1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Flea Market Find

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Gradog, Jun 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gradog

Gradog Member

I went to a flea market this weekend and found two pipes without stems for $1.00 each. One is a leather covered Longchamp, the other a E Wilke NYC. Both are in fair condition and with some stems and a little TLC will make nice pipes. :D

2. The German Shepherd

The German Shepherd Member

Longchamps have a faithful following and so do Wilkes.  Post pictures when you are able...

Jay

3. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

Ilove these bargain finds, shopping flea markets and antique stores, I find Dunhills for $5.00 occationally and just a month ago I bought over 700 pipes in a big box for .75 cents a piece. In it were many name brand pipes and even found a eight dot Sasieni made by the original artisan like the one on Peaces website. Many Dunhills. This antique dealer thought they were gross and noone would want a bunch of used pipes and when they came in lots he bought, he would throw them in this box in the back room. When I asked if he ever got any pipes he took me back there and said I could go through the box and take anyone for $5.00 each. The first pipe I picked up was a Dunhill so I asked what he would take for the whole box, and he took my low ball offer and thought he made out like a bandit. I am however the bandit, I figure the pipes I got for $500.00 will net me over $25,000 plus dollars.

4. raisingale

raisingale Member

Holy Cow!!! SWEET!!! You should post a few on here for sale. I'd love a bulldog if you have one that fits the bill that you're willing to part with.

5. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

Holy ****! 700! That ought to keep you busy for a few days. Great score.

6. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Knowledge is power and you definitely made an outstanding investment!

Bri2k

7. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

How can you knock this! Well done and what a score!

Happy smoking

Gerry

8. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

Hey how can you go wrong for a buck each? :wtf2: :lolu:

9. stummel bum

stummel bum Member

I wish we had some decent flea markets/antique shops in my locale. Most stuff around here is just people emptying out their mobile homes. You're more likely to find a box of 700 half smoked cigarettes :)

10. Artee

Artee Member

I'm new to pipe smoking, but love the idea of collecting pipes. There are some great antique stores around here and this sounds like a good way to try to find pipes. One question I have, is, how do you go about cleaning old, used pipes? Is there a liquid that won't ruin the wood? Or does water work fine?

11. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Oh Dear, you are asking a question that inspires lots of emotion and lots of answers. Someone help out here, but I think that you can do a search on cleaning and see lots of methods. I have good luck with the salt/alcohol treatment, while others believe it will cause a plague of locusts to infest the earth, so read up, and try what you want to try.

Reaming cake from an estate pipe is another subject with lots of opinions.

12. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

I just used alcohol (from a drug store) and kept lightly cleaning with a Q tip.
    BUT...mine already had a rather dull/matt type finish to begin with. If it's something nice do your homework and ask lots of questions here.
    There's more then one pipe maker here that can give you ideas as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.