1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Fleamarket Finds

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by MikeInMaine, Jul 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Dennis

Steve Dennis Member

Great score indeed! Congrats and enjoy.

2. MikeInMaine

MikeInMaine Passes for human

I think I'll go back and get the Comoys but the rest were junk.

3. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

Nice Catches, man.

4. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

Is the stinger 3 or 4 hole on Kaywoodie...any dots on Stem of the other pipe

5. MikeInMaine

4 holes on the stinger 3 on the end and one up on the shaft near where it screws in. No dots on the saseini just a faint R stamped on top of an S for Royal Stuart.

Jeebs likes this.
  6. NickWilliams

NickWilliams Member

My brother just called and said he picked me up a bag of pipes at a flea market. He is going to bring them by the house later tonight. I am so excited to see what he found! Can't wait to post some pics!

7. NickWilliams

NickWilliams Member

Some interesting finds in this batch!

There is a neat Tinder Box St Ives sandblast pot with a saddle bit probably from the mid 70's (I think there were made by Armelli)
    An old Willard pot
    A really cool Claridge silver banded apple with original inlay in the saddle bit (Comoys second)
    A Jost Regent billiard which is a local St. Louis maker associated with a downtown pipe shop (probably 1950's) that is long gone. They were also associated with Comoys
    A neat little Yello Bole silver banded doublin
    Another odd little doublin that is just stamped "Piccadilly"
    A couple of free hand carved French Jumbos that are stocky pipes
    A Falcon of some sort. Maybe a knock off. It is branded "Kool Smoke" on the bottom of the metal shank. I don't know much about these.

There are couple of others that were pretty trashed with crack shanks, but overall this was not the usual flea market fare. They need some work, but just the local history in Jost and the Tinder Box pipe make it worth while. I plan to start polishing them up and listing most of them for sale in the next few days.

8. Hudson

Hudson Member

A bag of pipes; I love it.

9. MikeInMaine

I have some time off in August. I aim to visit every antique shop, junk shop, and flea market in central Maine before it gets too cold to ride.
    I just know my birthyear Dunhill is out there.

jpberg likes this.
  10. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

The two most asked for items at local flea markets are pipes and straight razors... I think a pipe smoking revolution is upon us :xd:

11. NickWilliams

NickWilliams Member

Those are some of my favorite words! I loves me a bag o' pipes! I never actually make any money off of them. I usually make enough to pay for my investment and that's about it. It is fun to restore them though, and once I have recouped my initial investment I end up giving most of them away to new smokers. It is hobby.

On my way to pick up some supplies for restoring this batch. The sanding and reaming are done. The salt and alcohol go in today, and then it is time for the polishing wheel. There are some great smokers in this batch. The two Comoys seconds are beautiful, and the Jumbos are like nothing I have ever seen. They are stout, thick pipes with huge chambers that are incredibly light for their size. They feel very earthy and substantial. They are going to make a couple of smokers very happy.

12. MikeInMaine

I am smoking some Moontrance in the Sasieni right now and just had to come back to this thread and say its an incredible smoker. Perfect. The Savinelli is fantastic too but there seems to be something special in this here briar. A definite part of the permanent collection!

jpberg likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.