getting even lighting..

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by sonsw87, May 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sonsw87

sonsw87 Member

I was wondering whats a good way to get good even lighting. I circle my lighter/match when im lighting but after few puffs the ember only shows on part of my bowl... Is this because my tobacco isn't lit up properly? or some other reason? any tips on lighting properly?

2. Gandalf

Gandalf Member

I am by far a pro at this, but I found I was having the same issue and learned through trial and error that i was packing my baccy a little to tightly. Don’t cram it in your bowl, sprinkle it in until it crowns and gently mash it down and repeat this about 3 times or until the bowl has filled to the rim, you should have little to no resistance when you pull through the stem. As I said, I'm no expert and may be way off, but it worked for me... Happy smoking and good luck... "D" :bing:

3. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Sometimes you may need to char the top a couple of times before you tap and light, use a soft flame and slow draw to char and light your pipe bowl.

Pschoppy48, WyoBob and dwaugh like this.
  4. sonsw87

sonsw87 Member

This is my amazing drawing of the different kinds of ember I see in my bowl..
    [​IMG]

The first one i see right after i light. Second after few mins of puffing.. and last one i usually see after relights in the mid bowl..

MrJarvis, Marker and dwaugh like this.
  5. sonsw87

sonsw87 Member

Hope my perfect drawings help you understand my situation.. They are so good... maybe I should have went to art school... oh wait i did...:bdance:

Ted Vig and dwaugh like this.
  6. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

I can't help, I know you are "supposed to" have the big even ember that burns down to the bottom..... that never happens for me. I get all the things going on in your pictograms.

7. Brian

Brian Member

You might work on your packing technique some. It sounds/looks like the air is flowing unevenly through the tobacco. There might be unevenly dense and lighter areas. Try rubbing the tobacco out more finely? I think that helps to get a feel for each blend of tobacco, at least at first.

I agree with Cobbsmoker. You might try charring the top a couple times. I do that with some of the more challenging blends (wetter cased tobaccos, or ones that expand a lot at first like thicker flakes). By that, I would add:

1. Light up as evenly across as you can.
    2. Puff gently for 30 seconds to a full minute, letting the top layer of tobacco burn up a bit. It will expand and get all uneven at the top.
    3. Tamp down ever so slightly, just enough to flatten the ash. Be ever so gentle.
    4. Char again like in steps 1, 2 & 3 above.
    5. Repeat even a third time to be sure (while you are getting the hang of it).
    6. Tamp down this layer of ash nice and flat, perhaps applying slightly (very slight) more pressure around the edges of the pipe to focus the air flow more towards the center of the bowl.
    7. Final light -- nice and even across the surface.

Sometimes the stuff just doesn't burn perfect. But if you have a good, thick coal area burning, it will tend to branch through the rest of it over time and burn it all good enough.

Pschoppy48 likes this.
  8. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Also, after you have charred the top a couple of times, gently tap the ash smooth, this will help evenly distribute the flame across the top of your bowl and all the way around the edge for a more even light.

9. kb7get

kb7get Member

Stare at one of the pictures for 60 seconds. Then look at the inside bowl of your pipe. Repeat for each stage. Now I know what to look for. :startl:

10. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

The bottom one looks like my eyes did in college.

DiscSlinger and Schmitz Bitz like this.
  11. AK Kilted Guy

AK Kilted Guy Member

My first reaction was that this thread was about getting lighting correct in a photo...... just where my mind goes.

dwaugh likes this.
  12. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

My new Wallpaper

13. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

It starts w. how you pack it.

Once you pack it correctly, (there's links that show you to do that & I won't beat a dead horse) light the pipe. This is the charring light. Puff long & slow, make sure you get a few cinders going. If it is uneven, it's ok.

Second light: use the ENTIRE MATCH. Puff short & hard puffs, you should be creating a lot of smoke. THIS should be an even light. If not, then try it again. Once it's lit, there is no longer a need to puff aggressively. This is where I puff lightly & tamp to spread the cinders deeper down, but I don't press hard.

If you hold the pipe straight, it will burn evenly. If you let it droop, then more tobacco will burn in the back (the air-hole side) & less in the front.

14. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

This looks great on my fridge...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.