Freakin TAD

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by LutzSpearo, May 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LutzSpearo

LutzSpearo Member

So I just went through my cart at SmokingPipes.com, um... I think there's something wrong with me. 30 tins of tobacco, 300 bucks. I mean, I don't really need it yet, but I will one day, and they will only improve with a little time anyway. But I just started with the pipe a couple of months ago, and I still have about 20 tins of other tobaccos I want to explore.

I can't justify it, but damn do I want to click checkout!

It's like self-inflicted pain, it's nuts! Looking at all these wonderful tobaccos, adding them to the cart to save them for later. Please tell me others do this kind of thing to themselves.

PipeSimmo, Thuber88 and Old Codger like this.

2. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

Well if you have 300$ thats doing nothing then go for it hehe.

PipeSimmo and Thuber88 like this.
  3. esteban

esteban Active Member

this is good for the economy......click click..... you deserve all this baccy, go ahead

Thuber88 likes this.
  4. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Nope, can't say that I do, I've tried a great many blends over the years but only a couple of open tins at a time, I smoke and pay as I go... ;)

Thuber88 likes this.
  5. gunsmoke

gunsmoke Member

How much do you smoke? You say you have 20 +another 30 that's 50 (I think?) That's a lot. Will you smoke it all? Most Virginia based blends will certainly get better with age. Lat blend will also to some extent but may loose something after an extended period of time (somewhere around 10 years or so). Are you going to like the same things 10 years down the road? In my 4 years of smoking a pipe my tastes have changed considerably. These are only my observations about my own tastes, but these are questions I wish I had asked myself before spending 300 bucks.
    Proceed with caution
    & happy smoking
    Brian

LutzSpearo and Thuber88 like this.
  6. SthrnMan

SthrnMan Member

When I upgraded from OTC's and I started ordering online I made a promise to myself and my wife. I set a monthly PAD/TAD budget and I refuse to exceed it. I already have my pipe and tobacco orders lined up or next month. I can wait

Atom, Thuber88, Morse and 2 others like this.
  7. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member

What SthrnMan said. Come up with a comfortable number for monthly TAD/PAD purchases and stick to it. If the number is 300.00 then go for it. If it isn't 300.00 then change the order.

Thuber88, Morse and SthrnMan like this.
  8. Moose

Moose Active Member

Dammit man it is only money. :poke: They make it every day. As long as you and your dog have enough to eat, I don't see a problem.

DOOOOOOOOOOEEEEEEEEEEET!

I have had this same problem agonizing over weather to push the "place order" button. Over half the time impulse wins and UPS brings me a box. :ohyh:

Thuber88 likes this.
  9. Morse

Morse Active Member

This is exactly what I do - works well for all parties involved

10. ronbruce61

ronbruce61 Member

I usually order whatever it takes to get free shipping.......I KNOW I KNOW.It just pisses me off to pay for something that should be free to begin with.

Ron

gahdzila and Thuber88 like this.
  11. ruralhipster

ruralhipster Member

It's pretty normal when you start to want to buy every tobacco that sounds remotely interesting. The only flaw in this logic is it might be 2 or 3 years until you try some of those tobaccos so if you find one you really love with 3 years age on it when you buy more it might not be as great fresh, the blend or blender may have changed or worse case it might be discontinued.

Thuber88 likes this.
  12. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

It's only money .. It's not like you don't have anything to show for it :th1: Hell , it could be a lot worse ..., at least you know where you are :beck:

Thuber88 likes this.
  13. Tate

Tate Member

The biggest problem with ordering a ton of tobacco when you're relatively new to the hobby is that you haven't had time to sort out your personal tastes just yet. It takes time to get the basics down, as in... I really like (Pure Va, Va/per, Va/bur, Burley, English blends, aromatics, etc etc).

I would suggest you cool it on the buy everything boat and just focus on going after some of the best of breeds of the major categories and settling in with them for a while. Then if you like some more than others branch out in that realm to explore a few different brands and types. I know it sounds like forever, but after about a year you'll know a LOT more about what you're looking for.

Just think, it would be a shame if you found out you really didn't care for a certain type of tobacco but had 10 tins of it sitting around and then you are forced to go a trading.

SthrnMan likes this.
  14. LutzSpearo

LutzSpearo Member

I like everyone's input. I do believe in budgets. However, in my particular situation, I cannot easily get pipe tobacco in Asia. And soon, we'll be moving to the Middle East, and I have no idea how the situation will be there in regard to sourcing pipe tobacco. A monthly budget doesn't work for me, because I can't be shipping a few tins of tobacco every month, it isn't cost effective. So what I'm thinking is to stock up now on blends I like so far (just another tin of each), and a bunch of other blends I've read up on and would like to try at some point.

I also need to use some moderation, so I've looked at the different types of blends in my cart and moved some to the wishlist for future ordering. I've got the list down to 22 tins now, I think that's a decent amount and not too crazy!

15. Moose

Moose Active Member

In the immortal word of Larry the Cable Guy "Git R' Done"!

16. JHeiliger

JHeiliger Sales Account

I would consider the way you are thinking reasonable, as long as you stick to a plan. If you cant ship tobacco often, then you need to take enough with you to last. Some questions before you order -

Do you have enough stock of your favorites? -- I like to try new things, but I rely on some "regulars".

How much do you smoke (#of tins per month)? -- This may give you a good estimate of how much you need to bring with you.

Budget concerns... What do you reasonably have to spend? -- Self control is always necessary, and especially in money matters or you will regret it later.

Best of luck!
    Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.