Frog Morton..What's the Aroma?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Tas Gunsmith, Aug 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tas Gunsmith

Tas Gunsmith Member

I find Frog appealing. But would like to know what the tingling, maybe sort of spicy background aroma is. Is it the Latakia or is it something else. I like to let it drizzle through the nose and find that I almost want to gulp it. Thus I'm looking for ideas as to what is my perfect aroma.

2. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

Frog Morton is a blend of latakia and virginia. So it's likely the balance of the two you're tasting, as latakia has a smokey/leathery taste and virginias can have a grassy/sweet taste. It's a great way to ease into stronger English blends as FM is fairly well-balanced.

Since you like FM, give Frog Morton: Across the Pond a try. It's like regular FM but with orientals added, making it sweeter.

3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I'm going to guess it's the tangy side of the cyprian latakia.

4. commonsenseman

commonsenseman Member

To me it smells kinda "mushroom-y", at least the room note does.

5. Briar Tuck

Briar Tuck Member

Bit of question re the frog morton. The tobacco is primarily looks like black ribbons of rubber with tiny bits of light brown baccy. Is the all the black stuff latakia or is it different types of tobacco and is it black because of the type of latakia or the treatment of the baccy.

Also are the other Frog Mortons similar blends with different flavours or are they totally different blends all together. My point being that I thought it might be a good idea to get some Across the Pond/or Bayou for example to help me taste the subtle differences amongst similar blends if that makes sense.

6. woodbutcher

woodbutcher Member

Anyone who knows me, knows that I am a big fan of all the Frogs. Since this is obviously a biased response, take it with as much salt as you need.
    I agree with TS Gurley that the flavor in FM is the combination of the Va and Lat. By themselves, neither has that "spice" kick in the back of the throat. Together, they taste great.
    The dark black color has got to be something with the processing used. There just isn't enough Lat in any of the frogs for that tobacco to be the main color.
    Similarities and differences:
    FM is Va and Lat (probably Cyprian).
    FMATP is Va, Lat (mfg. claims Syrian), and Oriental. Smokier and sweeter than FM.
    FMOTT is Turkish, Lat (probably Cyprian), and Oriental (Basma). Lighter and sweeter than FMATP. Although the mfg. doesn't include Va in the ingredient list, I still think it's there.
    FMOTB is same as FMOTT with some perique added. Just enough "pepper" taste to set it off.

Hope this helps. If I'm wrong, please enlighten me. I still don't really understand why I like these blends as much as I do.
    Dan

7. Tas Gunsmith

Tas Gunsmith Member

Thanks Dan,
    That was a good explanation. I think with time I will have to try all of them as they are available.
    I know I'm in the same boat as you when you say that you don't understand why you like these blends so much. I know I really enjoy FM. It seems to produce clouds of smoke easily without needless puffing or getting hot. I love to fill the interior of the car when driving home on occasions and just soak in the atmosphere.
    Cheers Rolf.

8. Briar Tuck

Briar Tuck Member

Very informative. :thumbsu: Really enjoying the FM and since I have got better at smoking and packing I have realised it is a beautiful subtle smooth smoke. The next order will be a range of diverse full flavour toby's to work out what I really like however a new Froggy blend will be in the following order. Going to be hard to choose between th FMATP, FMOTT and the FMOTB.

9. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

The Frogs were originally blended to be "crossover" blends ie from aros to straight, so they may have some slight flavoring on them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.