Frog Morton revisited

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Whalehead King, Jun 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Active Member

I know when I first joined this forum Frog Morton was being discussed extensively but it seems to have fallen off the radar. I recently got some straight FM and some FM On the Town in a trade. I like On the Town quite a bit. The regular blend seems pretty bland. Since we seem to have a lot of new members at the moment, I thought I'd open the discussion up again.

I really like On the Town and I would recommend it. It's not complex but it gives me a nice flavor on the front porch at day's end. I was surprised at how much I enjoy it since the reviews are lackluster: either you love it or its just okay and a smoker can do better. I'm an aromatic man so this was a nice introduction to uncased tobacco. I can see this as being an all day, everyday smoke and I'll be on the prowl in B&Ms. Anyone else want to weigh in? Is it heresy to say I prefer it Squadron Leader? I've never read a bad SL review.

While we're on the FM topic, how's On the Bayou? Again: either it's a perfectly subtle perique blend or it's not enough to bother with according to the reviews.

2. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

Of all the Frogs, On The Bayou is my favorite...love my VaPers and this one is an all-day puffer. OTT comes in at #3 after ATP...great intro to English-style tobaccos.

3. ryan65

ryan65 Member

I bought some of the regular FM years ago as everyone seemed to rave about it. I found it to be quite boring and remember an unpleasant aftertaste. I don't seem to be doing well with McClelland blends in general as I recently purchased Bombay extra and was punished with massive tongue bite.

4. hagbard

hagbard Member

I just recently got all 4 of the frog blends and have been experimenting with them. It's funny how you think that on the town is better than plain old FM whaleheadking as FM is my favorite and on the town is my least favorite. I 100% agree with the reviews which say that on the town tastes and smells like marshmallows. It's not for me. The regular FM has a pretty decent lat bomb but it's nicely balanced by the Cavendish IMO. I find that after about 1/3 of the bowl latakia seems to loose it's pronunciation. This is where the Cavendish begins to really shine. I think on the bayou is the same thing except that it's perique and not Cavendish and I find it a little out of balance with the latakia. * Personally if FM had a little more latakia I would probably smoke it as a staple. I find it really odd that people think it's plain and uninteresting. I also have noticed no poor after taste. I find the entire experience rather pleasant.

*Note that ATM I am not a big perique fan as I find it too sour.

5. ryan65

ryan65 Member

Maybe its the cavendish giving me a unpleasant aftertaste, as I got kind of the same vibe from peterson's Old Dublin. But I can't really diss the frog because its such a popular blend so they must be doing something right lol

6. nobler son

nobler son Member

I always agreed with the statement: "Frog Morton on the Town tastes like you're smoking a campfire. In a good way."

7. Gradog

Gradog Member

I smoked FM Across The Pond, or at least I saw smoke coming out of my mouth. No flavor to speak of.

8. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

FMOTT bears more than a passing resemblance to Old Dublin. Both contain Basma, a greek leaf (I think...) that renders a sweet, cedar/incense like smoke. Interesting stuff, but it is not for everyone. Old Dublin is like OTT's big brother or something - trade in the black cavendish for straight virginia.

I find the frogs I've had just a bit to heavy and sweet, but OTT I wouldn't turn my nose at if offered a bowl.

9. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

Frog Morton was one of my first smokes and I love it. Recently I bought a tin of FMOTT after seeing hom many people liked it here. After smoking it for a while I've decided its a bit too sweet for my tastes, although finishing the tin will hardly be a chore.

10. nobler son

nobler son Member

11. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

Funny, I never got "ass and regret" from the Frog. :xd:

12. HunterDave

HunterDave Member

Hey - just jumped in - really want to try Frog Morton based off of what everyone is saying - Where is the best place to order - I'm looking for Frog Morton on the Town.

thanks
    Dave

13. hagbard

hagbard Member

I just picked mine up at P&C as some cursory browsing showed me that they had the best price, if you order over $100 and get free shipping. Otherwise I suggest you get it from 4noggins as Richard there is great and P&C kinda turns me off these days for several reasons.

14. Sasqets

Sasqets Member

Because of this thread, I went and scored a tin of FMOTT today and smoked a small bowl on the way to work. At first, I thought it a little bland actually, and started to set it aside thinking that it wasn't for me. Then I changed my mind and stuck with it. Within a couple minutes, the flavor really started to come thru. It soon became quite enjoyable! This was my first foray into this type of blend and I have been happy with the outcome. Thanks for the good reviews!

15. nobler son

nobler son Member

JRCigars.com has all Frog Morton flavors in 100g tins for $13.50. Also, their shipping charge is only $2.50 for each item.

16. HunterDave

HunterDave Member

Thanks for the pointing me in the right direction - I am going to order some today!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.