1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

GBD pipes---a question?????????

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Russell Hartman, Mar 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

I have recently found two absolutely pristine GBD pipes. One is a "International" 5291. The other is a VERy sweet little bent bulldog "Sable" 9438 with a grayish colored stem. I note that both of these pipes have awesome grain, and are in what I will term as just about brand new as far as their condition. Well taken care of pipes. I researched at length the GBD pipes on line, and know dating, and such is hard. The question is-----What is your opinions on the GBD pipes, and would you grab these two pipes for a reasonable price. I have inspected both--held them--took them apart---engineering is great on both, and grain is VERY nice. What say you fellow pipers----should I do it???????????

2. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Nice grain, well-drilled, good condition, reasonable price... I think you've answered your own question :)
    GBD has a pretty good rep. I have one that's old enough to have the little bronze badge on the stem. It's an excellent smoker.

3. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

From my understanding, any 'pre-Comoy' merger GBD should be a safe(r) bet. This aside, the fact you have had the opportunity to handle them both should tell you even better if they are a good deal or not.

Kiowapipe likes this.
  4. Russell Hartman

Kiowapipe---------the International pipe I figured is about a 1974 era pipe---it has the bronze badge on the stem. The other is painted on, and I know its a later pipe as far as age. I went ahead, and did it. I do not have pictures, but both are in PRISTINE condition. I have gotten EXCEPTIONALLY lucky lately. A local shop had a box of estate pipes that an older gentleman brought into him. He no longer wanted them as he is very old, and no longer wanted them. There were some Stanwells, GBDs, a Elliott Nachwalter, and some others. Some did not really grab my eye. The Elliott Nachwalter, and the two GBDs I spoke of are now mine. These pipes are like new---MY JAW LITERALLY dropped when I saw them. The others were nice too, but the Nachwalter, and the two GBDs-----several other guys new about them, and told me that I better get them right now because if they came in this Saturday coming up, and I didn't grab them that they were NOT GOING TO LET THEM GET AWAY. I feel VERY lucky to have found them.

Kiowapipe likes this.
  5. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Cool beans! I have a Nachwalter as well. You have any info on it?

6. furious

furious Junque collector

GBDs are usually good smokers--especially the older (Pre-Cadogan) ones. I have an old New Era that I paid $5 for that smokes just as well as my finest pre-trans Barlings or Dunhills.

7. Russell Hartman

Yinyang--------I picked up the Nachwalter earlier on in the week, prior to the two GBDs. I had a thread I started about that one. It is from his New York City days. If my memeory serves me right its # is 1080--I think. It is in fabulous shape---I had researched it also before dropping the hammer to buy it. I have cleaned it, but it was already pretty much spottless in, and out. It smokes great. Every now, and again I feel lucky. The older fellow that brought the pipes in simply didn't want them anymore. He wanted to consign them---I was lucky enough to be there at the time, and as I said-----IMMEDIATELY---------the Nachwalter, and two GBD pipes jumped out at me. They are like new, and when I say pristine condition---I am not exagerating. I hated to do it, but several other guys also were there, and literally abouted crapped their pants as the pipes were older, and in great shape. Its nice to be able to finger them, take them apert, and do a really good inspection of them------so I grabbed them while I could. I knew if I didn't they would be gone in VERY short order. For me its far from everyday that chances like that come along. I feel VERY fortunate to have been in the right place at the right time. It usually works backwards for me-----a dollar short, and a day late---------or in the wrong place at the wrong time:ohyh:

furious likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.