Gawith Rope Nicotine

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Kiowapipe, Apr 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

I love reading reviews of the various Gawith ropes and plugs for the hilarious accounts of how strong the nicotine is. I've never tried any of them myself, though it's inevitable that I will. In fact, knowing myself, I wouldn't be surprised if I accept the long-standing dare to bite off a chunk. My question is what in the world do they do to that stuff to make it so strong? Curing shouldn't increase the nicotine level, should it? Are they boiling cheap tobacco and then soaking the rope in the juices or something? Interested to hear your thoughts.

2. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

African tobaccos tend to be strong, and English blenders use a lot of African tobaccos. I don't know whether it's the soil, climate, or plant breeding, or all three. Malawi and Zimbabwe are both big tobacco producers.

3. Kyle Black

Kyle Black Member

They really aren't that strong. They are heavy in nicotine but nothing to smoke by a toilet.

They are good though I smoke Black XX daily.

4. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

I've long since tired of "the hilarious accounts of how strong the nicotine content is" of G&H and SG twists, like most internet yarns - a little bit probably gets added each time the subject comes up, and some of the tales of people having to sit down, or go to bed, or not able to drive or walk straight get a bit silly IMO.
    They have been my main tobaccos for around fifty years - I always go back to them for the simple reason that nothing else smokes as cool, as flavourful, or is as satisfying....well, perhaps one other that has held my affections - Condor flake, (another tobacco that strikes fear in the hearts of smokers used to mild,scented or Vanilla flavoured stuff). Yes! - they are strong, but with sensible use, may become your 'go-to' too!
    OT

5. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Yeah, I take them all with a grain of salt and expect most are embellished, but the cleverer writers still usually make me chuckle. I look forward to giving them a try myself and getting to the bottom of the matter. Any particular that you'd suggest, Ted?

6. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

I think it is more a question of what you guys can get - over there!, bear in mind that Brown twist is stronger than the black, but is just straight VA tobacco, with no added flavor. I've mentioned here before - and it is in no way bragging - I am still in the fortunate position of being able to visit my tobacconist and buy this sort of stuff OTC each week! (don't know how long this happy situation will last though! - hopefully as long as me! LOL). Maybe one of these gents with a coiled-up rope in the cellar, might trade you a sample.
    Cheers, OT

7. Kyle Black

Kyle Black Member

I'd be more than happy to send some rope your way. The only one I have is Black XX, its a good fearful smoke a little lighter than brown rope but more flavor in my opinion. Just send me your address.

8. scavenger

scavenger Member

What exactly is the dare? I'm one crazy son of a gun and I would make a video of me doing this and post it for all to see if anyone would like to put me to the challenge.

9. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

lol... Well, it's not exactly a formal dare, just something many pipers jokingly talk about then uncomfortably chuckle and shudder. Take a piece of one of the more serious ropes (I haven't tried any yet, but I understand that Brown Twist is right up there) place between the molars, and bite yourself off a good hunk of it. Then proceed to chaw away until you're satisfied (or as would be the case for most of us, you get the N-sweats :startle: and start twitching :sick: ). Legend goes further that once you're done you can save the gnawed wad and once it dries out a little bit you have some fine mild baccy for your pipe. I'm not sure I can in good conscience encourage this, but I have to admit I would probably watch that video, especially if you smoked it afterwards :xd:

10. beeftip

beeftip Member

I have a good tolerance for the nicotine in some of the purported "high test" blends. I'm an occasional cigarette smoker and former dipper and snusser.

When I smoke cigarettes, I smoke American Spirit. When I dipped it was always Cherry Skoal. Snus, well, that was Thunder Wintergreen. Oh, I also snuff Rooster.

The point is I have experience with high doses of nicotine and as such, generally speaking, I am not negatively affected by the nicotine in ropes and other nicotine hammer pipe tobaccos. That being said, I have gotten sick from two pipe tobaccos, namely Irish Flake and Dark Plug. But I love them both and have learned to respect them.

I would love to get my hands in some SG Brown Rope. When I do, I will pay it the same respect as Irish Flake and Dark Plug.

Don't discount the reviews of ropes and other such high nicotine tobaccos. Yeah, they may be a bit embellished, but that doesn't mean you should just go full bore on a bowl. Just pay them some respect until you know how your body will respond. And definitely don't discount them either. These are the pinnacle of pipe tobaccos as far as I am concerned.

11. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

My first encounter with "high octane" tobacco was Condor Flake, sent by a friend over there. I promptly filled a large (group 5) pipe and sat back in my easy chair to enjoy....empty stomach...oops!

About 2/3 of the way through, I decided to get a cup of tea, and couldn't get out of the chair. Took three tries to get upright. I admit that I'm a bit of a lightweight with nicotine, but this was my first experience like that. I've since learned my limits, and smoke these in a small bowl, and on a full belly.

Don't get me wrong...I love them. Condor is a regular, and black or brown pigtail are weekly treats...I just need to smoke them in smaller doses than other blends.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.