Frog Across the Pond

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by erickghint, Sep 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. erickghint

erickghint Member

I was really excited to try this blend. I've smoked the original Frog Morton, and Frog OTT and loved the hell out of both of them, so naturally I wanted to see what Across the Pond was like. I cracked the tin and was met with a very mild... fragrance? Aroma? Smell? Dunno... but it was nice and mellow, at least to my nose. Much like the others in the series, ATP was very easy to load and light, and didn't give me any trouble at all. I should mention that I let it dry for about 30 minutes before loading, and it was perfect. I also loaded two bowls of this without drying, just to see how it would go, and it was just fine.

I won't bore you with the whole lighting process, and instead skip on to the tasting bit...

I have come to love Latakia. The taste, the smell, the way it plays off of Virginias, everything. At first, I was a little disappointed with ATP, because there isn't a "punch you in the face" Latakia hit to it. It's VERY subtle, and you almost have to hunt for it. In this blend, at least to me, the major player is the Oriental leaf. It comes across in droves, and it's actually pretty great. Like I said, the Latakia and the Virginia are well in the background, but they're there. This is a VERY mild English to me, and I highly recommend it for those occasions that you might not want to get garroted by Latakia. I've personally really enjoyed it and I'll be keeping this one around for exactly the times I just described. Sometimes a really mild English is a good thing, and it took this blend for me to realize that.

2. jhe888

jhe888 Member

Nice review. Thanks. I think I will try some.

3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I believe ATP is Syrian rather than Cyprian Latakia - it's much smoother and softer to my palate. People say it's really strong but I find it kind of dark and silky. A completely different experience than Cyprian.

4. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

Dark and silky... that's a great way to describe it, Sasquatch. That's exactly what I think when smoking ATP. And the thing I absolutely love with ATP is that it feels very balanced. You get a nice shot of oriental, but there's latakia and virginia if you look for it. It's sweet, silky, and accessible. That's why it's my favorite favorite right now.

5. erickghint

erickghint Member

I agree with the silky description. It's one of the smoothest and well balanced blends I've smoked thus far. Loads of good stuff in there, and it keeps a very rich flavor profile without being heavy at all.

6. Tas Gunsmith

Tas Gunsmith Member

I agree totally with your description. I am yet to try this again but I'm not sure if I like this or the original better. Depends on the mood I guess. Either way the Frog Morton blends are special in their own right.

7. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Thanks for the review! Just added this to my latest TAD list :bing:

8. erickghint

erickghint Member

It is Syrian, in fact. The two different Latakias are quite different, even so far as being different strains of tobacco and different curing methods.

9. chambers11283

chambers11283 Member

Yall can have the stuff i still cringe at the thought of fireing up another Lat blend, which sucks i was really looking forward to a good english blend but i despise latakia, if i can ever find a pipe blend that taste like a really well made cigar i may do that cause after eating something sweet you dont want to turn around and smoke something sweet as well lol.

10. erickghint

erickghint Member

I really wish I could find the original post now, but alas I cannot. Here's my account from a year after that first Latakia experience, though. https://pipesmokersforum.com/forum/...l__+balkan++sasieni__fromsearch__1#entry61795

Give it some time, and try it again. I know a lot of people have said that, and I heard it a lot back then, too. Sounds nuts now, but after a while, you may find you like it.

11. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

Agree on all accounts...this is an exceptionally mile and easy tobacco to smoke...sweet and silky, with soft hints of Syrian. I always recommend it to the beginner English smoker...an easy transition from aromatics.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.