Fresh Tin of Squadron Leader

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by RTOdhner, Sep 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I finished-up the last of a four ounce jar of MacB Solent Mixture when I got home from work, and just now cracked a tin of Samuel Gawith Squadron Leader (SG SL). I tried the steam trick, and transferred the SL label from the tin to the tobacco bar jar. It looks pretty sharp, and I'll have to do that all the time.

So now I'm sitting in my smoking chair and puffing on a Pete full of SG SL, and really enjoying the peace and quiet. SL is my favorite "English" blend, and for me it's the standard by which to measure all "English" blends. It's not really Earth-shattering, and it offers no life changing Latakia experience. It's just a really well-balanced blend where all the constituent tobaccos all sing together in perfect harmony. Slightly sweet and smokey, and kind of intoxicating. I feel sorry for those who just can't seem to slow down and be able to savor a pipe, because an experience like this is just wonderful.

Happy piping, y'all.

2. Jimmy Bukowski

Jimmy Bukowski Member

I just had my first SL today.Love at first bite! It was so good that I kinda went a little crazy puffing.Ouch.... I'd say this is my favorite so far. I also smoked a bit of Frog Mortons Cellar.It's good, no doubt about it. However I just can't get over SL. My next tin to crack open is Dunhills Nightcap. Excited to give it a try, but might hold off so I can enjoy my new discovery.

RTOdhner likes this.
  3. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Well-Known Member

SL is like the "steak & beer" of the tobacco community.
    (and I want to try that steam trick for the label as well)

RTOdhner likes this.
  4. Jimmy Bukowski

Jimmy Bukowski Member

What is the trick?

5. WrightwoodJohn

Not entirely sure, but I would imagine if you hold the tin over some steam from boiling water you can "lift" the label off. Then apply it to a nice canning jar.:bing:

6. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Exactly. You can steam the label off the tin and transfer it to a jar, and the glue backing won't be ruined and label won't tear.

7. Tortuga

Tortuga Member

I just received some of this in trade. I was a little worried I wouldn't like it. Definitely not the case. Adding this to my top five.

8. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

This thread caused me to break out a jar of my stash. Glad I did, too. Thanks, Roy.

9. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Ive got two fresh tins I'm
    about to jar up! SL is third
    in line for me right behind
    RRR, and Dunhill's Durbar.

Trauma and Dondi like this.
  10. WrightwoodJohn

That does it. I'm gonna be crackin' & steamin' soon !!

11. WrightwoodJohn

Ok RTO, it's not perfect but what da ya think? (besides the pic being too big)
    [​IMG]

12. Bman64

Bman64 Member

Sweet on both accounts. As I'm officially over the half-ass efforts on my ONLY B&M to gain or even maintain decent stock, I'm going to buy online. This will be on my first order....if its instock.
    Thanks

13. Goat

Goat Active Member

What size jar did you use there? The thing looks huge.

14. SteveH

SteveH Active Member

If you want to remove the health warning sticker on the front of a tin, but leave the main label in place, soak it in 'Zippo'-type lighter fuel. I dare say that'd work for removing the main label as well, without risking scalded fingers.
    I too love Squaddy!

RTOdhner likes this.
  15. WrightwoodJohn

It's only 5 inches tall, (getting used to my camera, it just came out that way)
    But that's a fresh tin of SL in there!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.