G&H dark plug

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by ryan65, Jul 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ryan65

ryan65 Member

is this tobacco still available? been reading reviews saying its really good and more complex than the dark flake. Well- I want some!! lol I think I will order a bunch of their other plugs and flakes cus I seem to be transitioning from english blends to the real deal holyfield punch you in the face tobacco's. I can't seem to get enough of this style tobacco and my normal rotation english blend pipes are starting to collect dust lol I'm getting my SG stuff today so I can't wait to try the Black and Brown twists!! :puffy:

2. hagbard

hagbard Member

Oh man! I hope you love those ropes 1/2 as much as I do! I just want to eat them!.....But I haven't yet.
    But back on topic. Mars Cigars has it listed but I have not seen it in stock for the last year; and I have been watching. IMO the Dark Flake is a little too "floral" for my tasted so recently I haven't been too excited about the plug. That being said, Rich from 4Noggins said he will order it for me any time I want. He said he places G&H orders every couple months. Give him a call. IMO that's the best option, because if it's not available he'll be able to tell you to the best of his knowledge why.

P.S. Brown Irish has by far the highest lelevls of vitamin N I have EVER encountered in any tobacco. It beats the Brown Bogie by a slim margin. First time I smoked it I was on the porch and my neighbor came over to shoot the breeze. I couldn't take it. Put the smoke down, excused myself and went to lay down. Hold on to your hat! And let us know!

EDIT:

Just re read your first line. Yes it is. Call Rich at 4Noggins. I have talked to him about this particular product 2 weeks ago.

3. Philthy

Philthy Member

Count me in also. Ryan turned me on to the Peterson Irish Flake and I love it. Bought two tins at Faders on Monday night. Just ordered two tins of Bracken Flake, two tins of Black XX and two more tins of Petersons Irish FLake from Pipes and Cigars. Picked up a lost tin of Kendal Twist #4 and an Erinmore Flake that managed to dredge itself up from the depths of the storeroom at Main St Cigar too. Hope they all live up to the Tobacco reviews descriptions. :whistle:

4. ryan65

ryan65 Member

the thing I like about G&H is their blends are supposed to be similar to SG but you can actually get it regularly and I love that you can get those big ass 500g bags so If I love it I know I can smoke large quantities and not be afraid of a shortage. I will definitely call him thanks! I just keep reading how this dark plug is extremely good and rich in flavor, and everyone says its a lot better than the dark flake. I haven't had either so I can't wait to dive into those as well! :thumbsu:

5. hagbard

hagbard Member

I'm sitting on a small bundle of Dark Flake ATM and it impresses me the least of all of the lakeland blends I've tried. This is due to it's heavy "floral" toppings. Aside from that it is a superb blend as all G&H blends are. Something else you might want to try is the Kendall Dark as it's the exact same blend, toppings and all, but in a shag form. Personally I like the cut a little better. Go figure.

And about those 500 G bags, the pictures always show the ropes all wound up like a Rubick's cube or something. Where the hell can I get one of those?! I have read on tobaccoreviews people talking about getting a "full twist" which is wound up and held together with a 10 penny nail. That sounds pretty aesthetically pleasing to me. If anyone can dig something like that up let me know.

6. Philthy

Philthy Member

Stop it !

There is seriously a limit on how much tobacco I can buy and apparently I have crossed that line at least three times in the last two weeks. At 1-2 bowls a day what I have is supposed to last me till I am about 60-65 years old but with all the different tobacco it will take close to that to figure it all out. :( God only knows what it would be like if there werent some brands that were difficult to get hold of right now.

(On the other hand make sure you keep me informed as to what youre getting/have and how you like it.) :thumbsu:

7. ryan65

ryan65 Member

hahaha man I think we have similar tastes in both cigars and pipe baccy, I wish I was smoking these flakes a long time ago lol I will be at the shop about the same time and want you to try the 1792 - its freakin awesome! :( the FVF didnt do so well in the dunhill but 1792 smokes beautifully in it!

8. ryan65

ryan65 Member

I think I will also try some of the scented dark flake cus it looks to be comparable to 1792 and if I like this one better than I know I can buy it in bulk. This one only has Virginia leaf and no orientals so I'm curious how this stuff relates to 1792 besides the tonquin flavoring.

9. Philthy

Philthy Member

I have some Black XX and Bracken Flake on the way as well ;)

Sounds like a tastey smoke fest!

10. hagbard

hagbard Member

Judging by how scented the "unscented" Dark Flake is, I doubt it is too much like 1792.

11. ryan65

ryan65 Member

well on tobacco reviews I kept seeing comparisons to the 1792 but I can't see how they would be related. 1792 has tanzania leaf which I think tastes similar to kentucky, then you got orientals and to me, a completely different blend. well tell me this - what G&H would compare to 1792? I couldn't find very many blends that even had tonquin so maybe there isn't lol

@philthy - I didn't grab the bracken flake, definitely want to know how it smokes!

12. hagbard

hagbard Member

Since trying 1792 for the first time recently I have too been looking for a comparable G&H blend. As far as I can tell either there are none or none are shipped to the US. There is no known G&H blend with tonquin, which is a major part of 1792. Also the toppings used in Dark Flake (unscented at least) are pretty strong and are of the "Lakeland" variety; meaning that it tastes and smells like some kind of floralish...I almost want to say cleaning agent. This is not a quality I detect much in 1792. By all means go ahead and get some. You might really love it. Personally I'm not interested in trying it because the unscented is almost scented too much for me. You may really like the toppings. And toppings aside it's a fantastic blend. Really robust and smooth. I too would be interested in trying the plug. If for nothing else than that I like to do as much with my hands as possible and tinkering with a huge slab of tobacco and my pocket knife would be fun.

You want me to send a couple bowls of Dark Flake Unscented your way so you can get an idea?

13. ryan65

ryan65 Member

sounds good! then I can get it by the pound at marscigars if I really like it :punk:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.