French tobaccos?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Thaisamurai, Oct 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thaisamurai

Thaisamurai Member

Hey everyone, I'm flying to Paris on business at the end of this week, and I thought it might be a good opportunity for me to pick up some unique tobaccos/accessories while I'm there.

Can anyone recommend any good and/or interesting tobaccos that are unique to France? Which shops should I visit? I will be staying somewhere near the city center, if that helps.

Please keep in mind that I'm a new pipe smoker, so I'm not exactly sure what I like yet. I think I prefer natural tobacco flavors, but am also willing to try aromatics if they're highly recommended. I had a bad experience with a "cherry cavendish", but I'm sure not all aromatics are like that.

Thanks very much in advance!

2. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Active Member

It's an interesting question. I don't think France is associated with fine tobacco or pipe making. It will be interesting to learn what suggestions get offered up. It's a nation of smokers but besides cigarettes, I don't think France makes a dent in the tobacco world.

Enjoy your trip and eat well.
    WK

3. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Pipe-wise, there's Butz-Choquin, Ropp, GBD, and Chacom, but I don't know of any French tobaccos other than Gauloise (which I don't think I'd put in a pipe). I'd be interested to hear about anything you find, Thaisamurai!

4. Burner

Burner Member

Not sure about french tobaccos but I found talk of a pipe store in paris
    "You'll find a wonderful pipe shop in the arcade in Palais Royale."

5. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

According to Forbes magazine, one of the top ten tobacconists in the world is located in Paris, one block away from the Louvre:
    À La Civette
    157 Rue Saint Honoré, Paris 75001
    Phone: 011 42 96 04 99

There was a forum discussion some time back about a Belgian blend called Semois, you might want to check for that too. The thread is here.

A famous French luxury goods maker is Longchamp, their first products were pipes. Read about them here

Bon voyage! https://pipesmokersforum.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/original.gif

6. WillH

WillH Active Member

Not sure about central France but Luxembourg (right next door) has all the regular tobacco products you'd find around Europe. I think they serve the smallest beers in the world there :eek:hyeah: . I have a Claude Romain pipe that was made in France. Surely they had something around to fill it? :dunno:

Will

7. Thaisamurai

Thaisamurai Member

Thanks for your comments everyone. I'm not sure how the multi-quote function works, so I'm going to post replies for each comment in their respective order:

I will definitely eat well while I'm there! That's the least I do whenever I go somewhere new. Thanks for your well-wishes!

Yes, seeing as France seems to produce quite a few good quality pipes, one would think they produce good tobacco too. I will report back on any interesting finds I might make while I'm there.

I'm still looking for additional information on the pipe shop in the Palais Royale. If I manage to make my way there, I'll be happy to share my experiences there for everyone.

As for À La Civette, I checked them out on the 'Net, and they seem to be primarily a cigar shop. Hopefully I'll be able to check them out too. And after reading the Semois thread, I think that's something definitely worth picking up! Longchamp...I thought they just made leather pouches for pipes at first. Always good to learn something new!

I wish I could go to Luxembourg! But since I'm going on business, I won't have any time to travel outside of Paris...maybe next time. And if by a "small" beer you mean the serving size, I think Cologne, Germany is a strong contender for that...the local brew, Koelsch, is served in 200ml glasses (an American pint, by comparison, is 473ml).

8. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Yup, la Civette's primarily cigars, but there are posts on other forums which say there are definitely some pipes there, including some nicely discounted meerschaums https://pipesmokersforum.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/naughty.gif

9. Thaisamurai

Thaisamurai Member

Seeing "meerschaums" really perks my interest. "Discounted" positively makes me drool, haha :P REALLY have to find time to go now!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.