Frog Morton?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Beale, Apr 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beale

Beale Active Member

I have been doing a bit of research. This seems to be a good baccy? Are they all good? i was looking at FMOTT? Any comments? Beale.

2. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Frog Morton original is probably my all-time favorite tobacco. Despite how much I love the original, I've never tried the other Frogs, but I hear they're all pretty damn good in their own way. It all comes down to personal taste, but I wouldn't feel bad recommending the Frog to anyone.

3. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

The four Frogmortons could not be more different from one another and still contain latakia!

The original Frog is probably the most tried and true pure recipe. But liking that one absolutely does not guarantee you'll like the others.

FMOTT is a lighter mixture with a very prominent flavor of Turkish Basma leaf. This produces a sweeter smoke that makes for a nice crossover mixture for those just getting their feet wet with the taste of latakia. On the other hand, a lot of experienced smokers also love it. It's my fave of the 4.

The other two use perique or Syrian instead of Cyprian latakia to produce distinctive blends.

Are they all good? Yes. Will you like all four? Well, that's for you to decide. :groucho:

4. r0n54

r0n54 Member

While I have not tried Frog Morton, I do smoke FMOTT and really like it for its lighter and delicate smoke compared to some of the other english or balkan blends that I smoke. It is a bit of a change up smoke for me that I can smoke anytime and enjoy it. It can be an anytime or daily smoke if you prefer something a little more mellow I think.

5. jhe888

jhe888 Member

I like the Across the Pond. A lighter sort of English mix, and I think it is the Oriental toby that makes it different from the other Frogs. I will try the others since they are so popular.

6. nobler son

nobler son Member

I'll cast a vote for Frog Morton.

7. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

ATP uses Syrian latakia instead of Cyprian, trading that smokiness we've come to associate with latakia for a smoother, creamier taste that's still latakia. McClellands seems to be the only blending house with a stash of Syrian these days and if you like ATP, you might want to try 3 Oaks Syrian.

8. cellophane

cellophane Member

I like On The Bayou. I'm not a huge fan of english blends, I usually hit VA / VA/Per blends, but its a pretty alright smoke.

9. jhe888

jhe888 Member

Creamier is a good word for it. Thanks for the info and the tip.

10. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

FM is the one Latakia blend I do not like (no offense to anyone on this forum who likes the stuff.) However, many smokers do seem to like it so I am likely the oddball.

11. RichisonB

RichisonB Member

I just ordered a two oz can of FM on the Bayou. The original is in my opinion is a very nice smoke I would recommend it.
    Happy Smoking :D

12. Beale

Beale Active Member

Thanks for the advice!! I plan on buying a Tin of one of them? Beale.

13. Albert

Albert Active Member

I love the original. In fact Im running out of it. Its the perfect night time after dinner type smoke for me. And my wife likes the room note (porch note) on it...bonus.

14. Redyserve

Redyserve Member

I really enjoy OTB, it has a very earthy taste. I like it with a cup of dark coffee. It is the only FM blend I have tried.

Myles

15. 6IXGUN

6IXGUN Member

I bought a tin of On the Town last time I was at a shop. Very good stuff. Haven't tried the rest yet, but I'm sure they're all just as good.

16. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

Have all in my 'rotation". All are quality blends...and all are their own blend. I highly recommend you try them.

17. Beale

Beale Active Member

Thanks again! I think I may try OTP? Beale.

18. delisle

delisle Member

Yes, do try OTP. I got it as a PIF from a member on another forum and it is a great blend. I like it while I hang out and play dominoes outdoors

19. slprl1

slprl1 Member

Frog Morton is probably one of the best tobacco's to segway to non-aromatics. Light, smooth consistent. I would start with that on then go to the other Frog's. As mentioned earlier, each one is different. No similarity at all.

20. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

I have and love FM and FMOTT.
    They carry all 4 here at my local B&M's and am probably going to cop the other 2 soon on my next B&M run. :thumbsu:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.