Getting started, and what's the difference between these 2 MMs?

Discussion in 'Corn Cob Pipes' started by derangedhermit, Dec 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. derangedhermit

derangedhermit Reclusive member

Washington and Legend. The bits are different, and the cob looks dyed yellow on the Legend. Can't tell about size.

The Washington about $1.50 higher price (25%!). Maybe they are "select" cobs. :)

I wanted what to me is the classic cob, with straight sides. The 5th Avenue looks like the closest, but I also sent off for a Washington and a Gentleman too. They all have rounded bottoms, though. For some reason I think the classic cob had a flat bottom, so the bowl looked like a cylinder. But I don't see one like that at all.

I also envision the classic cob with a straight stem, but I ordered bent anyway, since that's my thing.

I ordered direct from MM. I figure they can use the extra $3 on fertilizer.

I also sent off for a couple Forever stems. I didn't want to be switching around all the time, but one per cob seemed excessive.

So starts my foray into corncob pipes!

Lee

2. TheKiltedOne

TheKiltedOne Active Member

If I remember correctly the Legend is plastered and the Washinfton isn't but I'm not 100% and MM's site isn't working on my phone.

3. JRobert

JRobert Misanthrope Forum Guide

http://www.pipesmokerforum.com/forum/showthread.php?390-MM-Corncob-Buying-Guide

As I read this (and the MM site), both are plastered and finished, but the Washington has a black stem, while the Legend has an amber stem. There should be very little difference between the two, and both should serve you well. Personally I like the unfinished Pride -- I think the unfinished cob "fins" acts as a heat sink to produce a cooler smoke, and I'm a cheap SOB so I like the price.

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/Missourimeerschaum/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=109739
    http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/Missourimeerschaum/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=109741

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
    Smarty Jones and derangedhermit like this.
  4. Aristocob

Aristocob Member

Lee,
    You are correct the the Washington and the Legend are quite similar. Here are the differences:
    The cob on both pipes begin as the same cob; either a Billiard, which as you state has a slightly rounded bottom edge, and the "Rob Roy" shape, which has sides that taper from a rounded top edge to a rounded, smaller diameter bottom.

The pic below which shows two Legends; the front pipe being a Billiard, the back being the Rob Roy.

[​IMG]

The Washington pipe has a smooth finish from two complete coverings with plaster of Paris, which is them mostly removed by sanding and then finished with a sprayed-on clear coat finish. Lastly the Washington gets a black stem.

The Legend gets a bit rougher, with a single plaster coating that doesn't doesn't get fully sanded, followed by a tumble in a cement mixer with a yellow-tinted finish. A yellow, or amber stem finishes off the Legend.

Otherwise they are the same pipe. They get the same wooden shank, the same steel ferrule, the same Medico filter and the same sticker on the bottom.

Is the Washington worth more? It is to many cob smokers.

As to your image of the "classic" pipe; it must be based on Mammy Yokum, because Missouri Meerschaum cobs have most always had a slightly eased bottom edge.

Scott

5. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Everything he said ^^^^^^ ..
    plus , I think the Washingtons are a bit bigger [ or can be ] than the legends , at least lately around here . The larger size is what turned me onto buying a Washington . I've been a Legend fan .. I love the amber and the yellowish stain . The Washingtons are smoother and are just as good smokers as the Legends . I love my washington but I own 4 Legends ... all MM Cobs smoke fantastic ! Just pick one out for whatever mood yer in

Ephraim likes this.
  6. Summit

Summit Live Simply.

My two Washingtons are my go to cobs.

Jimmy Bukowski likes this.
  7. Jimmy Bukowski

Jimmy Bukowski Member

I've had several different cobs, but nothing beats the Washington. I prefer it over many of my briars! However no matter which cob I'm smoking my wife calls me Frosty.

dBear, Summit and Fomalhaut like this.
  8. derangedhermit

Thanks for the link. I looked at the top of this forum for a pinned FAQ and found none. When I click the link, it comes up, but in a different style. The forum names are different ("Corn Cob Snobs")...pipesmokersforum.com and www.pipesmokersforum.com - I'm confused (it happens more and more easily).

I should have thought to check smokingpipes for size information. I thought the Pride was smaller - it seems of similar size to the Legend / Washington. I would have ordered one of those to try too, had I known.

After reading the Buying Guide, it seems that only the General has thicker walls, and I would like that. I can always cut off some of the top with my bandsaw. 5-6mm (1/4") walls are really thin (for me).

9. derangedhermit

Popeye too. I never knew anyone personally who smoked a cob.
    Thanks for the great info, Scott.

Aristocob and dBear like this.
  10. Aristocob

Aristocob Member

Nope, and we sell a bunch of them. The Legend, the Washington, the "neked" Missouri Pride and the hardwood Ozark Mountain pipes are all the same size.

ruffinogold likes this.
  11. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Are ya sure ... cause I picked up a Washington recently [ 6 months ] and it was taller and wider than any Legend I've owned . Maybe it had something to do with when the cobs were smaller [ bad crop or whatever ] and then this Washington showed up . Either that , or I lucked into a bigger one than normal .

12. derangedhermit

I think my favorite is going to be the 5th Ave. I'm hoping for thicker walls, and the interior size of the bowl is about what I like. But we'll see.

13. Codger

Codger Member

The only difference between the Washington and the Legend that I am aware of is the finish on the cob and the stem. They are both great smokers. You can't go wrong with either - or any M&M for that matter. It's really just a matter of which style, shape, etc... that you prefer.

14. derangedhermit

I just got a friendly e-mail from Dave Wolff of Walker Briar Works. I hope he doesn't mind my sharing it.
    That's customer service.

Old Codger, dBear and TheKiltedOne like this.
  15. homebrewer

homebrewer Member

I call this one my Popeye cob.
    [​IMG]

16. derangedhermit

A 5th Avenue, Country Gentleman, and Washington arrived yesterday. One surprise is that the Washington is tapered top to bottom (which is fine, just different than the pictures). I was also surprised that the CG bowl's interior was rough, and the other two smooth. The only real complaint is that the bottom on the 5th Avenue is tilted, so the pipe tumps over more easily. I'm working on getting a flat square bottom on it. I understand how inexpensive these are, but a flat square bottom is as easy to cut as any other, if one wants to.

All of these came with metal rings or caps on the stem, to keep it from splitting. In many places, I've seen pictures of MMs without any ring. Are metal bands standard on all MMs now?

17. derangedhermit

Trying to sort out the MM models, I made a spreadsheet. I'll try to reproduce it here. Take the numbers with a grain of salt.

The Missouri Pride is probably the biggest bargain in pipe smoking, if you don't mind the natural cob. The Legend refines the finish of the MP, but the price is still almost $5 less than any of the hardwood-bottom pipes, many of which are otherwise similar. No wonder it's so popular.

Does anyone know if the Great Dane Egg has a hardwood bottom?

Name.........................Shape...............................Bowl....Bowl...Pipe.....Bowl..............Bowl.......Filter...List
    ............................................................................width..depth..length..finish.............bottom.............price
    Miniature...................straight pot.........................0.55...0.9...3.5...natural.................cob.........no.....2.39
    Miniature...................straight pot.........................0.55...0.9...3.5...natural clear.........cob........no.....2.49
    Eaton..........................straight billiard..................0.65...1.4...5.6...natural..................cob........no.....3.19
    Pony Express..............straight billiard..................0.65...1.3...5.9...polished yellow.....cob........no.....4.49
    Mizzou .......................bent billiard........................0.65...1.3...5.9...polished yellow.....cob........no.....4.49
    Missouri Pride............straight or bent pot............0.75...1.2...5.7...natural...................cob........yes....3.99
    Legend.......................straight or bent pot.............0.75...1.3...5.7...polished yellow......cob.......yes....5.39
    Washington................straight or bent pot............0.75...1.2...5.7...polished clear.........cob.......yes....6.99

You can see they basically double the price for the hardwood-bottom pipes. Many of these come with "Danish" stems, but those cost no more on the MM site (50 cents) than any of the others.

Name.........................Shape...............................Bowl....Bowl...Pipe.....Bowl..............Bowl.......Filter...List
    ............................................................................width..depth..length..finish.............bottom.............price
    Patriot.........................straight or bent half-spool.0.65...1.4...5.9...polished stained..hardwood..no..9.59
    Great Dane..................straight or bent egg...........0.75...1.3...6.2...polished clear...............?........yes..9.59
    Diplomat.....................straight or bent apple........0.75...1.3...6.0...polished clear.......hardwood..yes..9.59
    Country Gentleman....straight or bent billiard.....0.75...1.4...5.9...polished stained...hardwood..yes..9.59
    Great Dane..................straight or bent spool........0.75...1.5...5.8...polished clear......hardwood..yes..9.59
    Diplomat 5th Avenue..straight or bent tall pot.....0.75...1.5...5.6...polished clear.......hardwood..yes..9.59
    General.......................straight or bent tall pot......0.80...2.0...5.8...polished clear......hardwood..yes...9.59
    MacArthur..................straight very tall pot...........0.97...3.2..10.0...natural................hardwood...no...9.69
    MacArthur..................bent very tall pot................0.97...3.2..10.0...polished clear......hardwood...no..12.99
    Freehand....................bent freehand.....................0.84...2.4...6.4...natural white or red..hardwood...no..26.69
    Freehand....................bent freehand.....................0.84...2.4...6.4...polished stained....hardwood...no..31.39

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  18. leacha

leacha Active Member

Just a reminder to all, those bowl numbers are not exact and should be used as a guidline. Dimensions are slightly different between pipes. They can even be off be a large amount.

For example. I have 4 diplomats. I can fit my index finger inside snugly on 3 of them. With the 4th I have rooom to spare. The cob itself is much thicker than the others.

Thanks for putting this together hermit, if you'd like I'll take some measurements of my dips and 5th and pm you.

derangedhermit likes this.
  19. jwh891

jwh891 Active Member

I own a Great Dane Egg and it does have a hardwood bottom, I would assume that the Great Dane spool does as well.

20. derangedhermit

Please do. I measured my 5th, Washington, and CG.

I got sizes off a couple web sites, and they both caution that the sizes are approximate, and their measurements do not always agree. The main idea was to give people a general idea.

It seems there are 4 size groups:
    - very small (0.55" bore, the Minis),
    - small (0.65" bore, about the bowl size of the petite Peterson 317, for example),
    - medium (about 0.75" bore, where many popular models are, and in the range of standard briar bowls), and
    - big'uns (with some real variety in size and shape there).

I read in the "Buying Guide" that the Diplomats actually changed size, getting smaller.

There is a little difference in most models between the pipe length of bent and straight, but I ignored it.

One factor is if you measure bowl depth from the stem extension or the bottom of the bowl. That is over a quarter inch difference right there.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.