Funky re-lights

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Glenn, Dec 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

I have something I have been pondering and would like the input of some experts. Since I don't know where to find experts I figured I'd just ask y'all.

There are a few tobaccos that I smoke that are good to wonderful that taste absolutely funky after being re-lit. One of them is a favorite of mine. As long as it stays lit it is awsome. Let it go out, even for a second, and light it back up and it is just foul. Does not get better either.

Am I the only one or do y'all have similar experiences? I'd say 95% of the tobaccos I have tried light back up and smoke fine. It is just a handful I experience this with. Heck, some are better with a little DGT.

Any suggestions other than not letting it go out?

2. Jay

Jay Active Member

What kind of tobaccos? I have found that OTC burley's don't take to DGT very well. Va's do alright and Englih blends don't mind one bit.

J

3. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

The one that sparked this post is an English.

4. Jay

Jay Active Member

mmm, ponderous my friend, ponderous. All English blends or just one in particular?

5. SSGpiper

SSGpiper Member

I immediately thought maybe it was a blend with cigar tobacco in it...just a thought

6. freestoke

freestoke Member

As you smoke, the unlit tobacco below the ember absorbs condensates and precipitates from the combustion above. As long as there is a continuous burn, this tobacco only gets as hot as the ember it eventually becomes. Only so much of the increased strength comes out at once. Relighting a wet, concentrated dottle, full of distilled nicotine and stuff, runs the temperature WAY above what it would be if it simply burned away. Some of the byproducts of the relight are not what one gets at those lower temperatures either. These chemicals do not occur in as great a concentration when first lighting and also filter out through the tobacco below the light. Keeping the pipe lit may require a little extra puffing to restore the integrity of the ember from time to time, but it is not nearly as hot a process as putting the torch to it. Damping occasionally with the fingers or thumb over the bowl while drawing on the pipe helps make the ember a bit more vigorous without making it too hot.

7. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

No, not all by any means. Most every blend I smoke is fine. There is just a blend or two that I experience this with.

This one English in specific will relight ok early on but once I get half way down the bowl if it goes out and I relight I get a sour, foul, funky taste going on. If I smoke it all the way down without a relight it is fine all the way down. Very strange. I have smoked a pound or more of it and love it except for that. Luckily I rarely have to relight it and my approach now is to try a relight if I need it and if the funk hits I dump it and start over.

The only thing I could think of is that relighting the ash and pieces of mostly burned tobacco is causing it.

I just wondered if anyone else has this happen.

8. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

Freestoke, that makes sense. I can see that being the case. Thank you for the insight. Now that I have read that I think it makes perfect sense.

I am pretty good at keeping it going and rarely ever have to relight. It isn't a big deal but was something that puzzled me.

9. Jay

Jay Active Member

Freestoke has a good line on this as far as the science is concerned, makes sense to me.

Thinking of it now, the few aromatics I smoke have a tendency to be kind of nasty on the old relights--a wet mess of toby in the bottom of the pipe.

Maybe the blend is slightly aromatic/cased and this may be why the extra juice at the bottom is nasty when burned.

Might be the moisture content, but I'm sure you have that figured out.

10. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

No, it is not cased nor aromatic. It is very top end. Very good quality and widely acclaimed. I don't want to make it about a particular tobacco though as I have experienced it with a couple other blends and I am not trying to dog the blend. It is a fantastic blend.

11. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

I've noticed this with some latakia based blends and I'm sure blends that have cigar leaf in it will also taste like Yak-poop (only figuratively, and I don't know what Yak-poop tastes like, so don't ask).

Most toby DGT well or "ok" but some don't. It's better to just terminate/abort the bowl than to hope it comes back on the blends that DGT poorly. So you just toss out less than a bowl of toby...........woof!

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

12. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I have a couple blends that do this as well. I've found that if I run a pipe cleaner into the bowl and soak up most of the moisture, then let it totally cool before relighting, it will come back OK. Not as good as w/o a relight, but smokable and better flavor w/o the rancid burnt goop taste.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.