1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

GBD pipes ?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by ChrisD, Aug 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisD

ChrisD Member

What do you guys think about GBD pipes? I've seen a few that sure look nice, but I haven't really heard much about them. Any differences between vintage and new ones worth noting?

2. Longrifle3006

Longrifle3006 Member

I've heard it said that the pre-Comoys merger GBDs are better made, but I don't own any of the later generation GBDs. I do have a couple pre-merger GBD estate pipes, and I'm satisfied with their quality.

If you are looking for pre-merger (pre-1981) GBD estate pipes, look for the ones with the small oval "GBD" medallion inset into the stem. The later ones are stamped or engraved on the stem.

3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I think it's probably fair to say that there is no similarity between vintage GBD pipes and the new ones. The new ones are cheapish French (I believe) production pipes, and the old ones were English made, top end units.

I got a GBD churchwarden a few years ago. It arrived with a ridiculously thin shank, pre-cracked for my convenience. Smokes okay but it's an unremarkable pipe.

4. ChrisD

ChrisD Member

Thanks for the advice !

I missed out on a sweet vintage GBD bulldog the other day and im still kicking myself about it.

Have seen a few new ones, but they don't sound to be anything like the vintage ones.

5. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

I'd go with the comments so far; when I was young these were a pipe to aim for and seen as a really good brand; now while they are certainly not baskets they are factory produced units made to a price - in British pipe terms I'd rate a Peterson higher, and count these about the same as a Dr Plumb's.

For the price you'd probably be better offf with a good estate Kaywoodie in my personal opinion,

Gerry

6. Old Mr. Wilson

Old Mr. Wilson Member

Hi all. I have a GBD Calabash Briar "Autumn Gold" and it is made in England. I believe I bought it about 12 years ago or so. I had thought they were originally French long ago and then went to England and now they are back in France? Mine is a great smoker and looker.

Great to see y'all. I've been on a 3 month project at work, then went on vacation twice and recently had 2 Gout attacks in 3 weeks and am recovering from the last one. Will try to post more and sorry for the long post! :dunno:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.