Frog Morton

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by tigercasual, Nov 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tigercasual

tigercasual Member

Okay...

I finally tried Frog Morton (original blend) and man am I glad that I did. This has now jumped up there as an all-star in my rotation. So... now that I've tried it, I am looking for similar blends/different interpretations on this style. Not counting the other Frog Morton Blends (which I will purchase) anybody out there have any recommendations?

Cheers,
    TC

2. woodbutcher

woodbutcher Member

I suggest trying McC's 3 Oaks blends. They both use Va and Orientals. One uses Cyprian Latakia and the other uses Syrian.
    They give a good example about how a blend changes by using the two different types.

Since they are from the same source as the Frog series, they are similar, but, different.
    Good luck and enjoy.
    Dan

3. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

While I was pondering the question, Dan gave the right answer. The 3 Oaks are a very logical next step.

4. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Chesdin Mixture, Shortcut to Mushrooms, Commonwealth, 34th Mixture, HH Vintage Syrian, Old Dublin, Spilman Mixture....

5. jeffbee

jeffbee Member

MacBaren Plumcake. I'm smoking it right now and was just thinking about Frog Morton. Gotta get some on Friday.

6. Smoke 80

Smoke 80 Member

I am, as I type this, waiting on the UPS guy with my tin of Frog Morton On The Town based on reviews here, there and everywhere. Also, some Presbyterian Mixture. Again, rave reviews here, there and everywhere.

..so again, your post bodes well for me. Yet more evidence of this superior blend that I can't wait to try. You might want to try Presbyterian with that.

7. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

That is nearing the last rung of the latakia ladder. Not many places to go after Pres. :)

8. jeffbee

jeffbee Member

How does that stack up to Old Ironsides?

9. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Moos talking about going down the ladder, not up. Old Ironsides is the Lat Bomb of Lat Bombs. Balls out Latakia heaven. Yummy. MMMMMMMM good. All else bows in it's presence.

10. Smoke 80

Smoke 80 Member

Really? Have you tried this Obsidian? I figured that would be about the last rung. Larry's Blend is another that SMELL far more Latakian than Presbyterian. I have yet to smoke a bowl of the Presbyterian though. I have smoked Larry's and Obsidian. I've been back to Larry once or twice but my Obsidian still remains largely unsmoked. I'll be back though.

The Frog finally showed up and I'm about 75% of the way through this bowl. I like it a lot. Similar to Shortcut to me but more fruity.

These are my first tins. I have all plastic bags prior to this. I tried and tried to unscrew that damn Presbyterian and really started to feel my age until I read the damn manual on the side of the can. To the newbies, just keep trying to unscrew it. It'll give eventually.

Without nearly as much effort, I did manage to crack the can of Frog open. Like I do with CDs, I listen to the album and read the liner notes, I do the same with tobacco. You have to hand it to the Frog people, this is a really very nice artful presentation on this can.

11. Mister Moo

I said Pres was "nearing" the last rung; certainly there are a handful of smoke bombs out there that surpass it - but none so smooth, so responsible to the smoker and none, shall we say... so refined.

You need to read the tempo, the members, the posts and between the lines more carefully, Smoke80.

12. jhe888

jhe888 Member

I have only tried Frog Morton Across the Pond of the Frog Mortons, which I like very much.

I was also going to suggest Presbyterian Mixture.

13. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Presbyterian is certainly at or very near the top of my Lat. list.

It may be udderly the best I've ever had. :roflmao:

14. Mister Moo

Another (cow) pie in the face. Thanks so verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrryyy much. :whistle:

15. Stoked

Stoked Member

Too bad we can't post pics anymore. This would have been perfect for the old Bart Simpson "Don't have a cow, man!"

:roflmao:

Links just don't cut it. :thumbsd:

16. Mickeyfin

Mickeyfin Member

Just put presbyterian at the top of list....along with old ironsides...Thanksgiving is looking up:eek:hyeah:

17. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Presbyterian is one of my favorites. It would be excellent after a nice Thanksgiving turkey supper with all the fixins, a nice glass of red wine or port on the side.

18. Mickeyfin

Mickeyfin Member

Great thought, the port I think with maybe a little stilton, apple and pear slices to compliment the smoke, especially if your Thanksgiving dinner is late afternoon which ours is...allows for long walks, smokes and comfortable family time before...the guests arrive...learned this along time ago and, for us, it works well...now if your dinner progresses to the evening I would suggest sipping a Calvados, with that apple flavor...unfortunately the wonderful flavor comes from the more expensive vinyages as do most, lesser you should skip...too harsh.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.