Germains Rich Dark Flake

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Piperatthegates, Mar 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Piperatthegates

Piperatthegates Member

I'm told that this is Stonehaven under a UK name. Well its made by the same people down in Jersey which is all I can say on the matter not having ever smoked Stonehaven, I'll leave that comparison to smokers better qualified and who have smoked both. But what I can say is that having smoked this for a week now and having just received another load, I'm ready to put yet another order in. Beautiful beautiful tobacco, from the aroma out of the packet, a rich fruity, figs maybe? and definately a hint of whiskey in there somewhere. The long thin dark flakes which just ooze quality and the totally trouble free handling, packing and smoking. Full of the richest flavour and giving off a remarkable plume of smoke and great roomnote to boot. Jeez what can I say, this tobacco is just total class and now my absolute top favourite.It never goes out!! Just keeps sitting there waiting for the next draw without burning away, holy .... !

If Stonehaven is even remotely anything like GRDF then its just oh so obvious why its gained such a reputation and also why smokers are so eager to cellar this beauty for future times. Now I just took to smoking cobs for the first time also in the past week, two Generals, a CG and Corndog are what I've managed to pick up and I have to say they match the GRDF perfectly. Amazing how in the space of a week the smoking habits of over thirty years can be changed and improved on, what a remarkable hobby this is, don't you just love it. :bing:

I'm off to Greenwich to enjoy the sun with a couple of cobs and the camera, hmm, nice pipes and a beaut of a baccy, can't go wrong.

2. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Yes, it's the same stuff - I often buy some at a reduced price when over in Belgium, it's nice - but over here, if it was on the shelf with Condor 'Long Cut' (and it often is) at my tobacconist......the Condor would still be my choice! YMMV

3. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Enjoy and hope you get some good pics!

Piperatthegates likes this.
  4. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

Your description reminds me of the Stonehaven sample I had. Stonehaven is one of the most unique and all together pleasing tobaccos I've tried, so far. Everything about it says "high end".

5. Piperatthegates

Piperatthegates Member

I went into town today where I et an old Irish friend who has smoked a pipe since he was in nappies but he has always stuck to Murrays plugs, Warrior maybe, I showed him the pouch and when he smelt it he was just clearly impressed. He just kept wanting to smell the GRDF but eventually he smoked a bowl. He knows his tobaccos, maybe not the particular blends but he knows quality and he asked me to get him some, Now thats coming from a guy who you'd never get to smoke anything but his beloved plug. You're right, it is unique, not just unique, its as you say, 'high end' and total class, I love it.

6. Piperatthegates

Piperatthegates Member

I like Condor too, for some strange reason even the supermakets down here only stock the ready rubbed no, I have to go into London Bridge to get the Long Cut. GRDF though is really quite different as I'm sure you appreciate, the rest, taste, is purely subjective. Both class baccys though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.