Giving local tobacconist the elbow

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Stewiebob69, Nov 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stewiebob69

Stewiebob69 Member

Hi All,

After thinking things over with a smoke, I've decided to ditch my local tobacconist in town, as I've realised they're taking the mick a bit. I know I'm not the sharpest knife in the cutlery draw, but when you realise they've sold me something I didn't actually ask for twice, then time time to re-evaluate.

Firstly, I went in for Mick McQuaid plug, which i learned later comes in a pack, yet they gave me a tin of square cut flake (which was disappointing as dried out too much). Secondly, today, I asked for Sam Gawith Best Brown, which again I learned later came in a tin, yet they sold me weighed out loose flake, which must be Gawith & Hoggart Best Brown.

The G&H BB is a good smoke, fortunately, but the principle is that they're preying on my inexperience & hoping i won't find out. Well, I've given them the benefit of doubt, and they've now lost custom. They probably won't miss it, like, but i'm not impressed with their customer service. I found out what was going on by looking up the tobaccos on My Smoking Shop website, and cross referencing info. I do learn from my mistakes, eventually.

Take care

Stew

2. jmiket91

jmiket91 Member

That, or they could just be ignorant. Also, maybe they didn't have the tobacco that you requested and tried to substitute it, but they should have been up front about that.

Regardless, they're in the wrong, but I don't know if they were purposely trying to trick you.

3. SSGpiper

SSGpiper Member

My wife and I were having a conversation the other day about tobacco shops. If I owned a shop, I would not want to employ anyone that wasn't knowledgeable on pipe and tobaccos. Apparently, though, shops are out there that don't share that philosophy. It just boggles my mind that with all the shops that have gone out of business, why anyone in a specialized niche industry would have employees totally uninformed about what they deal in. That is akin to owning an auto repair shop staffed by people who don't know how to change a spark plug.

4. Stewiebob69

Stewiebob69 Member

You're probably right, Jmiket. But from now on, i'd rather deal with people who are knowledgeable about their trade and I am confident they are in a position to advise customers. This goes hand in hand with what SSGpiper has said, really. As I've been on PSF, I'm slowly but slowly becoming more knowledgeable (but still got a long way to go), so I'm less and less likely to get napped over time, and also I'll be more in a position to question the trader with any queries.

Cheers

5. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

A great shame what has happened and how you feel. I've maintained lengthy relationships with my three favourite tobacconists ( 30 years plus in one case ) and think of these as valuable - whenever I've wanted a special pipe or whatever they have moved Heaven and Earth to get it for me and usually given me a discount into the bargain.

Chris Corrieri at Brucciani's in Carlisle went to some lengths to get me a matched set of fault free blonde bowls for my birthday set of Falcon Extras and chivvied Petersons in Dublin regualry to make damn sure my Peterson Supreme arrived in time for our anniversary on 30/11 and has just emailed me to say it's in, he's checked it over and is posting it special deliver to Seahouses tonight.

Muriel in Ayr chased the Turks mightily til they produced the carved set of Holmes and Watson carved meers Rhona ordered for my Christmas last year and Jim in Durham always chucks in a little something extra and gave me my last piperack half price.

There are good shops out there and Lancashire is supposed to have one of the best around.

Don't be put off - find a good 'un and build a relationship - it really does pay off in the long term

Good luck in future

Gerry

6. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

That is a shame, Stewiebob. It makes me feel lucky to have a real knowledgeable set of people at my local B&M. I can go in and shoot the breeze about pipes and pipe tobacco for hours with them and learn almost as much from them as I do reading these forums. It's great. I hope you can find something similar!

7. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

I'm just jealous you guys have good B and M shops. All the ones around me are gones, just a few head shops left.

8. Burner

Burner Member

If you've got a tobacconist that stocks more than Klan (I dare not spell it correctly) then give them a chance. In today's climate people are inclined to get a sale where possible, or maybe they just don't know the difference. Either way speak to them and let them know where they went wrong - If they don't want to please you then kick em into touch.

9. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Great advice! I'd bring up the issue to the manager/owner and see what they do. You may get some discounted or free toby as a replacement for the mis-delivered stuff. If they do, then it's good for everyone and you still have a local B&M to visit. If they blow you off, then give them the elbow as you intended.

10. Stewiebob69

Stewiebob69 Member

Thanks all for your kind words of advice. I'll bear in mind what you say. I've been meaning to go to Preston up the road, as they have greater selection of stock anyway. I hope to build up a rapport with them over time, and see what comes of it.

Cheers,

Stew

11. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

The person who waited on you probably gets paid minimun wage. If you got the 'in house expert' they won't be in business very long. Or, their main focus may be on the cigarette smoker.
    Be well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.