Gawith again

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by Prof, Apr 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prof

Prof Member

Ok, catch this - I have heard some folks talk about a particular SG blend that I have not tried, and so I got on Google and searched for it - to see if it was in stock anywhere.

A link comes up to one of our favorite e-tailers, and clicking on the link takes me to a page, where I am able to add to my shopping cart from one to 16 ounces of this unobtainium - and as I have not heard anyone mention it here or elsewhere, I click on the main "tobacco link" to go to the home page to search for other SG blends which may be available, and the tobacco I have just added (successfully by the way) to my shopping cart, say next to is that is it "out of stock" - WTH?

I have found a back door? Is there in fact a whomping load of this stuff about to hit, and I found the magic entrance going through Google that I can't get to going directly into the site and searching, or is this just a screaming tease?

I really don't want to say what it is and cause a stampede, but at the same time, if i can pick up a load, I want to do that...what do you think boys?

B

2. JuJu McMojo

JuJu McMojo Member

I dunno, seems unlikely that Google would know if SG is actually in stock at any given point in time. Follow the link and see how long it takes to show "out of stock." Many etailers are notorious for not maintaining real-time inventory on their sites.

3. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

Yes, you're right. It's a screaming tease. The few Etailers that get a load of Squadron Leader, are sold out in minutes. That's because many of their customers have placed orders for the tobacco knowing they would wait months for it to show. The item may show as stock but as the Etailer fills the back orders they run out.

OBD.

4. Tairusu

Tairusu Member

There's been quite a few times where I was shocked to see a particular blend in stock, tried to load up on it and then got an e-mail a day later saying they couldn't process my order, blend x is out of stock, etc etc. e-tailers are notorious for listing product they don't have.

5. tedswearingen

tedswearingen Member

Our site, Smokingpipes.com, does feature real time inventory. However, Google's memory cache isn't necessarily accurate 100% of the time. That's why you can do a search for "1792" and "Smokingpipes.com" and come up with a link where you can add the product to a shopping basket and purchase through our site. However, you will be very disappointed if you do this.

The best way to find out if a web retailer is in stock with an item is to either check their site or call them. Purchases that are direct consequences of search engine results are, as you've learned, a bad idea.

6. PipeMeister

PipeMeister Member

Yes I agree,it sounds like a cached link..not recommended as a way to enter into an online shopping cart transaction.
    I've purchased pipes from etailers months ago,some of these pipes still appear as "for sale" via a cached link" however, if you tried to buy them you'd be out of luck.

-PipeMeister

7. Prof

Prof Member

Dammit! I figured, but I had to ask!

Thanks.

B

8. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I wouldn't trust the Google result either. Just bookmark your faves on a few sites and check back often. It does seem like SG is starting to trickle in here and there.

By the way, Ted, you guys have a really fine site there at smokingpipes.com. :goodjob:

Herb

9. tedswearingen

tedswearingen Member

Thanks, Herb. Always nice to hear.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.