1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Getting my Viking modified

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Anthony J, May 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anthony J

Anthony J Member

My viking has a wonderfully shiny finish - but I get so frustrated when I accidentally burn the shiny finish around the top of the bowl... BUT I happen to be friends with a very skilled pipe maker.

Which is why I'm going to have my friend Nate King (http://www.natekingpipes.com/) do a partial blast around the top of the pipe. Here's my question - how far down should I have him go?

Also, I've been considering having him blast a little ring by the metal ring on the stem - but I think that might be going a bit too far. Your thoughts on all of this?

[​IMG]

2. Buckshot

Buckshot Member

I think your idea is a good one. That pipe would look good with some blast or rustication in those areas.

As to how far down the rim, that would be a personal choice but I would probably have him go down about 1/8 of an inch. Maybe slightly less. I would want it visible from the side, not just from the top.

This Robert Leslie pipe of mine started out with a smooth finish. Robert added the rustication and I think it looks great. I think you're onto something with your idea.

[​IMG]

RTOdhner likes this.
  3. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I say give Nate a general idea of what you're looking for, then let him work his magic. If you're gonna commission an artist to do a work for you, then give him the artistic freedom to craft a work of art according to his own sense of inspiration.

MikeInMaine, surlysoul and Buckshot like this.
  4. esteban

esteban Active Member

Man he makes some nice pipes......Please post results...

5. Anthony J

Anthony J Member

Definitely will do - I have no idea how long it'll take him to do, though. Depends on his workload.

6. MikeInMaine

MikeInMaine Passes for human

I agree with RTOdhner. Give Nate Artistic freedom to do it how he feels would look best.

RTOdhner likes this.
  7. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

That don't look like my Grabow Viking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.