Ghost-Busting Pipes? Help!

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by Spartan, Jul 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spartan

Spartan Member

I would like to do something rather dangerous in the pipe smoking world...

I want to smoke as many different types of tobacco (aromatic & non-aromatics)in...the...same...pipe.:oops:

And i want a pipe that is good at warding off aromatics i guess is what i'm looking for. So does a CLAY pipe or some other strange substance natural or man-made help in NOT absorbing any of the previous tobacco? I dare not even suggest METAL pipes for fear i would be virtually trampled. :D But metal would make the most sense to me as far as not leaving any flavors behind. I just don't know if an "acceptable" metal pipe is even plausible.

I'm not sure if "Ghost-Busting" is a coined term yet in the pipe world but I would like to invent it right here and now.

Thanks in advance for the help.
    -Spartan

2. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I find minimal ghosting with my cobs, and they're cheap to boot.

They do ghost a little, but honestly for under 10 bucks who cares? Smoke a new blend, you might taste a hint of the last. Smoke the same new blend a second time, and all is right in the world.

At least, that's my experience.

3. Spartan

Spartan Member

I was thinking of buying a couple cobs and doing that. But if a pipe exists that has no ghost then I have to have it. Thanks for the Cob tip. Definitely a great option.

-Spartan

4. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

The problem lies more in the cake than the pipe material. Even with a pipe made from metal or glass (and I have, once upon a time, seen a pipe made of glass actually and honestly designed for tobacco) you'll build cake which will harbour the flavors of tobaccos you've smoked previously

5. Spartan

Spartan Member

But... if it's made of metal or glass I can wipe clean the cake or any residue left over. There should be no traces of bacco anywhere on the things...right?

6. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Absolutely!, my pewter 'churchwarden' is totally devoid of spirits - as is the 'cut-crystal' Rhodesian, but the titanium bent apple does retain slight mysticism from certain exotic blends:msty:
    happy exhorsisms, OT

7. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Meerschaum pipes tend not to ghost up much.

8. Mbalta

Mbalta Member

Hi guys, I'd go with what Sasquatch said. Meerschaum is your "one pipe fits all". Some brands have briars with meerschaum bowl linings, so that you don't have to be extra careful with it, as it tends to be more fragile...

9. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

The meerschaum doesn't ghost much but the stem does. Clean the stem thoroughly after each smoke. But the best pipe I've found to ward off the ghost is the Lepeltier clay pipe. Again, the stem will need regular cleaning

www.lepeltier-pipes.com

10. Spartan

Spartan Member

I'm trying to wrap my head around a Meer NOT ghosting. I thought the whole point of it was to absorb oils and such from your smokes. And everyone here agrees that there is little to no ghosting? EVEN if i put an aromatic in it?

And a question for clay pipes - I'm guessing it's completely wiped clean between smokes yes? Or do some ppl allow build-up? I don't even know if cake CAN occur in a clay pipe. And does the cork joint in the clay pipes retain any flavor from previous smokes?

-Spartan

11. dmkerr

The absorbtion is the point. It's absorbed into the pipe and away from the inside of the bowl. They ghost a bit but not like briars.

As for the Lepeltiers, I like them because I can smoke any type of blend in them and I can fill and light them over and over. Great for working in the yard. I can fire up 3 bowls back to back, and they can be 3 of any type. The cork joint definitely absorbs tobacco juices but it doesn't taint the smoke until the thing gets so saturated that it's wringing wet. Replace them regularly and you'll have no problem.

Oh, almost missed it - these pipes char on the inside of the bowl but don't cake. Cake is probably the biggest ghoster there is.

Beale likes this.
  12. WillH

WillH Active Member

Dan's right. I've smoked meerschaums for a while now and they do ghost a little - but not much. The aroma and taste of different tobacco usually leaves after just one smoke. Keep the shank and stem clean then there's very little noticeable effect from variouis tobaccos, IMO. Personally I kinda like the unique taste commingling tobaccos gives to pipe smoking. I'm not cultured enough to appreciate the particular nuances of most tobacco anyhoo....

Will

13. Beale

Beale Active Member

Thanks for this link! i am very intrigued by these pipes. The prices do not seem to bad either. The site has been bookmarked. Beale.

14. Spartan

Spartan Member

Allright thanks for all the feedback. Looks like all i have to do now if find a lepeltier pipe that i like. And follow that with a Meer.

Am i correct in assuming that the two are cleaned in basically the same way? I guess the ultimate question should be something like...

No cake in the Meers?
    Cake build-up is only desired/possible in woodedn pipes right?
    Thoroughly clean the inside of the bowl to my hearts content?

-Spartan

15. johnhwatson

johnhwatson Member

I use a clay pipes most of the time as they impart no other flavour on the tobacco so you get a pure tobacco taste and when the pipe needs cleaning all that needs to be done is place it in a hot oven/coals and it is as good as new.

16. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Roll the tobacco up with cigarette papers. Problem solved.

17. dmkerr

No. You clean the Lepeltier with hot water. It's really more of a ceramic pipe than traditional clay. Clays can be cleaned in a fireplace. These need hot water. Careful not to get the cork wet. Let the pipe completely dry before you replace the stem. The good news is they don't need to be cleaned very often.

No cake in meers, correct. After each smoke, I wipe the inside of the bowl with a paper towel. Cake is totally unnecessary and may even impeded the development of coloring.

18. Spartan

Spartan Member

Awesome. Great fundamental stuff to know! Seems like a clay/ceramic or a meer would be a good starter pipe? So that new pipers don't have to worry about all the things not to do to your precious wood pipes. And they can focus on the bakky they like first! Then worry about their next $40 - $400 pipe.

Ahhh... simplicity at last. Thanks for all the help!

-Spartan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.