foggy jars

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by soundlzrd, Aug 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

A year ago I headed about jars and started keeping all my toby in jars. I wanted to have a larger jar which I would use for my go to smoke. I got a nice hinged jar for this toby, ordered 6 oz and filled the jar. I then moved and have been smoking out of whatever I buy at the local shop. I just went and checked on some of my older tobacco. I found the jar to be hazzed on the inside. What is going on? I have never seen this before. Picture is attached.

2. Smokingmiami

Smokingmiami Member

Have you opened the jar? Was there too much moisture inside?

3. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Is the haze "fuzzy" and/or grayish-green? Tobacco "bloom" would be like white speckles on the toby but not on the glass. I'd suspect mold until you can verify it's not. Take it to a tobacconist you trust and have dealt with before (and know). Good luck on the potential of having some KILLER smoke, and hope that's the case (toby bloom). Smell only isn't a good enough test, especially since if it could be mold, you'd be sniffing some spores right up the schnozz. Toby bloom doesn't make the toby smell bad. Whereas mold as it degrades your toby would I would imagine. I've never had mold on any of my toby so I can't say what it smells like, but to confuse the smell issue, moldy bread doesn't smell bad, it doesn't smell fresh but it doesn't smell bad. Don't smoke mold, live long and prosper (as a piper)!

:)
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

4. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Did you leave a humdifier 'puck'/pad in there? Did you clean it thoroughly last time you placed tobacco in it? Hopefully it is bloom, but don't hold your breath.

5. hoss

hoss Member

I would suspect the temperature of storage as well in this case. I keep mine in an underground basement/cellar space along with wine at about 60F. If it's hot where these are stored then the humidity inside the container may cause this effect. I'd open em up, let em breath and check the condition of the contents.

6. woodbutcher

woodbutcher Member

There used to be a good "science project" for kids that involved turning a jar on it's side, filling 1/3 with dirt, adding a little water and seeds, and closing (sealing) the lid. It was called a terrerium (sp). The object was that the moisture that was already present in the jar would evaporate, condense, and feed the seeds inside. It lived!!!
    Since the tobacco that you placed in your jar was moist to begin with, there is no reason not to expect some condensation on the inside (since the moisture can't get out). At the same time, since modern blenders have been taking measures to prevent contaminates from affecting their product, I don't see where it should be a major concern.
    Tobacco is grown in dirt. It is handled by countless people through it's many processes. It is sold to you in a sealed tin. You place it in a clear jar...and you're amazed to see moisture? If the tin was as "see-through", don't you think you'd see the same thing as the temperature changed?

Relax. Dry it out to your comfort level. Smoke it.
    Dan

7. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

Is that jar glass or plastic?

Was the inside of the glass wet?

How does the tobacco look? Is it normal looking when you open the jar and look inside? How does it smell?

Where did you have it stored? Was it in the dark or in sunlight and was it cool or hot?

8. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

Thanks guys.

The tobacco is being stored in a cool basement, I think 63 deg. I opened the jar and there was no off smells, but defiantly a higher moisture content. This toby was in the moving truck two months ago for the week drive cross country, but other than that has been in a temperature controlled environment. I am headed to the shop I had ordered the toby from, so I may just take the jar along for the ride.

9. Shootinok

Shootinok Member

I put some pretty moist black cavendish in a jar and within a few weeks had a foggy jar too.
    No big deal, just left the jar open for a day then shook it up and left it open for a while longer. No problems, no mold, no creepy fungus among us. Tobacco is fine, just needed a aeration I guess.

I'm with woodbutcher - dry it out and smoke it.

10. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

I've heard those bail top jars aren't the best for long-term storage. Best to get some mason jars.

11. Jonny

Jonny Member

Just looks like humidity to me. Maybe you should let that stuff dry out?

12. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

Well, looks like I will just open it up for a while and see what happen. When It comes time to close things back up, looks like mason jars will be the ticket. Just need to stop by target or walmart tonight on my way to a friends for a pipe.

13. Jonny

Jonny Member

What ended up happening with the jar?

14. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

Just opened ut up and it was moist. I am in need of 16 oz jars and just going to move it. I believe the seal to be bad. Toby smells, looks and feels fine. Might try some tomorrow on the way to the pipe show!

15. ChrisD

ChrisD Member

This is happening to me in a Ball mason jar as well. I hope it doesn't mold

16. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

Had this problem with a few bail-top jars. Went strictly Mason/Ball flat/ring seal type jars and haven't had it happen since.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.