Frank Method

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoebox

I still learn something every time I read this thread again
Well I’m a brand new piper and had the constant relights and hot bowl etc... all the usual stuff. I just did my first “ frank method”... 6-7 minutes before the relight and had to walk away to go to lunch after another 5. Mins. I can’t believe how enjoyable it is now!!! Ohh man!!! Thank you!!!

Shoebox

Second frank method smoke on the way home lasted an hour with 4-5 relights but it was in the car so mortal kombat is at hand on the super slabs of Dallas. Smoke was a little ashy and had some good Dottle when I got home but the point is that modifying your packing and for sure get good results

Serenity

Second frank method smoke on the way home lasted an hour with 4-5 relights but it was in the car so mortal kombat is at hand on the super slabs of Dallas. Smoke was a little ashy and had some good Dottle when I got home but the point is that modifying your packing and for sure get good results
Sounds like all you need now is to work on your tramping technique and those relight will disappear!

RedScot

I switched a fee weeks ago from using the three-step gravity fill to using the Frank method. I still have to moderate the amount of "pinch" to avoid tight draws, but practice helps.
I have noticed, though, that my pipes are building up a lot more cake. A LOT more.
Has anyone had a similar experience?

Absolutely, as soon started pipe smoking and using the 3 step menthod with not much luck I switched to the frank menthod and bang it ‘‘twas perfection with some practice of course. The level of cake will veary with different tobacco cuts but for the most part I have a even cake all the way down the bowl.

woody

Admin
Staff member
Admin
I switched a fee weeks ago from using the three-step gravity fill to using the Frank method. I still have to moderate the amount of "pinch" to avoid tight draws, but practice helps.
I have noticed, though, that my pipes are building up a lot more cake. A LOT more.
Has anyone had a similar experience?
Topics merged.

I've been working on the Frank lately. After some squishing and cramming I'm quite surprised that the pipe still draws so well.

I guess the key is to make sure it's not too tight at the bottom of the bowl?

I just codger scoop. I've tried the 3 step and Frank methods, but decided that all that was just over-thinking the situation. Just fill your pipe, pack it a bit lighter than you think it should be, and light it. If it goes out, relight and don't over-think that either. Worrying about not having your pipe go out will probably just cause you to smoke it too hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.