Flue curing for the hobbyist

Jonesy

Been reading everything I can find on growin baccy getting ready for my first grow next year. Everything I've read says you need to flue your Virginia's and some others for best taste. This left me a little sadden because everything I've seen is quite expensive. I found this one site though:

http://www.coffinails.com/curing_tobacco.html

It talks about using an oil heater wired to a hot water heater thermostat and basically building a box with polystyrene insulation. It seems like a good innovation.
Do any growers out there have an opinion on this??

Any thoughts at all would be most welcome

Happy:puffy:

Malcontent

Jonesy, check out Wicker Man's thread. He has an insulated shed with heater, fans, humidifier and the associated measurement instrumentation. It is a pretty good set up and should give you some ideas on how to do it.

Jonesy

Jonesy, check out Wicker Man's thread. He has an insulated shed with heater, fans, humidifier and the associated measurement instrumentation. It is a pretty good set up and should give you some ideas on how to do it.
Thanks Mal. That was very helpful

Baccyman

The crock pot with a water tank thermostat is the way to go but only if you are fermenting your tobacco. To flue cure you need to be able to raise the temp of your tobacco slowly (about 2 degrees an hour) . There are several stages such as the wilting stage, drying stage etc. You also need to keep track of your wet bulb and dry bulb temperature as you are raising it. This cannot be done with the crock pot method. A very easy alternative to flue curing is sun curing. The leaf looks the same (bright yellow) and tastes the same as flue cured. There is a lot of info on FairTradeTobacco forum from guys that have built flue curing chambers. I have flue cured but once I started sun curing, I never went back.

If you do not flue cure or sun cure a Virginia it will resemble nothing at all to a flue cured variety. It will cure brown and have almost no sugar content left in it.