Foul smell during break in period.

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by hammondsj, Mar 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hammondsj

hammondsj Member

I was recently gifted a basket pipe each time I smoke it during the break in period it puts off a foul smell. Is this normal?

2. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

The combustion chamber may have been coated with something. I'm sure there are others around here that will have a better explanation...

3. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

What does it smell like? Burning wood? Did it come with a bowl coating? Could it be a new tobacco you are smoking for the first time?

4. hammondsj

hammondsj Member

The smell is hard to describe but it does look like it has a coating in it. My GBD estates never put off a smell but I'm guessing that's because they are estates.

5. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

Guess they're basket pipes for a reason..

Dutchking22 and hammondsj like this.
  6. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

This smell will most probably go away in a bowl or two, not all bowl coatings are created equally.

hammondsj likes this.
  7. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

And welcome to the world of breaking in new pipes! :puffy:

8. hammondsj

hammondsj Member

Thanks!

9. Jay

Jay Active Member

Could be a little of the wood burning, be careful. I only had one pipe do this, and I am not a big fan (lazy) of proper break in methods. That being said, I did go back and smoke bowls in graduating quantities after the burning briar episode. Briar has a very funny taste when it burns. It is not a good taste/smell.

10. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

It has been so long since I had to break in a pipe that wasn't a cob............

11. Basil Meadows

Basil Meadows Active Member

If you want to quicken the break in on your pipe, have you tried coating the bowl with honey? A lite coating between each smoke the first few times will speed up the caking process (and may help tolerate the foul smell). Good luck!

12. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I noticed the same thing when I smoked my new metal pipe but then realized that I had eaten Taco Bell a couple hours earlier. I'm guessing there's a correlation.

I'm concerned that what you're smelling may be frying briar. Is the bowl getting really hot very quickly?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.