1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Frank-N-Peter

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by FlameOn, Sep 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FlameOn

FlameOn Member

Hi all - new here to the site. I have a new estate pipe but no info on it. It's a straight, smooth, briar wood pipe with Frank-N-Peter impressed on the side. It has a vulcanite stem which I've been cleaning up. The tenon is threaded aluminum (I think). The interesting thing about it is the metal bit that comes out of the tenon and slides into the shank. Any info on this one? thanks!

2. FlameOn

FlameOn Member

P.S. I assume it's a heat sink?

3. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Sounds interesting, got any pics?

4. FlameOn

FlameOn Member

Pic one has the full pipe.

Pic two shows the maker's mark.

Pic three shows the aluminum rod. I assume the beads are for stability and added surface area. I used a bit of bleach on the stem and some must of gotten on the aluminum because it's turning grey in places. I'll give it a vinegar treatment later.

It was rancid when I got it but it smokes well now.

5. FlameOn

FlameOn Member

Pic Two

6. FlameOn

FlameOn Member

Pic Three of Three

7. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

First things first....welcome to the nut house
    ..errrrmmmm...the forum!
    As for your pipe...
    OK...looks to be a standard straight billiard shape, probably what we call a "basket pipe". The name is unfamiliar to me, but let's face it, I don't know EVERYTHING...almost, but not quite...LOL
    That "metal thingie" is called a stinger...it's supposed to act as a condenser, taking the excess moisture from the smoke. Some swear BY them, others swear AT them...I'm in the second camp. Cleaned up and cared for properly, it should prove to be a decent smoker....welcome to the hobby!

8. Pschoppy48

Pschoppy48 Member

I can't be sure, but I think Wally Frank might of had something to do with that pipe.

9. FlameOn

FlameOn Member

Thanks for the warm welcome and info! I don't know if I've got the skills yet to notice any difference between the 'stinger' pipe and my other, similar one. It's cleaning up nicely though, considering the reeking mess that it was when I picked it up. ($10 at a second hand shop). Any thoughts on a year of origin?

10. FlameOn

FlameOn Member

From my research online I had begun to suspect the same thing.

11. user0003

You can take the stinger out if you want. The stinger should pull out. It won't hurt the pipe to smoke without it and it might even smoke better. Kaywoodie and Dr. Grabow pipes, among others, also use some type of stinger.

12. FlameOn

FlameOn Member

I tried when I first got it, and tried again now, but no luck getting it out. I might be able to get it out if I pulled REALLY hard but I'm afraid I'll break it. I'm not too worried though, it's kind of a novelty for me. I'd still love to find out more about the maker.

13. Legend

Legend Member

I believe there was a guy named Bruce Peters, who was a financial officer for Penn tobacco company, that had some pipes named after him. They were made by HL&T, which at the time owned Dr. Grabow. Maybe there'e a tie-in, the pipe does look like an older Doc G shape.

14. FlameOn

FlameOn Member

Interesting, thanks!

15. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

Easy on the stinger removal...some are two piece and some are integral to the stem. Kaywoodies are like the latter...many pipers just take a hack saw to them. If you find that the draw is too restricted for your taste...that's an option.

16. FlameOn

FlameOn Member

thanks for the tip - i do believe that this one is integral. I haven't noticed a problem with the draw, but then again I am kind of inexperienced.

17. user0003

Your is a 2 piece stinger, it will come out. Soak the seam where they are put together with lighter fluid, it's probably just gummed up and stuck. It's just a light press fit. A little heat on the tip might help it come out. It will smoke better with out it.

18. FlameOn

FlameOn Member

Sounds like another project!

19. Rider

Rider Member

STINGER HATER!! :ass:

;)

20. FlameOn

FlameOn Member

The stinger is out! I used some solvent applied with a q-tip, then wrapped the end of the stinger in a piece of rough leather and pulled it out with a pair of pliers. After some cleaning it slides in and out like a dream. Haven't smoked it sans-stinger yet, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.