• This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Following Sir Walt!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Ted

The postman knocked this morning - with a reinforced card tube around 16" long, from John at Bewdley Pottery, carefully tipping out all the little pellets revealed my latest pipe!:banana:
Well, three bowls of Best Brown Flake later - I'm 'over the moon'!, sitting in my back yard, having the best smoke for a long time - bar none!
Now, I just need to be extra careful with this baby, while I'm emulating Sir Walter!:th1:

MakDragon

Wizard of PSF
No Ads Upgrade
That's a nice looking old style tavern pipe! :th1:
I just recently learned why they call them Tavern pipes! I am sure you all know, but for those that dont, they were pipes available in the taverns for the people to smoke when they didnt have a pipe. When they were finished, all they had to do was break off the part of the pipe that was used and it was ready for the next smoker.

Old Ted

That's a nice clay, Ted! Enjoy!
Is the red bit some kind of mouth piece and/or replaceable?:bing:
It's some kind of coating they put on to stop soft skin (lips) sticking to the clay when damp.....at least that's what I assume!, I actually had my lip bleed a little once - when it stuck to new, bare clay.
OT

yinyang

Some rim charring is to be expected.
No Ads Upgrade
A plain plywood background? Really? I've come to expect more from your snaps, OT. :( Nice pipe, though! (Even if you are just over compensating somehow...) :)

shadow

Thanks for your replies, guys!
I read somewhere that a drop of olive oil can prevent sticking as well. Still: The coating is a good idea!:bing:

Old Ted

A plain plywood background? Really? I've come to expect more from your snaps, OT. :( Nice pipe, though! (Even if you are just over compensating somehow...) :)
well, I like to take my pics outside using natural light (hate flash!) and that plywood does make things stand out a bit better than the pics we often see - of a blurred, out of focus pipe on someones old sofa and all washed out by too much direct-flash!....over compensating...indeed! that does it - I'm going to bed with my churchwarden to watch TV! :mad:

Elwin

Great pipe, OT!

Umm, not to be a stick in the mud, but those stories about breaking off the end of the clay stem for hygienic sake seem to be just that - a story.
There's a great article written for Colonial Williamsburg called "Hunting for the Little Ladle" that pretty much dispels that idea starting in the second paragraph.
And it's just a great little article if you're interested in clay pipes in general.

http://www.history.org/foundation/journal/winter03-04/pipes.cfm

Great pipe, OT!

Umm, not to be a stick in the mud, but those stories about breaking off the end of the clay stem for hygienic sake seem to be just that - a story.
There's a great article written for Colonial Williamsburg called "Hunting for the Little Ladle" that pretty much dispels that idea starting in the second paragraph.
And it's just a great little article if you're interested in clay pipes in general.

http://www.history.org/foundation/journal/winter03-04/pipes.cfm
Thanks for the link, I stand corrected and informed now, great article! :th1:

Status
Not open for further replies.