1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Gandalf pipes?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Old Ted, Apr 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

It's getting around to my 'sitting in the garden season' again, and for this relaxation - I like to bring out a churchwarden, or long clay pipe. Just the other day, my ten-year old grand daughter said - "Grandad, you've got so many pipes - but not a proper Hobbit pipe!". This got me thinking......I've seen them listed somewhere (can't remember where!) - and probably made from cherry or pear wood, if memory serves.

The question is - are they actually any good for smoking?, anyone useing one? - or point me to decent quality ones (if there are any!). I realize that to satisfy that little girl, I'll need to grow a long white beard, and wear a pointed hat!, but I tell her that Grandma sometimes thinks I'm a darn wizard! :D
    comments on these pipes appreciated.
    OT :bing:

ol gto likes this.

2. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

Look for the original German Vauen Lord of the ring pipes. theres a north american company mac something that are cheap and break allot.

3. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

David Emond likes this.
  4. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

I have a MacQueen which you speak of which is called the "White Wizard" and made of Ashwood. Been smoking it for over 5 years and had no problems with it.

SmokeyJoe and David Emond like this.
  5. David Emond

6. David Emond

Cool, i just read allot about production problems, taken them months to send out orders and that some would crack on the 1st smoke that is all.

7. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

I ordered mine from the MacQueen website and received it 4 or 5 days later. Maybe I just got lucky!

David Emond likes this.
  8. Klauswermann

Klauswermann Member

I really dig the look of those pipes, I just wish I could blow a smoke ship like Gandalf. lol

9. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

I like the look of them too. Though were I to get a pipe like that I'd just commission a look alike.

psquared likes this.
  10. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

Tempted to get one, myself now!

11. Klauswermann

Klauswermann Member

Thats a good idea, it would sure beat the quality, its kinda the only worry I have about the McQueens.

12. EmperorGix

EmperorGix Member

Try here: http://www.lunapipes.com/fantasy/index.htm . I have heard good things, but I have no experience with them, though I am considering buying a pipe from them... Dare I say, I would prefer a more traditional bit, though. Chewing on a sopping piece of wood might get bothersome.

Best of luck in your search though! Everyone else mentioned the brands I've known about. Let us know how it goes. :)

EDIT: Apparently, Luna Pipes does do acrylic bits... butter my butt and call me a biscuit, I stand corrected. :confused:

13. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Savinelli had some very nice ones but, these are the only ones I am seeing listed now...
    http://savinelliusa.com/Pre-set Pipes/qandale/
    The advertisements states..
    "Straight from the shire, Savinelli offers these unique, convertible long stem smoking jewels."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.