Gawith Hoggarth Bulk LOUISIANA PERIQUE FLAKE

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by GlassSculptor, Jun 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GlassSculptor

GlassSculptor Active Member

Anybody like smoking this? I just tried some and couldn't put my finger on the unusual taste. It reminds me of something but I can't quite figure out what....???? Not sure what the hell I was thinking but I just received 4 ounces of it....... :groucho:

2. IHT

IHT Member

i had a sample many years ago, and just got an ounce to remind myself about it.
    i love it. need to smoke more of it, may do that tonight.

3. The German Shepherd

The German Shepherd Member

One of my favorites...

Jay

4. GlassSculptor

You fellows are tougher than me then. I'll try it again tomorrow, but man that's some funky stuff. The tin note is great, but that TASTE..... :thumbsu:

5. The German Shepherd

If you find it not to your liking, let me know. Maybe I have something that you like and we could trade???

Jay

6. GlassSculptor

Thanks Jay.

PM sent.

7. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

GS & Jay...if you guys work out a trade please let me know when its done, we're getting the trading rep database up and going :thumbsu:

8. IHT

IHT Member

i'll have to try it again tonight and see if i detect any "funky" flavors that aren't present in any other Va/Per i smoke.
    someone mentioned that it had a slight chocolate topping, but i haven't detected that yet, and some sites have it listed as a non-flavored tobacco.

if you can't work a deal with TGS, let me know. ;)

9. GlassSculptor

Will do Andrew!

IHT, will do too... ;) It does have a nice chocolatey tin aroma but I just can't get past the unusual taste. I must prefer the "bandaid" taste that people sometimes use to describe Escudo.

10. The German Shepherd

Do you detect any lakeland florals perhaps?

Jay

11. GlassSculptor

I read the Lakeland Essence thread and maybe that's what I'm tasting. I haven't smoked any of the other blends mentioned in that thread, so that's most likely what it is. Definitely an odd taste and not one that I was expecting in a tobacco. ;)

:roflmao:

12. hagbard

hagbard Member

Bang! Right there.
    All of the "Lakeland" blends have a very distinctive aroma/flavor. Some blends have more than others. I love them but when the topping is too heavy it turns me off a bit. There is a lot of discussion going around about this. They seem to be love 'em or hate 'em blends on the whole. I have seen people liken them to "the armpit of a French whore after a hard night's 'work'". For my money I don't think there is anything better than the SG Black Rope XX, except maybe the G&H Black Irish, which for all intents and purposes is the same thing. There is usually a good bit of talk about this on tobaccoreviews, so a quick browse over there will help you get an idea of which blends have more or less "whore armpit" than others.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.