getting to the bottom of the bowl

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by user2453, Feb 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. user2453

user2453 Member

I know this comes up alot here but I am puzzled about it. I usually end up with some dottle or unburnt tobacco about the size of the end of my thumb at the bottom of the bowl when I end my smoke. It gets wet or bitter. I have made it to the bottom of many bowls of Dunhill EMP without problems and last night my bowl of Old Gouwrie just kept going. I think I would have made it to the bottom but after 75 minutes I was ready to put it out. I smoke rather quickly I guess about 2 puffs every 10 seconds or so. My smoke is always cool and I rarley ever get bite. Is there any reason I might not be smoking to the bottom? I have been drying out about an ounce at a time for an hour or so then tinning it up and smoking it until it's gone.

2. Capt

Capt Active Member

I have been smoking pipes seriously for about 15 or so years, and none of my pipes have any cake in the heel. I just do not like the flavor and burning characteristics of the tobacco after 3/4 way down. Yea, I might throw out more, but to me, if I'm not enjoying it, why smoke it. Doesn't bother me one bit.

The Big Fil, dmkerr, Lestrade and 3 others like this.
  3. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Mts, any gurgles or tightening of draw that you can tell? Using a pc to clear condensate & head-off a gurgle? Pipe caked on the heel?

Yes, if you are pulling 12 puffs/minute, how big are your every 5 second puff? Full mouthful?

Tobacco fall apart in the pinch moisture check?

Without smokin' witchya, i can't say but i bet the following:

You have excess moisture and aren't removing it.

Smoking too fast! No hot boxing a pipe, this isn't a race to the bottom.

Just a hunch from what little info you gave.

Ed
    Puff

FlatbushPaul and ol gto like this.
  4. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

It's rare for me to make it to the bottom of the bowl. Some smokes I don't mind, some just don't have the taste that I like.

FlatbushPaul and Lestrade like this.
  5. ArtisanArcher

ArtisanArcher Member

If I can do it without relighting I go to the clear to the bottom. This happens about half the time, give or take a bowl. But if I get down to the bottom and know that there's another 10 minutes there if I'll just put another match to it... forget it. It's more that last night that tastes terrible to me than the last bit.

6. whitebriar

whitebriar Member

can always do a Holmes, and save the dottle and smoke it in your morning pipe;)

7. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I make it to the bottom a little more often than I used to, but if I don't, it's usually because I'm just tired of it rather than having wet dottle in the bottom. If it is no longer enjoyable, I don't worry about tipping a little leaf out.

8. user1975

user1975 Active Member

+1!

9. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

I seldom have much more than a pinch or speckles of dottle. To me, all the builtup flavors are there. Ruff called it the opium! :). If the smoke starts to taste bad, i switch drinks or go eat something. Something palate cleansing. Like an apple. Then come back to a nice tasting smoke. Coke Zero does it for me everytime.

What i don't smoke is wasted....i hate wasting anything!

A broke-in pipe smokes to the bottom...if you don't push it.

Ed
    Puff

10. user2453

user2453 Member

My puffs are more like small sips, with a little longer draw every once in a while. It is cold outside so the pipe is not getting to hot, but I assume I should slow down a little. Tobacco passes the moisture check. I dry each bowl except the patton blends for about 20 minutes. I have some tobacco that is very moist and needs more like 3 hours of drying time. That is why I put out an ounce or so and dry it then put it in a tin.

11. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

+1. Pipe smoking is all about enjoyment.

Mark w4mms, Capt and FlatbushPaul like this.
  12. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I find the flavor gets better towards the end of a bowl, especially when smoking Virginia tobaccos and when I'm done I dump the ash. :)

whitebriar likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.