there mouth on the pipe your restoring! Your pipe will be more thoroughly cleaned than that silverware I'll bet;).

If you plan on giving it a try this is the place to be if you have a question, and you will have questions trust me! I researched the topic of restoration quite thoroughly and I still have questions, do some research and then what you can't find on your own ask here and I'm sure you'll get a answer.

If I can fix really nasty pipes up anyone can, and I don't even have extravagant tools either. The fanciest tool I have is a dremel and it is not the most ideal thing for the job but I make it work. If you like working with your hands just jump right in and I'm sure you won't regret it. Enjoy and good luck!

telltime likes this.
  18. Redone

Redone Member

I have nothing against estate's and bought a meer in great shape that way. It's just that these turds were so bad and I could not think how anyone could reach for those foul things day in, day out and smoke it without thinking it needed a cleaning or reaming.

19. DMWyatt

DMWyatt Member

Pending a ghost in one pipe that refuses to leave, all of my briars are estate pipes and have treated me well. Some took a bit more cleaning than others, but there's something to be said for restoring a bit of cultural history.

20. Paul

Paul Member

after dissecting cadavers, i think i could try my hand at cleaning some of these! I'd love to clean up a few pipes to learn how to restore em :]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.