1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Foul tasting ser jacopo

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Degenetron, Oct 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Degenetron

Degenetron Member

So i recently ordered my first Ser Jacopo pipe, but im having some issues with it.. I don't know if it's the carbon coating in it or if there is some other issue..

Thing is it tastes really nasty. Like a very strong burnt chemicaly taste.. Tried 3 different tobaccos that i know are good in other pipes, all tasting the same.

Anyone else noticed this with a new Ser Jacopo? I'm assuming it is the carbon coating because, well.. I can't really see anything else it could be..

2. nitehawk

nitehawk Active Member

I don't own a Jacopo, but they do have a reputation of high quality. It may just be because the pipe is new, and the taste issue will resolve itself with age. Just my 2 cents, for what it's worth.

3. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

Maybe some stain and/or varnish got insideit before the carbon coating was applied. I'm sure it will be ok after a cake forms.

4. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Ream out the pre-carb, start fresh. I hate that crap.

Mark w4mms likes this.
  5. lostopossum

lostopossum Member

I have 13 Ser Jacopos and have never had that kind of issue with them, however I can tell you that the precarbed ones that I have are very finicky until they have a good cake formed. Stick with it and get it it really well broken in, and you will be rewarded with an amazing pipe that will be with you a very long time.

Mark w4mms likes this.
  6. Degenetron

Degenetron Member

I sure hope it does.
    Quite possible.. at the moment im not even sure how i'll get a cake in it. The taste is so bad i am sitting here with the wrong end in my mouth, blowing through it ;)
    Seems i'll have to ream it out rather harshly too.. First thing i did was try whiping it out with alcohol as i usually do on my petersons.. The peterson gunk comes right off with alcohol.. It didn't put a dent in the stuff on this though. Perhaps sandpaper will do the trick. I don't have a reamer that could get this stuff off.
    Well, at the very least that supports Arkies suggestion about the varnish getting in there. When you say finicky i assume you don't mean the flavour. I'll try sticking with it, but it really is bad.. it's not just like a hint of something.. The taste is very strong and i dunno.. it tastes like something you really shouldn't be getting into your system.. pipe varnish is alcohol based and mostly harmless, right? :(

7. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Own just one Ser Jac, and it didn't have this issue.
    Take some sand paper to it. If you don't get through
    the carbon, at least the cake will build up fast.

8. daveinlax

daveinlax Member

I have a gem line straight grain that didn't have the coating that tasted horrible from the first smoke. It tasted green like smoking stinky ripe silage, just plain stank ass nasty for the first couple of dozen bowls then it went away and the pipe is still in the collection today. :confused:

9. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I had that happen w/ my Peterson Emerald Rustic . I smoked through it ... took about 10 bowls I'm guessin . Once through ... it's a great smoker . Good luck .

10. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

I cast my vote for sandpaper.

11. Degenetron

Degenetron Member

So a quick update.. i didn't have any fine grit sandpaper so i descided to just try smoking it a few more times. It is definitely better now.. the taste is still there, but not so strong.. gues i've only smoked it about 10 times, but it seems things are going the right way.

Thats about the way i'd describe the taste, yeah :D

So 2 dozen.. I'll be a brave lil soldier then. ;)

12. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

I am breaking a Ser Jac atm and am not experiencing any negatives beyond a drafthole drilled slightly higher than I'd prefer. It's about 1/8" from bottom but she's a wonderful smoker for sure. Wouldn't have expected this from a $600 pipe. I bought it new and at less than half price. For that, I'll accept the need to smoke carefully when we approach bottom. Great smoker and if I'm careful, shell overcome her defect and become a cherished peep. Mine is not carbon coated and tastes like cloves when I'm tastin the pipe.

Deg, you can handle 20 bowls cantchya? I have a feeling once you're beyond the yuk taste, you're gonna love that pipe!

Ed
    Puff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.