Getting started, and what's the difference between these 2 MMs?

Discussion in 'Corn Cob Pipes' started by derangedhermit, Dec 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. derangedhermit

derangedhermit Reclusive member

Thanks. I could see and read that the GD Spool does, but nothing about the Egg, and that shape made me wonder if they carved a special wood bottom for it or not. That makes the list complete: all the $9.59 models have hardwood bottoms.

In researching size, I found *several* pipe web sites that sell MMs for much more than the factory does! Some good folks sell them for less, too.

2. derangedhermit

By the way, the 3 MMs I received all have tapered bowls, being wider at the top than the bottom. That surprised me. Has it always be so?

3. Trauma

Trauma Active Member

I read an article last year regarding the changes in cob sizes from year to year and MM explained that is due to how well the crop grows. I have two MM country gentlemen pipes and you would think they are different models based on their sizes.

4. Aristocob

Aristocob Member

If you want a second source, feel free to compare your numbers to mine from the Size Chart on my site:
    http://aristocob.com/Pipe-Size-Chart-W5732.aspx

5. jwh891

jwh891 Active Member

That's what it seems to be. If you look at the bottom of the pipe, you can see where the hardwood plug is a different color than the rest of the pipe. Looks like they attach it and then carve away and shape the pipe as one piece.

6. derangedhermit

Thanks, Scott! Great info from an MM guru, including a video! I don't know how I missed that page when visiting your site.

I should say that the depth and width measurements I gave are interior dimensions, what Scott calls in the video the "bore". I think it's interesting to know how big the bowl is inside so you can get an idea of how long a smoke a pipe will provide.

Scott shows an error in my chart I found, the MacArthur is not an almost 1" bore, it's the same as the General, about 0.8" or a little more.

My measurements were at the top of the bore, and each pipe I have has a tapered bore. You can tell that at least some of the ones Scott showed in the video have a taper, since the socket fit partway down and stopped on the medium-size pipes. MM must use a big tapered bit to drill these out.

My outstanding question is if all MMs now come with the metal stem band. If so, I'm wondering if there is any functional reason to have the wider band added at Walker Briar Works.

Aristocob likes this.
  7. Aristocob

Aristocob Member

You are welcome. As for the function of the wider band on the Walker shanks, I think that they provide two added functions: They are a true "ferrule", which should prevent cracking if the pipe take a spill. The second advantage is that it raises the "Bad Ass" factor by about 17%. Just my opinion.
    Scott

8. Ephraim

Ephraim Member

They vary is shape between the Cylindrical "Billiard" style, and the tapered "Rob Roy" style. In my last shipment I received an equal number of each bowl style.

9. derangedhermit

I'm sorry for being unclear. I was referring to the inside shape. The bores, the chambers for where you put tobacco, all have tapered sides. I have 5 MMs that way. It's a truncated cone. I'd say that while my pipes all have openings about 3/4" at the top, they are all no more than 1/2" at the bottom.

My guess is they started doing it long ago to help prevent burning out the bottom of the cob.

Most briars, on the other hand, have straight bores with a curved bottom.

Ephraim likes this.
  10. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

Check out Aristocob for you cobs. He's a memeber here and does right by all his customers.

Aristocob likes this.
  11. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

Yup. I've got some Legend's that are the same way. The first few I bought must have been from a stunted growth crop. They smoke just as well, but the bowls are tiny. The last few I ordered were huge. If I didn't know any better, I'd have assumed (as you said) that they were a different model.

12. derangedhermit

I'll cut 1/4"-3/8" off my CG and 5th Avenue bowls when I get the band saw set up. I don't want 2" deep chambers on them. Mine must have come from a good crop.

13. Ephraim

Ephraim Member

Oh ok, I understand now :) I was just looking through my collection and there are a few with bores as you described.

14. JRobert

JRobert Misanthrope Forum Guide

Are you going to cut off the top, or the bottom? Either way I have to say I think this is a really bad idea. If you cut off the bottom you will be removing the hardwood plug. If you think you need to cut off the top, just don't fill the bowl full. I guess it doesn't really matter as cobs are cheap, but I'll say again that I think this is a really bad idea.

And as a general comment -- please don't be offended, derangedHermit, but after reading several of your recent posts, you think too much -- smoke more, obsess less.

UncleVint, DGErwin11 and Coastal Bend like this.
  15. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

If you did that on a Legend...it would look ok (the top 3/4 of the bowl is the same shape). That's gonna screw up the look of either of the two that you mentioned. That also doesn't account for what's going to happen if you chop off some of the bowl and the corn splinters/doesn't cut evenly. It might end up looking like a$$. I'd leave them alone for when you want a regular smoke and pick up a couple of MM small cobs for quick smokes.

16. derangedhermit

The top, of course. I'm not offended at all, and thanks for trying to be helpful.

I just had my first smoke in the 5th Ave, a wonderful smoke, the first time I have tried Kendal Kentucky.

I have recognized one foolishness and abandoned my notion of having my Peterson reshaped - but MMs seem made for experimentation. My inclinations go well beyond what I've written up here. For example:

- There is some fake corncob pattern in varnish or lacquer on the stems of GCs and 5th Aves. In neither case does that brown shellac pattern match the cob's finish. I've sanded it off, and prefer the look of the result.

- I found the interior of the CG that I received to be unsanded - rough as a cob, so to speak. I sanded it smooth.

- The inside of the wood stems were rough in places, so I first knocked it down with a round file and then smoothed the airway with sandpaper.

- I took a small chisel and removed the part of the stem that protrudes into the bowl. It's easier to clean that way, and I don't want to smell the burning wood. I think I read about this on Aristocob's site or in the FAQ. If I had to do it again (and I probably will, on future pipes), I'd break the wood glue loose and remove the stem, letting me make a cleaner cut with a saw.

- I'm thinking about coating the inside of the wood stem with something like high-heat epoxy paint, something that won't let the juice soak into the wood, to keep the pipe smelling fresh. I'll probably do the same with my Peterson system pipes on that bare briar chamber, once I've found the right sealant on the MMs.

- The "bent" MMs aren't very much "bent" - not even a half-bent, much less full. I may in the future, on a new pipe, remove the stem, and using a drill press, redrill the cob at a steeper angle for the stem, and bend the bit more to match. I think a true bent MM would be a very nice pipe.

I'm not putting you at ease, am I? :)

17. derangedhermit

The 5th Ave is shaped like a Legend, the straight-sided ones anyway. I agree with your concern on the CG. I'm willing to try to do a bit on it anyway, since the rim on the one I received is very rough. If it was already nice and smooth, I'd probably leave it alone.

For no good reason, I like the wood bottoms. If they made a Legend with a wood bottom and the finish of the 5th Ave (or even better, the CG, I dig the black), I'd be all over it - it would be my favorite.

18. derangedhermit

I got closer to a 1/2 bent, on this Diplomat. I bent the Walker Forever mouthpiece to the angle I wanted, and it still draws the same. But I didn't get enough angle on the redrilled shank hole. It's tough with a curved bowl. Sometime I might try it on a 5th Avenue.
    [​IMG]

Does anyone know if one can buy just the cobs, or cobs cut and chamber bored anywhere?

19. leacha

leacha Active Member

Aristocob has the "Cob Foolery" kits. That just might be what you are looking for.

Aristocob and derangedhermit like this.
  20. derangedhermit

Thanks! I just ordered half a dozen of the Aristocob General kits. That should work very well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.